PDA

View Full Version : Can 2,4-D hurt trees?

lawnboyblake
06-05-2007, 09:22 PM
I am curious if 2,4-D can harm birch trees? My buddy and I were talking today about some lawns he sprayed and now all the birch trees seem to be dying, or at least looking like they are......He sprayed early in the morning, zero drift. So I know that wasnt a concearn, so as he says....I would think it would be almost impossible to kill trees with even the slight drift you could get. What do ya guys think?

americanlawn
06-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Yep - it can. Dicamba (the D in 2-4D) especially, since it is easily uptaken by tree roots. 2-4D can also harm them if sprayed on saplings growing off the tree's root system.

mkroher
06-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Yep - it can. Dicamba (the D in 2-4D) especially, since it is easily uptaken by tree roots. 2-4D can also harm them if sprayed on saplings growing off the tree's root system.

americanlawn... .the D means Di (2), for two chlorine atoms on the molecule.

Ric
06-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Blake

Standard question on most pesticide Exams is about Broad leaf Herbicides and the Fact trees are Broad leaf plants. The question may be worded different but the Question will be there. Yes it is highly likely that the 2,4-D as in Di Latin for TWO has effected the trees. Depending on the size of the trees and the amount of 2,4-D as in Di meaning Two, that was applied the trees "MAY as in Maybe" survive.

lawnboyblake
06-06-2007, 12:56 AM
The trees that he's concerned about have mulched beds around them. The mulch extends about 3 feet from the bottom of each tree. That is why we are highly doubting that it could have affected them. Also, he has sprayed them in the past with the same chemicals and no effect such as this. How would the roots have picked up the dicamba in the first place? Also, he did spray them in a time of pretty bad drought, I think we had 17 days of no rain or something....He said there was no way it got on the leaves of the trees. How does everyone else spray when these type of trees are around?? O boy, he's gonna be worried by the time I show him all this....

Ric
06-06-2007, 01:13 AM
Blake

American Lawn is a wealth of MISinformation. There is no Dicamba in 2,4-D

Dicamba is a woody stem plant killer (as opposed to Herbaceous stems) and is in most 3 or 4 way products in very small percentages. However you said 2,4-D which has no Dicamba. 2,4-D can be absorbed by the root which might extend be on the 3 ft planter beds. The fact that you have been in a drought sure makes the 2,4-D even more suspect.

Because of the Drought I have not done any Herbicide applications for several months now. Once our rain season starts I will apply herbicides in low rates because of higher temperatures.

naughty62
06-06-2007, 07:53 AM
I have seen a lot birchtrees planted the last year or two, and lots did not made the winter.local box stores pedalled a lot of clump or bunchbirch .

Grandview
06-06-2007, 08:06 AM
It is unlikely that the birch trees are being affected by the 24-D application. Most likely the birches are suffering from either leaf miner or birch borer. Birch trees can have borers for several years and drought conditions make the symptoms show more. Parts of the tree normally starting at the top fail to leaf out. I have sprayed woody shrubs with three way trying to kill them. It normally takes a couple applications. A little drift might make a few leaves curl but thats it. 24-D has very little soil activity, close to none. Try spraying the soil around some broad leaf weeds in your garden. You will see no affect.

RigglePLC
06-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Dry spell is not good for birch trees. What do other nearby trees look like? What are symptoms? Are the leaves brown--sign of drought. Sunny side affected first. Old and new leaves are affected, plant usually wilts first.

OR Are the leaves twisted and curled, puckered, petioles curved, mainly in the new growth--edges curled like drawstring? Does it look the same as dandelions you just sprayed? Then herbicide.

What was rate? How much (if any) dicamba was in the mix?

Spraying weed killer on warm soil could (possibly) cause volitilization (particularly if an he used ester form of 2,4-D) The vapors rise and affect the foliage. A still hot day would be a little worse, whereas a gentle breeze would blow vapors away.

lawnservice
06-06-2007, 08:31 AM
so.....what does the lawn look like? Any damage done to the lawn from this 2,4-d product? Unless we are saying that all the product applied to the lawn ALL drifted onto the trees or all was applied so close to the trees for root absorbtion...sooo unlikely....then them there trees have other issues going on.

side note: I'm sure American just had a brain cramp (at least thats what I'm hoping) but its gonna take a long time to live this one down
*sigh*

lawnboyblake
06-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Well guys,
Sounds like he couldn't have hurt the trees with the spray. He said the lawn looked great, no more weeds and green as can be...He said this morning that the guy lives on VERY sandy soil also, usually has to water the crap out of the trees but didnt this year yet because of how wet of a spring it was, until our mini-drought.....Guess he's gonna learn his watering lesson again, he replaced 4 of em about 3 years ago I guess from no water.....

lawnservice
06-06-2007, 07:20 PM
not to say that the 2,4-D could have contributed to the decline in the trees(now knowing the soil is very sandy), but I certainly do not think it would be the sole cause of decline.

americanlawn
06-06-2007, 08:03 PM
My mistake - I assumed you used a 3-way cuz straight 2-4D is rarely used on turf. No dicamda in straight 2-4D. Sorry. Thanks for you kind remark Ric. You pointed out my mistake very clearly (just as you pointed out that I knew nothing about hydracell pumps....btw I just sold one of ours to a site member). 2-4D can kill trees if they are under stress and if the saplings that grow off the tree's root system are treated. I hope this clears this up. Sorry for my bad advice.