PDA

View Full Version : Dodge RAM transmissions

tacoma200
06-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Well the 15 year old GMC is in the shop so I bought my first Dodge truck. It was a salvage vehicle with a 6 month warranty. Looks new but I only gave $8,700 for it. Seems like a great truck and the Hemi has tremendous power. I bought it because it was priced right, only had 40 k miles, and had the warranty, plus the dealer I've known for years sold it to me at just a little over what he had in it.

Well since then I have heard horror story's about the Doge transmissions not being all that great. Remember I don't know much about Dodge. It has the tow package/selector, cooler, etc. Does any one have any input on the Dodge as a work truck? I'm guessing the transmission is a 545 or something close to that # since it has the Hemi and tow package. Any info about this truck would be appreciated. 04 1500 Dodge ram with Hemi, tow package, etc.

IA_James
06-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Hate to break this to you, but if it's a salvage title that warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. All bets are off from the manufacturer if it's been wrecked.

GravelyGuy
06-04-2007, 07:03 PM
It seems like the newer Dodge truck (yours included) have decent trannies in them. My parents purchased a brand new Dodge 1500 in 1998 and we sold it in 2001 with a blown tranny at 38,000 miles:hammerhead: It never towed a thing.

With that being said, if it's in good shape now it sounds like you got a deal.

tacoma200
06-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Hate to break this to you, but if it's a salvage title that warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. All bets are off from the manufacturer if it's been wrecked.

This is a dealer warranty (bumper to bumper). The man has been in business here fixing salvage vehicles for over 30 years and he always honors his warranty. I'm 44 and he's been doing it since I was a kid and has a good name when it comes to taking care of his customers. He's a good man, I understand you must have thought I meant dealer warranty. He sells every salvage vehicle almost as soon as it's finished.

General Landscaping
06-04-2007, 08:17 PM
545RFE = Good

tacoma200
06-04-2007, 08:18 PM
It seems like the newer Dodge truck (yours included) have decent trannies in them. My parents purchased a brand new Dodge 1500 in 1998 and we sold it in 2001 with a blown tranny at 38,000 miles:hammerhead: It never towed a thing.

With that being said, if it's in good shape now it sounds like you got a deal.

I hope your right. I got it at a good price so I have some room to play with if something goes wrong after the warranty.

tacoma200
06-04-2007, 08:27 PM
545RFE = Good

I like that response.