PDA

View Full Version : Travertine on Stoop

Humble Earth Mover
06-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Hello all. New to this site and think it's an absolute blessing!! Question for you guys. I'm doing a job where there is a pre-existing stoop, roughly 100 sf. I've sold the customer on the idea of capping the stoop with some leftover travertine material from a previous job to help her save on cost. I have approx. 120 sf of travertine in 6x9 recs. It's the Andes outdoor travertine, so it's around an inch and a half thick. My question is should I etch the concrete and use a thin set mortar to apply it, or treat it as a paver and use glue. I'll most likely do a running bond pattern because I'm limited to one size. Also, I was thinking of using the travertine as a veneer for the riser to the stoop since the house has no existing stonework. Would you think thin set for this as well? I'm hoping it doesn't look ******ed against the paver walk I'm putting in, but if I can make money on left over material and get it out of my shop, it's a win for me!

Thanks!

Attached is a pic of the stoop and a pic of the Travertine from the previous job (which happens to be right next door)

srl28
06-05-2007, 03:52 PM
I'd score it, I always have and feel that that gives a better bond.

etwman
06-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Well first off I'd work on your installations on a flat surface before attempting to veneer travertine. For what people pay for it that doesn't look like the best of installations.

We do about 2-3 big Andes jobs a year. We usually throw out what we don't use but we estimate carefully. You price the job to the next nearest crate and the customer pays for the leftovers. If you price it right you can afford to chuck the leftovers if the customer doesn't want them. I wouldn't mix concrete pavers with a travertine veneer, it just doesn't look right.

To answer your question. You can veneer with a paverbond. We've done it several times and it's fine.

Humble Earth Mover
06-05-2007, 10:56 PM
What's your critique of the flat work? It's going on two years and it's still as flat as the day it was laid. Looking back, I know there were a few pieces of veneer that jutted out and I cut the travertine around the veneer instead of using a thinner piece of veneer. If I had to do it over again I would've done that differently.

Humble Earth Mover
06-05-2007, 10:58 PM
....and I would've used gray polymeric sand instead of brown!

neversatisfiedj
06-06-2007, 07:27 AM
I love travertine .

Humble Earth Mover
07-26-2007, 10:24 AM
I've been meaning to post some follow up pics to this thread. As it turned out, the travertine ended up really giving a nice look to the stoop and it went well with the pavers. I used thin set mortar with no problems. I still need to seal the travertine which will turn it a tad bit more tan. Should look great.