PDA

View Full Version : How do you control Wild Bamboo???

Plant Buyer 83
06-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Anyone know any good products for controlling wild bamboo that grows anywhere and everywhere?????

Matt

MarcSmith
06-05-2007, 03:10 PM
john deere sells a product that can do the job...

Ric
06-05-2007, 03:49 PM
john deere sells a product that can do the job...

Marc

Excellent Choice of Equipment, However a Root Rake Grapple may be a better choice of Attachment. I actually have a chemical answer, However I am not sure plant buyer will like my answer. I will therefore keep that answer for now and see if someone can come with a better answer or the same one.

Harley-D
06-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Sure, i'll try. I'ld guess imazapyr with diuron.

Close? Maybe mix in a little glyphosate with diquat and a little sticker just to be sure.

DUSTYCEDAR
06-05-2007, 07:14 PM
cement it ........................

Ric
06-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Sure, i'll try. I'ld guess imazapyr with diuron.

Close? Maybe mix in a little glyphosate with diquat and a little sticker just to be sure.

Honda Guy

Yep that was about what I was thinking. However you really took it one step further. Imazapyr is not so bad as a skin contact or even swallowed, but Breathing it's vapor is a totally different story. The LC 50 is 100mg/Kg Hitler would have loved it. The half life can be as long as a year and half and the Ground water is very likely to be contaminated.

SOMM
06-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Marc-
where the hail is your backhoe?
It sends out to 14 feet average depth of a 5-6 year established stand, and can travel under cemented structures.

Ric-
It can survive Red Fire Ants.

You don't control it, all, you maintain it - unless you are allowed to do controlled burns in your area.
(Agent-Orange Gly and Napalm are way illegal.)

Ric
06-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Marc-
where the hail is your backhoe?
It sends out to 14 feet average depth of a 5-6 year established stand, and can travel under cemented structures.

Ric-
It can survive Red Fire Ants.

You don't control it, all, you maintain it - unless you are allowed to do controlled burns in your area.
(Agent-Orange Gly and Napalm are way illegal.)

SOMM

Something tells me you are way too young to have been in the Nam. But from Personal experience I can tell you Not even Super Agent Orange or Napalm can control Bamboo. Suppress maybe, Control no way.

Cohocarl
06-06-2007, 07:15 AM
I had some wild bamboo at my old house that I had tried to kill or at least slow down it's spreading, and I tried almost everything known to mankind, but the bamboo kept on thriving. One day I was into a grain elevator/farm supply shop near by and a salesman suggested I get some Tordon, cut down as much of the bamboo as I could, and spray some Tordon on the exposed cuts. It it worked wonders! The bamboo spreads through it's root system, so with the Tordon getting into it's "veins", it did a very good job at not only killing the current crop, but future ones also. I did have a few new sprouts of bamboo come up, but did the same thing by cutting them down, and putting a very little Tordon on the exposed cut.

This was about 10 years ago, so I don't even know if you can still purchase Tordon, but I would thoroughly recommend this stuff for killing bamboo, or anything else for that matter. It is very potent stuff. From what I understand, the railroad and power companies use(d) it to spray vegitation where they don't want it to re-grow for a long time.
Do not expect grass or anything else to grow for a long time in the area where the tordon is applied...........

RigglePLC
06-06-2007, 07:23 AM
Bamboo--cut it down and then start mowing the area. Short.

Plant Buyer 83
06-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the input guys and yes Marc that would be a great way to get ride of it, as well as cement over it. I talked to one of my old professors the other day he suggested.... Arsenal has anyone tried or heard anything about it working or not??

Ric
06-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Riggle

I believe you may have the best solution with cutting the area short, however I think a Chemical treatment first would help.

Cohocarl

Tordon is still legal in many states, but has been ban in many others now.

Plant Buyer 83
06-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Just did some research and imazapyr is Arsenal. So I gusee this may MIGHT and thats a big might work.

Ric
06-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Just did some research and imazapyr is Arsenal. So I gusee this may MIGHT and thats a big might work.

PlantBuyer

My point that you might not like my answer, was about the resisdual effect of any ground sterilizer. Don't plan on growing any thing on that ground for at least a year. Imazapyr has been known to last over a year on clay soils.

Ric
06-11-2007, 10:36 AM

Plant Buyer

I have been sitting on my original answer to see if a better answer Might come up. What MIGHT and that's a big might work is Sodium Chloride, Plain old rock salt is the cheapest form. It should sterilize the soil from any plant growth for a long time depending on the soil. Clay will take longer to leach it out. The Tree Huggers should love that answer because of less impact on the environment.

Sorry for not replying sooner, I forgot about this thread until today.

upidstay
06-11-2007, 12:25 PM
3oz round up plus 3oz three way and a little sticker. Spray it, a week later cut it down. Anything that pops up again, hit it with a little round up or 3 way at normal strength.

OR...

Figure out a way to make the stuff into a cash crop. You'll make a million the first month...