PDA

View Full Version : Another sod job ?

Haulin' Grass
06-05-2007, 04:06 PM
I've got a customer that wants 400 sq ft(approx) torn up and sod laid down. What are some of you getting per sq ft ? I'm thinking around $1.00 installed. I can get it for .28 my cost. Prep will be billed separate. I'm thinking of taking my power thatcher to it before laying down sod. Not really tilling it but loosing it up. Finally my first sod job. Also I've heard you need to roll it after it's put down. True ???

dcgreenspro
06-05-2007, 05:18 PM
is the area were are talking about weed infested or bare ground? If weed infested, round-up and then take your dethatcher to it. If bare ground, I think you can get away with your dethatcher but tilling would be best in both instances.
For pricing, I really don't do separate billing for both, just roll it into my sq. ft. cost. I have a job that has already been prepped and am getting 600.00 for it (requires 2 pallets). It all depends on how fast you can prep and if you are hauling away any materials as to how much additional cost you put onto it. Hope this helps.

tthomass
06-06-2007, 01:18 AM
I pull on average $1......watch your daily operating cost/overhead and set a minimum.

Am I going to pick up sod, drive to the job and install 400 SF for $400? No way. The only exception is Saturday's.....sometimes I'll knock out small jobs just to help out somebody or an existing customer but I still set a minimum.

M-F is all business.

Haulin' Grass
06-06-2007, 07:05 AM
No round up it's on the water. I was thinking of thatcher set really low to kill two birds with one stone. Rip out what is there and loosen up the soil. I haven't windshield the job yet but this lady's job is 35 min away and she said that she didn't want to waste my time. Wow that's a first.

$1 per sq ft is install price only, I charge $50 for delivery/pick-up

How do you figure out how much to charge per sq ft for prep ??

Pro-Scapes
06-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Just get a pallet 1 pallet path job around here for quality work is 500 for st aug with the sod costing around 200. That includes me tilling it some starter fert and everything.

Haulin' Grass
06-06-2007, 09:09 PM
It's a done deal. Job will be done on Mon./Tues. Just laying down the sod she had someone else rototill it. This might have made my job harder. Hopefully not

EJD Lawnpride
06-08-2007, 07:52 PM
I would try to do the prep work, tell her that it may cause more time/money if someone else does it.