PDA

View Full Version : Gummed up spreader....

TLS
06-05-2007, 10:31 AM
It's happened to me before, but today it stopped me early.

Spreader gummed up pretty bad with weed/feed residue.

Question to all of you.... What do you do in this situation?

Does it affect calibration?

Spinner plate became so heavy, that my gears were stripping when I pushed it hard/quick.

The spreader was clean this morning. I started at 6am and was finished by 8:30am (it was starting to dry up) got 250K down. But what do you guys do when you must go the whole day?

Product was Lebanon 19-0-6 Confront-3 with Dimension. Though in the past I've had similar results with various other products.

TLS
06-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Here is another....

TLS
06-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Cleans up real nice with just a hose, but I don't think using a customers hose is something anyone wants to do.

There was a pretty heavy dew this morning (Ideal conditions for weed/feed).

EcoLawn, Inc.
06-05-2007, 10:46 AM
I know this problem very well. I lived through it for about 10 years. Just about any granular fertilizer that has dust will create this problem. We always carried a small puddy knife in our trucks to clean off the impeller. Sometimes it needs done after each lawn or after every couple, depending on how big the lawn is. Just make sure it isn't too wide of a knife that itf can't fit between the impeller and the fertilizer bucket.

Dano50
06-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Try using Fluid Film (http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com) to keep your spreader from gumming up.

DUSTYCEDAR
06-05-2007, 11:43 AM
i use it and it works Fluid Film
u sure do have a mess with all of that i would have been scraping the spreader after each lawn

upidstay
06-05-2007, 02:20 PM
That is why I don't use Lebanon products.

upidstay
06-05-2007, 02:21 PM
And to answer the original question, yes that will definitely affect calibration. Always keep a small putty knife handy.

ampeg76
06-05-2007, 02:56 PM
wow, i have never seen so much gunk build up from a fertilizer!

i've heard great things about lebanon's MESA, makes me have second thoughts about their products, i here most of their blends are pretty dusty!

heavy dew in the morning certainly does not help the situation

i would look into purchasing a closed gear box to avoid premature wear and tear

TLS
06-05-2007, 08:47 PM
i use it and it works Fluid Film
u sure do have a mess with all of that i would have been scraping the spreader after each lawn
Wouldn't that cause it to stick MORE? Something dry always sticks to something wet.

TLS
06-05-2007, 08:49 PM
That is why I don't use Lebanon products.

I've had it do the same thing with Lesco Weed/Feed in the past.

TLS
06-05-2007, 08:49 PM
And to answer the original question, yes that will definitely affect calibration. Always keep a small putty knife handy.

Thanks, will do that tomorrow morning. Just wondering what you guys do with this situation.

DUSTYCEDAR
06-05-2007, 08:53 PM
u have to keep the spinner clean or your pattern will be affected

RigglePLC
06-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Ewwww! icky poo!

Maybe the weed and feed has a corn cob carrier.

TLS
06-05-2007, 08:56 PM
wow, i have never seen so much gunk build up from a fertilizer!

i've heard great things about lebanon's MESA, makes me have second thoughts about their products, i here most of their blends are pretty dusty!

heavy dew in the morning certainly does not help the situation

i would look into purchasing a closed gear box to avoid premature wear and tear

The MESA part wasn't the problem, it's huge and blue it's the small prill Confront-3 part that was caking.

Yes it was real wet.

This is the second gearbox for this spreader. Are the new enclosed retrofittable to this older spreader?

indyturf
06-05-2007, 09:01 PM
I would go back in a few days and check for stripping, that much build up can really effect your spread pattern.

DUSTYCEDAR
06-05-2007, 09:04 PM
This is the second gearbox for this spreader. Are the new enclosed retrofittable to this older spreader?
i dont think so the hoppers were changed

TLS
06-05-2007, 09:06 PM
I would go back in a few days and check for stripping, that much build up can really effect your spread pattern.

I noticed the pattern shrinking a bit, so I adjusted a bit tighter. I'm on all my lawns weekly as I also mow.

Do they have Teflon coated spinner plates? :rolleyes:

TLS
06-05-2007, 09:07 PM
i dont think so the hoppers were changed

Thats what I thought.

Think it'll be dewey/wet tomorrow morn Dusty?

Dano50
06-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Wouldn't that cause it to stick MORE? Something dry always sticks to something wet.

No, it will actually help. Fluid Film remains super slick, so while you may get an initial dusting, you won't get a build up of material. Fluid Film works very well for combine chains, motorcycle and atv chains for that same reason.

TLS
06-05-2007, 09:13 PM
No, it will actually help. Fluid Film remains super slick, so while you may get an initial dusting, you won't get a build up of material. Fluid Film works very well for combine chains, motorcycle and atv chains for that same reason.

Just spray it on heavy, or light, or wipe after you spray?

DUSTYCEDAR
06-05-2007, 09:14 PM
the news said the dew point will be less the next 2 days but i still think it will be wet
i spray so it just means ill have wetter feet :)

Dano50
06-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Just spray it on heavy, or light, or wipe after you spray?

No need to wipe after you spray. Just put a good coat on and you're good to go.

DUSTYCEDAR
06-05-2007, 09:16 PM
No need to wipe after you spray. Just put a good coat on and you're good to go.

sounds like u ate at toco helll lol

Dano50
06-05-2007, 09:19 PM
sounds like u ate at toco helll lol

I think I just changed my diet. :laugh:

DUSTYCEDAR
06-05-2007, 09:24 PM
open mouth insert new saying

TLS
06-05-2007, 09:29 PM
The product I'm spreading is a VERY fine granule. Compare it to common table salt....maybe a touch larger, but not much. I could see Fluid film working with larger granule products, but I don't know about this stuff.

americanlawn
06-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Holy smoke! That's enough buildup to cause streaking on lawns. On humid days, we often clean our impellers every 3 lawns or so. We merely use our plastic flag sticks for scraping cuz metal products can permanently damage the plastic inpeller.

TLS
06-05-2007, 10:33 PM
This was after only 3 lawns!

ampeg76
06-05-2007, 11:35 PM
I've had it do the same thing with Lesco Weed/Feed in the past.

i've used the lesco with atrazine, both standard and elite prilled, some build up, not that bad though! maybe every 30,000 square foot i had to clean the impellor abit, nothing more!

i still can't get over it lol!

about the gearbox, no clue, i use the newer high wheel version

TLS
06-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Putty knife worked just fine.

Results of application are "so far...so good".

Will update next week.