PDA

View Full Version : Help with a possiable ZTR purchase

dschlosser15
06-04-2007, 09:24 PM
I have about .5 acres with some small slopes and trees and would prefer a ZTR mower. I was looking to keep it as close to $3,000 for the mower + bagger. I have narrowed what seems like an exhausting search down to the following 3 ZTRs;

1) New Simplicity Axion 20/42 for $2,699 + bagger
2) New Cub Cadet RTZ42 for $2,599 + bagger
3) Used Gravely Model 915042 for $1,800 (owner says it was only used for 2 seasons and maintained well)

I have three basic questions 1) Of the three listed above, which mower would the experts on this site recommend? 2) If it were one of the new ones how much of a discount should I reasonably expect to get from the dealer. Right now they are only quoting me the MSRP. 3) Is there something else I should be looking at in this price range?

My major requirements are a machine that cuts very nice and is very reliable.

Thanks in Advance for your input…Doug

JTF40
06-05-2007, 10:21 AM
For $3,000.00 and .5 acre, I would go a walk-behind (Quick 44 Samauri @ betteroutdoorproducts.com). The RESIDENTIAL mowers you listed are just that - residential built mowers. The Quick 44 is a very well built commercial machine with a large customer base from this websight. Of course, just my opinion. :usflag:

steve45
06-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Most of the folks here will tell you to buy a commercial mower. They are expensive. I'd suggest doing what I did, I bought a used commercial mower (Scag). I'm very happy.

SOMM
06-05-2007, 10:24 PM
What the hail is wrong with you?

Half-acres or less need to be done with push, propelled, or riding mowers.

Z's and their attendant costs are strictly for the Pro-Lawn industry.

Unless you have 10+ acres, Z's aren't worth the cost.

wolfsburg57
06-06-2007, 08:37 AM
I just started using a quick 36 on my property - a little over 1 acre with plenty of obstacles - and it gets the job done really well and plenty fast. I'm not sure I would bother with it on a property the size of yours, but you could easily have one plus an accelerator grass catcher at your price point. If I wanted to spend money on tools to work that lot I would probably buy a top of the line toro commercial 21" walkbehind and some real nice stihl/shindaiwa/redmax/echo whatever... products (trimmer, edger, blower, etc..) to go with it.

Of the three mowers you listed, I would give the gravely the closest look. But that also depends on what you have for local dealer support. I would not vote for the axion (I tested out the snapper version before getting my quick), and I have no info about the cub.

TAZ
06-06-2007, 09:29 AM
I would pick the gravely out of those 3 choices. I agree with what the others stated about the walk-behinds being better choices but I understand that some would rather ride than walk. I have a Q36 and for what it cost and the quality of cut it lays down it's tough to beat.

-TAZ

ATVracer
06-06-2007, 09:53 AM

You must be insane or ignorant. One or the other.

To the original poster, I have a 50" Cub Cadet and it cuts like a champ and have never had problems with it. For the amount of yard you have it will last a very long time if maintained.

LarryF
06-06-2007, 09:57 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with dschlosser15 wanting to get a ZTR just because he doesn't have 10 acres. Many homeowers with only 1/2 acre have a ZTR, and some own commercial versions at that. My lot is a bit over an acre, and I have both an Exmark Lazer Z-HP for the relatively flat areas and a BOP Quick 36 which I use for my hills. Is that investment worth it, you ask? I sure believe so. An argument I can use is that my neighbor's LCO charges him at least 4 grand and possibly as much a 6 a year to mow his grass and clean up his leaves for a lot equal in size to mine. I'm into my 6th year with the Exmark, so I feel the money I've saved (24-to-36 thousand) by not having an LCO has paid a few times over for what some might consider my extravagent machinery. But on the other hand, I also think that dschlosser15 would do well to follow jtf40's suggestion about the Quick 44, or even the Quick 36. Either would fit his budget and easily do his lawn, and in my opinion they are much better choices than any $3000 Home Depot or Lowes rider or ZTR.

jkingrph
06-06-2007, 10:10 AM

Nothing is wrong with him. He wants a "Z" I use one, for a little over an acre and a half, and believe me as a homeowner with an inside job, when you go to mowing in some of the summer heat and humidity here, you need all the help you can get. Also the gentlemans age and other physical conditon might preclude his walking.

Personally I use a 52" Scag Wildcat to mow my property with a lot of obstacles and found it saves me about 1 1/2 hours which I can use to enjoy other things.

Ray Zorback
06-06-2007, 11:00 AM

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Capemay Eagle
06-06-2007, 11:14 AM
I would pick the gravely out of those 3 choices. I agree with what the others stated about the walk-behinds being better choices but I understand that some would rather ride than walk. I have a Q36 and for what it cost and the quality of cut it lays down it's tough to beat.

-TAZ

I agree with Taz the Gravely is probalbly the best choice. The other two models are very cheaply made. I looked at both models when I was shopping for a ztr. I ended up with the mini fastrack 42". It is not the best, but it seems to be very well made..

cranesrule
06-06-2007, 03:01 PM
I have 3 acres and use a Z. I save almost two hours of mowing time and have a much more reliable machine than a standard rider. And you say it's not worth it? What planet are you from?

flathead
06-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Having used the quick 36 quite a few times (I borrowed one from another lco on and off for a few weeks when my TTHP was down), I would have to say that it would fit your needs nicely.

Mic_bug
06-06-2007, 08:24 PM
id look at a new cub cadet or a used small commercial....