PDA

View Full Version : Want to spray strawberry patch and kill crabgrass

walker-talker
06-04-2007, 07:09 PM
This is the first year I put out a strawberry patch (for the wife) and crabgrass has taken over. Is there anything I can spray on it that will kill the crabgrass and NOT the strawberry plants? I am not worried about contaminating the berries...there are none. We picked all the flower off this first season.

I have some Drive 75. I know it's labeled for crabgrass, but unsure what it will do to the strawberry plants. I might try a little area for testing, if there are not any better advice. It took me about 30 minutes to pull weeds around 5 plants. With 75 plants it could take some serious time.

Anyone?
Matt

Runner
06-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Can't you just use a hula-hoe or something? I don't think the drive would be a good idea. I don't believe it is labeled for food crops.

walker-talker
06-04-2007, 08:15 PM
I have a couple 3 and 4 pronged type claws, but they are no good because the mother plants have put off very many daughter plants/runners. I found a product called Poast Plus that is labeled for killing of crabgrass in strawberry patches, but at $130 for a 2.5 gallon jug.....the wife can pull them. I told her a dozen times BEFORE I built the bed for her that it will ultimitely be her job to weed it.

DiyDave
06-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Let the crabgrass get long, and go at it with roundup in a wick wiper. A wick wiper is a herbicide applicator made out of a piece of pipe that is the handle/reservoir and a tee or l fitting at the bottom, attached to a cotton rope or sponge. The idea is to get the roundup on the weed, not on the berry leaves. If you are looking for one, try Gemplers or A.M. Leonard.:waving: :waving:

ampeg76
06-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Let the crabgrass get long, and go at it with roundup in a wick wiper. A wick wiper is a herbicide applicator made out of a piece of pipe that is the handle/reservoir and a tee or l fitting at the bottom, attached to a cotton rope or sponge. The idea is to get the roundup on the weed, not on the berry leaves. If you are looking for one, try Gemplers or A.M. Leonard.:waving: :waving:

i've done similar when using glyphosate to kill dallis grass in st. augustine lawns! works nicely

RigglePLC
06-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Walker,
Acclaim can be used to control crabgrass on a wide variety of ornamentals and plants grown in the nursery. Lesco has it. Smallest container is about 75 to a hundred dollars.

If you think your plants are ornamental...

Visit the Lesco website for a label.
Riggle

bug-guy
06-05-2007, 03:33 AM
there are several over the top grassy weed killers lesco has several...
sethoxydim,gallery and others some do grassy weeds some do braodleaf over the top sprays check labels (go online) becarefull with edible products.

Smallaxe
06-05-2007, 08:47 AM
I covered one bed of strawberries last fall with at least 2" of pine needles and never uncovered them this spring. It is a solid mass of strawberries and I think 2 blades of quack and one dandelion.
Crabgrass is an annual that has no chance under mulch. Don't sweat it this year, plan for next.
BTW, never bother pulling flowers off of strawberrries. All they need to do is produce runners for next years crop. Individual strawberry plants decline quite quickly.
.rick.

Let-it-mow!
06-05-2007, 09:47 AM
BTW, never bother pulling flowers off of strawberrries. All they need to do is produce runners for next years crop.
.rick.

I think that's what he's trying to do, get tehm to produce runners instead of fruit the first year to get them to fill out the row.

I use Surfaln early spring over strawberries as a preemergent. I've had good luch with it. Once the berries do form a solid mat, weeds won't be a real problem. I use a paint roller on a pole saturated with roundup about twice a year to touch any tall weeds that poke through.

But that doesn't really help you if you've got small young plants that haven't filled in yet.