PDA

View Full Version : Idea's for raised patio

Mike33
06-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Okey everyone, here are 2 pics of my new house under construction. I hate decks, and never done a raised patio. Would it be practicle for one here? From where the backfill line will be to bottom of plate is 5' 4". I know i will bury 2 courses of block any way since grade will be at bottom of brick line. Then i figure 2 steps coming out of door where the timber strand is. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Mike

DVS Hardscaper
06-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Anything is possible, but I would do a deck.

If you have a nice setting, or view - a deck will still have good purpose.

I have a nice view out the back of my home - I build patios, but for me a patio would not be a practical expense.

McKeeLand
06-04-2007, 08:45 PM
I agree, that is a big drop and you have your basement window right there next to the door under the bay-window bump out. what if you did a nice deck in front of the door and have it lead down to a nice patio on grade. you could have just one level and a nice set of stairs or a couple of levels on the deck leading to the patio. kinda hard to envision from your pic.

Nice house by the way.

forestfireguy
06-04-2007, 08:46 PM
I think DVS raises a good point, I hate to say it, and I've said to a few customers. Sometimes hardscaping isn't the way to go......OUCH THAT HURT.....Besides you'd need an engineer, at a dollar PSFF it would add up fast, and thats before you put a shovelin the ground or order your block. I could see a small deck and a large patio, if it's more your speed, but think about how nice it'd be to take 3 steps out your back door and not have to worry about stairs to hit your grill in the middle of the winter, to throw on that steak.

mrusk
06-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Do like a 400 sq deck down to a small patio.

I always try to create as many different areas as possible.

DVS Hardscaper
06-04-2007, 10:02 PM
For my house I plan to do a deck across the length of the back of the house, but it will only be 8 or 9 feet wide. See, I want to build a deck just big enough to sit on and watch the deer and wildlife. Most beach front properties have narrow decks, this is where I got the idea.

My property slopes downwards towards the back, and over the years I have imported hundreds of yards of fill soil. I have created an area for a decent size patio, where the patio will resemble a scenic overlook.

Below is a job we did about 4 years ago, where the people used a narrow deck to transition down to a lovely patio:

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/Woke%20Up%20Late/Patio-Frederick-lg2.jpg

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/Woke%20Up%20Late/Terraced-Brick-Patio-lg2.jpg

Mike33
06-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks everyone i new i would get some good input. I will go deck route but def. trex and vinyl railing. I just hate to see that treated lumber in a few years go to **** splintering and pickets bowing. I only thought of the hardscaping deal due to material and my own labor i could come in price well comparing to paying some one to build the deck. I have an excellant cont. doing turn key operation but deck wasent part of deal due to i raised front of home for drainage reason leaving back side close to a walk out. Thanks again everyone.
Mike

pls8xx
06-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Would it be practicle ,,, (patio)

No, probably not. The above suggestions were good ones.

On the other hand, if I could afford a house like you're building and wanted a patio at house level, that's what I would build.

Off the top of my head I think I would start with a level 10ft catwalk out of the shown door to reach the patio. The patio would have 8" x 2' concrete columns around the perimeter spaced 4 ft apart, and a couple of cross beams to support the elevated concrete patio slab. The rebar in the columns would extend through the slab and up into the patio court yard wall.

Since the slope is downward from the house, by the time you get out the 10 ft of the catwalk, it makes sense to do a little excavation under the patio for another area. A x*sec of the concrete might look loke this ...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/pls8xx/elevpatio.jpg

Apply a veneer to the vertical concrete (stone, cultured stone,thin brick) and do the patio with acid stain, tile, or thin stone. Maybe put lattice between the columns recessed, with an evergreen in front.

The lower level could be an out door kitchen, or install a water feature as a grotto, or just a storage area.

D Felix
06-05-2007, 12:07 AM
I realize you've decided on a deck, but one other issue that no one brought up (if I understand what you were wanting to do...) is that if you built up to the door, you'd be covering weep holes on your brick. Which is a *huge* no-no... If that's not what you were wanting to do, sorry. :)

For me, I absolutely hate the d*mn Trex/Correctdeck crap. The decking is OK, but the railing system (IMHO) looks cheap and doesn't leave you any options for varied installation. If it were me, I'd go with treated 100%, put in a nice railing/spindle system and keep it treated/stained. But that's just me... :)

Mike33
06-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Would it be practicle ,,, (patio)

No, probably not. The above suggestions were good ones.

On the other hand, if I could afford a house like you're building and wanted a patio at house level, that's what I would build.

Off the top of my head I think I would start with a level 10ft catwalk out of the shown door to reach the patio. The patio would have 8" x 2' concrete columns around the perimeter spaced 4 ft apart, and a couple of cross beams to support the elevated concrete patio slab. The rebar in the columns would extend through the slab and up into the patio court yard wall.

Since the slope is downward from the house, by the time you get out the 10 ft of the catwalk, it makes sense to do a little excavation under the patio for another area. A x*sec of the concrete might look loke this ...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/pls8xx/elevpatio.jpg

Apply a veneer to the vertical concrete (stone, cultured stone,thin brick) and do the patio with acid stain, tile, or thin stone. Maybe put lattice between the columns recessed, with an evergreen in front.

The lower level could be an out door kitchen, or install a water feature as a grotto, or just a storage area.

Hell, you only seen a little of back side of house its not that great but thanks any way. Still not sure have another 2 months or so before completion ill kick some ideas. Thanks for your help.
Mike

Mike33
06-05-2007, 11:26 PM
I realize you've decided on a deck, but one other issue that no one brought up (if I understand what you were wanting to do...) is that if you built up to the door, you'd be covering weep holes on your brick. Which is a *huge* no-no... If that's not what you were wanting to do, sorry. :)

For me, I absolutely hate the d*mn Trex/Correctdeck crap. The decking is OK, but the railing system (IMHO) looks cheap and doesn't leave you any options for varied installation. If it were me, I'd go with treated 100%, put in a nice railing/spindle system and keep it treated/stained. But that's just me... :)
yes the water seal does a great job its just the idea of doing so. Its just back when say the 80's when the deck band wagon rolled out everyone thought okey 30 year warranty no maintance 3 years later looked like ****. The railing needs special attention especially those damn pickets here the sun will bow them with in a year.
Mike