PDA

View Full Version : Paver Construction Q.

Chris J
06-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Need some suggestions please. I've got a proposal to give for a back yard pool area surrounded by paver decking. I will be putting 7 recessed MR16 well lights into the pavers to light up columns along the back of the home. The entire pool area is still under construction, and I can't seem to figure out what would be the easiest way to conduit these fixture locations so that I can later come back in to install the fixtures after the pavers are in. Have any of you guys done this before? I've attached a drawing of the home, and the fixture locations are marked with an "X" in case this may help.
By the way, you will also notice the circles around the deck of the pool. These will be raised planter beds made of stacked stone, and we will have sconces mounted to them (somehow) to illuminate the steps and surrounding deck. Any ideas on how we can prepare for the wiring before the stones are put in place?

Thanks,

Lite4
06-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Chris, what I have done in the past is to run 3/4" or 1" conduit to the well light locations; being sure to use the 'sweep' 90s. Now measure the size 'outside diameter' or the width of the top of the well light you are going to use. find a piece of PVC pipe or equivelant about 6-7" long and wide enough inside that it will easily accomodate the body of the fixture but the top lip of the light will rest on the top of the pipe. You will need to bury this just below the finished paver grade and centered over the end of your conduit. This will allow the paving guys to cut the pavers around you pipe and then you can come in after, run your wire and drop the light right into the sleeve. You may need to get a dremel tool at this point to adjust the lip of the pipe for finished height so that the top of the light lays flush with the pavers. Sleeving your lights will allow them to be serviced quite easily or you can glue them in with some Gorilla glue. Here is a drawing, Hope it helps. It's in a PDF format.

Chris J
06-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Tim,
What about running the wire? I certainly can't/won't daisy chain 7 fixtures that are this far apart. I'm thinking that I could possibly bury a hub beforehand, and run the leads to the fixture locations with a stub-up sticking up that the paver guys will have to work around. My biggest worry is that the paver guys will move the stubs, cut em off, bury them or what ever. If they do something wrong, I'm 2screwed (hence the name). With jobs like this, I can't be there during every aspect of the construction so I probably won't get the opportunity to be there when they are laying the pavers. I always get stressed about this kind of job. Am I going to have to charge this customer a months salary so that I can baby sit his construction crew?
Thanks for the response, got any more? I was beginning to think that no one cared.

High Performance Lighting
06-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Tim,
What about running the wire? I certainly can't/won't daisy chain 7 fixtures that are this far apart. I'm thinking that I could possibly bury a hub beforehand, and run the leads to the fixture locations with a stub-up sticking up that the paver guys will have to work around. My biggest worry is that the paver guys will move the stubs, cut em off, bury them or what ever. If they do something wrong, I'm 2screwed (hence the name). With jobs like this, I can't be there during every aspect of the construction so I probably won't get the opportunity to be there when they are laying the pavers. I always get stressed about this kind of job. Am I going to have to charge this customer a months salary so that I can baby sit his construction crew?
Thanks for the response, got any more? I was beginning to think that no one cared.

If you are worried about cable getting moved or damaged follow Firefly's recommendation and run conduit. You didn't mention the load on these fixtures but here is a recomendation regardless of how to run your conduit to the fixtures

06-06-2007, 12:20 AM
I'm posting it again this time with sweeps. I don't want to confuse with irrigation 90's. I told you I can't draw for s

David Gretzmier
06-06-2007, 12:43 AM
although they use blue and red pipe/conduit in california, It's Ok to use standard pvc colors. :laugh:

06-06-2007, 12:53 AM
although they use blue and red pipe/conduit in california, It's Ok to use standard pvc colors. :laugh:

California the land of fruits and nuts!

Lite4
06-06-2007, 01:12 AM
Red and Blue, I agree with you, what you say is oh so true. Exactly, pick one sleeve to be your hub sleeve and link your conduit from light to light. Can't tell how far apart they are but run 10/2 between if you really want to minimize V drop and match voltage with the light in the HUB sleeve, of course you already know this. Duh.

Pro-Scapes
06-06-2007, 12:14 PM
putting the wire in the sleves shouldnt be hard with a good fish tape or you can opt to do what I have done in the past and install pull stings with bailing twine then duct tape them in place.

Be sure and cover all your conduits with duct tape or a cap to keep crap out during paver install or you may never get your lines thru once they become clogged.

I would just run the 1" the extra space will never hurt you and only make your pulls easier. If you T it like Mike is saying you shouldnt have a prob or you could just run smaller wire from all fixtures to the center and hub it.

Im working with one now we gotta have the masons come back to cut out openings for some Kim lights we are going to reccess... Then Im going to have to punch in 6 ft from the turf area and try to hit the small mark. Wish I had gotten to do the conduits like your doing!!!!!

Chris J
06-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the input everybody. Just this little bit of conversation has kicked my brain back in gear. I think I've got a clear head now.... must be time for a drink.
By the way, I think I am leaning toward the blue conduit. It will go nicely with my uniform.

Pro-Scapes
06-06-2007, 04:33 PM
your in florida... perhaps you can find a tropical print or flamingo pink conduit ???

Anything gaudy will work thats for sure. Make sure you bill extra for the designer conduits :)

David Gretzmier
06-07-2007, 12:56 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one around here with a sense of humor. good luck on the install. :drinkup: