PDA

View Full Version : ZTR gets hung up on ramp

GravelyGuy
06-04-2007, 05:32 PM
I just got this trailer and I am having trouble with my 60" Z getting hung up on the gate. The trailer is pretty close to sitting level. I tried putting a 2x6 under the gate and it helped, but the scalp wheels still get stuck everytime. Any good solutions?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
06-04-2007, 05:36 PM
You might try to bolt 2x10 the to ramp.

FearThisDeere
06-04-2007, 05:39 PM
I agree. Your angle is too steep. you could also try jacking up the trailer everytime, but that gets to be a real PITA quick.

cebe800
06-04-2007, 05:45 PM
I had the same problem. Now I carry 2 6" wood blocks and a 2' x 8' piece of plywood with me now. I put half of the block under the gate and the ply wood sits on the other half. I just extended the gate so the angle wouldn't be so steep. Not the best fix but it works.

Runner
06-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Read my remedy on this thread. Simple, but VERY effective.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=187545&highlight=2x4

GravelyGuy
06-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.

Runner, I back my mower up the ramp every time. Would your method still work?

gavin478
06-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Buy a new hitch for your truck, that raises the trailer tongue a few inches, lowering your ramp a few inches.

FiveOJoe
06-04-2007, 06:21 PM
I nailed a 2 X 10 across the floor of the trailer so the wheels ride up over them at the crucial point (idea from the thread mentioned above-thankyou) and it works fine!:) It also acts as a resting point for the rear wheels in transit.

ed2hess
06-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Or you can carry a small hunk of wood 4x8 and put it under the jack when you stop and jack up the trailer a little. If you forget to take it out you will feel the trailer pulling off of it when you start to drive away and you can stop and pick it up. Usually the 2x8 piece of wood 4" wide under the gate is sufficient as others have pointed out.

mike33087
06-05-2007, 10:52 PM
my unlce has the same problem with getting his walker up the ramp, and the easiest thing i found to get it on and off is to go up the ramp backwards at an angle and the same thing going off. I can get it off the trailer if i grab the handle on the deck while rolling foward and lift up like 1/2 an inch.

hope this helps

New Heights
06-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Why dont you raise the deck when you load and unload the mower?

snowjeep
06-06-2007, 10:52 PM
I had the same problem and when I called the dealer I bought it from they just ordered me a 1 foot longer ramp at no charge. Its worth a try. Mine came with a 4 foot and now have a 5 foot.

DaveVB
06-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Trade for a trailer with a beaver tail ramp on it. This is a sloped area of the deck that decreases the angle of approach without adding weight to the tailgate.

rfed32
06-07-2007, 04:30 PM
i would just go at it full speed and jump that ramp....

id go with a 2x8 or 2x10 bolted on the end paint it black make it look good and that should do the trick....i like that trailer by the way

Tadams
06-07-2007, 06:53 PM
I would take it to a welder (or do it yourself if you know how to weld) and have them extend the ramp at least a foot- maybe 2 feet. This will give you the clearance you need to get your mower on and off without having to carry a lumber yard with you.

KTO Enterprises
06-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Pop a wheelie as you get to the top of the ramp. Its pretty fun. lol

GravelyGuy
06-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks for all of the help. I'll figure something out.

02DURAMAX
06-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Pop a wheelie as you get to the top of the ramp. Its pretty fun. lol

that would work ....but he likes to back-up his mower onto the trailer...:rolleyes:

robbo521
06-10-2007, 01:00 AM
new hitch and its fixed.

tomo
06-10-2007, 07:24 AM
hello, measure floor of trailer to ground .
15 inches , [a low trailer ] minimum ramp length 4 1/2 feet
20 inches [typical trailer ] minimum ramp lenght 5 1/2 ft
Have used a walker and a full size toro over these measurements works ok .

The idea is to have a low trailer which there fore keeps your ramp smaller and lighter in weight and slightly less wind resistance .

tomo :waving:

shade
06-11-2007, 11:31 PM
This is out there a ways, but will work. You could take it to a metal fabrication shop and remove the tailgate and have them run it through a machine that will give it an arch. Probably won't take a lot, just a slight arch, like a rainbow. Yeah the rampgate will look like it's bent, but adding length to the gate makes it heavier to lift and catches more wind. If I was to lengthen it, I would look into making it fold in half. Just a couple of ideas!

Good luck!

jeremyt1998
06-11-2007, 11:48 PM
*trucewhiteflag* Well this is pretty easy. Go down to the Auto parts store and buy a 2" or 4" drop reciever. Put your ball on upside down and now instead of a drop it raises the front of the trailer which lowers the back and your mower will come right off with no problems. Or take the hitch you have now and turn it over. Takes maybe 5 mins to try it out. NO Welding, bending, carrying xtra wood or anything else. IT WORKS

stuffdeer
06-13-2007, 11:08 PM
And Unlevels his trailer, causing uneven tire wear, which could lead to hundreds down the road...

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Tandem axle trailers will not load one tire anymore than another regardless of pitch, As long as an axle does not bottom out against the frame. Now a torsion axle trailer needs to sit level.

BTW I have never seen a multiple axle trailer, regardless of torsion or tandem, wear tires evenly. On a dual axle trailer its the rear one, and a tri axle trailer its the front and rear ones.

Do your self a favor, next tire change get rid of the trailer tires and put an automotive tire with the same load rating in place of the trailer tire. Trailer tires are made cheaply because they are not as strictly controlled by the government. I have 1 car tire on my trailer. I put it there to replace a blow out. It was a used tire with 1/2 life left. It is still not even close to worn out
and the other 3 trailer tires are time to be replaced.

ke5hbd
06-14-2007, 01:02 AM
You might try and add an extension to the ramp. Another foot would help.

I am looking at a trailer like yours and the side and rear gates are extended about a foot above the top of the trailer.

A couple 4x4's might get you by and I understand the issues of hanging up.

I see alot of people with drop tail trailers and everyone of the drag the ground going into dips or low areas.