PDA

View Full Version : What could cause streaks in lawns

GreenHor7
06-04-2007, 07:25 PM
I am new to the business and i was wondering why about three of my lawns have streaks in them. They are browned out streaks. I applied dimension correctly based on the label and lesco. It has been very dry though. I am looking for some help.

mkroher
06-04-2007, 07:55 PM
brown patch spread from mower tires? How about some pics?

indyturf
06-04-2007, 07:56 PM
hard to tell without pictures, was it liquid or granular? I wouldn't think dimension would cause brown streaks. were you applying fert too? how much N?

topsites
06-04-2007, 08:00 PM
It could be any number of reasons, thou the cut and the landscape are the first things that come to mind, the irrigation system as well, could be the chem app, you have to look into it to figure it out...

Keep in mind, you have two types of stress results: Systematic, and what I call natural.
I'm not sure if those are the correct terms, but a systematic stress area is usually created by a machine or a system, whereas a natural stress area is more likely due to circumstances more or less beyond our control.

If it's the cut, it's likely to do with perhaps uneven landscaping resulting in the machine cutting too close over certain sections... Machine cutting does create systematic stress, it could also be the pattern itself, usually raising the blades 1/4" can help in this case, it is also that time of the year where I have already delayed, and am further delaying my cuts, we're going to 2 week intervals, and soon 2-3...

It can also be a slanted area that when exposed to the sun gets parched, and when it rains it runs off... Doesn't even have to be slanted, if it's a full sun area, it can get hit like that, thou usually this is patchy rather than streaky, if it's landscaping then it's usually a more natural looking stressed area... Combine the natural stress of landscaping with the systematic stress of a machine cut, not sure what you'd get but it would not be unusual to see streaks OR patches.

Last but not least, how the sprinklers are set up, on an irrigation system, most systems create some unevenness, it is normal but has to be worked with. This can create a more systematic looking stress area, versus patchy.

Other than that, if it's purely to do with the application, perhaps the machine is spraying unevenly, or a slight breeze caused chem drift as it was being sprayed? This would also cause a systematic stress area, one thing I learned from the git go is even on the calmest days there is always the drift... Best I can tell you is work with the drift, and this takes a bit of watching and doing, but it pays off to watch the drift and work with it, rather than assuming it will be ok. Of course, never spray on windy or even breezy days, I much prefer calm and always watch the drift.

Hope that helps

mkroher
06-04-2007, 08:03 PM
topsites....you never had a problem writing a 20 page paper in school...did you..

:p

RigglePLC
06-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Greenhornet,
Did you get brown tire tracks? No tracks in the shade? No problem on irrigated lawns? Lawns the were beginning to go dormant? It could be "heat tracks". Take a look at the discussion from last week. Purdue has some good pictures. Some were linked about 3 weeks ago.

mrkosar
06-04-2007, 11:01 PM
if it has been dry it could be the have septic tank that is causing it.

GreenHor7
06-05-2007, 07:02 PM
First of all i was using momentum. I do not know why i said dimension. That was my fault. The streaks happened on sunny, unirrigated lawns. It is not real bad or noticeable, but if you look for it you can definetely notice it.

ATVracer
06-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Mower wheel tracks if the grass was hot and dry.

americanlawn
06-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Too many possibilities without pics. I'm sure it's an easy fix. Need pics so members can help you. Especially if your'e talkin' dry or liquid.

lawnservice
06-06-2007, 07:44 AM
applicator error

CuttingEdge,LLC
06-06-2007, 03:44 PM
I am going to say that the lawn was too dry but wasn't showing yet, and mowing it under these conditions will show streaks....