PDA

View Full Version : Adding an electric starter to a recoil

cpel2004
06-05-2007, 07:41 PM
How hard is it to add an electric starter to a mower. How do you think it would cost me?

Restrorob
06-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Well, It could be anywhere between $300 and $500 depending on what engine you are putting it on. Model and spec/type numbers would have helped.

fixer67
06-06-2007, 11:29 PM
In most cases it will cost so much it is not worth it. You can buy a new engine with electric start for close to what it will cost to add it to an engine that does not have it. You will need a starter, a new flywheel, a stator and maybe a voltage regulator. The there is the wiring for a solenoid and switch system and wiring for the charging system. If you really want to do it the cheapest way is to find a junk engine of the same type that has what you need and strip it for the parts you need. It is not all that hard (wiring can give you pains some times) but the cost will make you cry.

petez
06-08-2007, 03:23 AM
You dont need all the electronics, the starter and flywheel is all you need. If you are not running lights or other power a battery will start your engine plenty of times. I don't even mess with batteries anymore, I use a jump box to start my rider and walk behind mower. I found buying a jump box was easier and cheaper than replacing battries every 2 years for 4 tractors.