PDA

View Full Version : walked today

naughty62
06-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Turned in the keys,What does a guy do when I have about worn myself out and some ungrateful employer pushes a guy to skirt the laws and do all kinds of unprofessional ,if not just plain stupid stuff? Some of these people who have never seen what years of ignoring ppe standard does to guy ,are in for a rude awaking.tumors , colitis,nerological problems.soon a person can forget to turn in bids ,daily schedules and not to whiz in their pants.If your scheduling software is between your ears take care of the computer.Have nice day.

boats47
06-04-2007, 04:50 PM
I hear what your saying bro. I have had the same problems, especially when trying keep my records updated. He sees this as not making $ and not something he wants to spend time and $ on. How do you relay this to your boss so they understand the importance of what we do? They all seem to what you to go out and squirt and fert as fast as possible so they can get the bill out ASAP. I guess it would take an incident for them to hit the real world.

ampeg76
06-04-2007, 08:42 PM
i would say its time to step it up, use you knowledge and know how, get licensed, start your own thing!

you can complain about it all day, guys like that never change, you are just a tool that can easily be replaced, so its up to you to protect yourself and your future!

cheers
mike

txgrassguy
06-04-2007, 10:53 PM
This reminds me of a discussion I had several years ago with a Chem Lawn rep.
He was complaining about excessive turn over of his applicators and it turned out he was requiring his applicators to up-date/correct records on their off time - without pay.
When I asked him why he mandated such an obviously unlawful practice he replied that the applicators were "milking" each job so he scheduled tighter routes.
Turns out this dude was from up north and thought his applicators were lazy.
I had my spray tank with me that day and I offered him the opportunity to pull 200' of hose on a smaller residence.
I was applying a fungicide to kill Oak Tree Ball Moss, had only thirty trees to spray and by the tenth one he was ready to drop.
He was complaining about how "hot and tired" he became and my response was since it was only 94* and 30% humidity in Spring time just wait until the 100*+ days with 70% humidity.
Sadly I don't think he "got it".

garydale
06-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Good luck, I hope you get a chance to see both sides of the business some day.

You are right about PPE and the law etc.

Some day you may be on the management side a see the whole picture.
Having a payroll to meet, production goals, personnel problems, weather, irate customers, cash flow and upper management on your mind 24/7 makes employers what you they are.

upidstay
06-05-2007, 09:30 AM
I have seen both sides of the equation, and there is no substitute for safety and following the law. I've worked for idiots who demand ridiculous production goals. You either cut major corners or lose your job. But I have also seen th milking that goes on. When it takes somebody 3 hours to treat a lawn that I personally have done in 1, we have a problem.

Ric
06-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Yo

Here in Florida most big companies pay a base hourly plus a production commission. I have never believed in paying a production commission because it leads to Sloppy work and Pencil treatment. I did however pay a sales commission on new accounts and a bonus for customer retention and production based on company profit for the quarter. The Idea is to train the employee that Quality work is the best advertisement and job Security. As their route increased so did their income.

There are Advantages and Disadvantages to hiring experienced help. The same learning curve sometimes is harder to unlearn bad habits. I once had a guy who I was growing unhappier with by the Day, refuse to spray a Herbicide cocktail I gave him. He claimed he had burn lawns with it in the past. I assured him I had used it many times with great success But he elected the Hwy instead of My Way.

naughty62

Sorry to hear about your job, But they say all things happen for the Best. Those who try and do things right always seem to come up on the short end of the stick. They say the Meek shall inherit the Earth but it is the Bold and Brasin that seem to get the Money.

americanlawn
06-05-2007, 10:20 PM
naughty - I suggest you start your own lawn care company if your health allows for it. LESCO is a very good starting point. They offer the best products. I can help you regarding what equipment you need as I am also in your home state. Let me know via PM if you are serious. God bless.

naughty62
06-06-2007, 06:38 AM
I am not the one with the health problems.Some oldtimers who thought swimming in 2-4d was the norm are now paying the toll. I suppose if you have hired 5 dollar an hr. trained monkeys for many years a guy could get burned out just walking em around and holding their hands.Things can get crazy because inclimate weather,tight cash flow, competition ,but this is not the case.a series of poor planning ,no planning,and the inability make a correct decisions .I am grateful for opportunity to see what can happen when cogs start slipping .I would solo it ,but secondary containment ,storage,and initial cash flow are not in place .

americanlawn
06-06-2007, 07:44 PM
naughty62 - I'm in Des Moines, so if you're close, I can help. (I've helped others get started in their own business). If not, I can suggest local suppliers. Paying the bills is the bottom line. 200 customers is plenty if you're doing most of it yourself. (A part-time fireman or cop worked for me in my early days). Less if you offer mowing & snow removal. LESCO & UAP are the 2 best here. Best wishes.