PDA

View Full Version : adding an anti-scalp wheel ?

Ray Zorback
06-05-2007, 11:32 PM
I recently bought a Scag Freedom Z, 19HP Kawasaki, 52" cut. There is only one thing I don't like about it. On slight slopes, it scalps like a pissed off Indian. This is not entirely the fault of the mower. I know that because I mow my Bermuda to 1" makes the scalping worse. The picture in my avatar shows an early proto-type of the Freedom Z which has an anti-scalp wheel on each side. The model they are selling does not have the anti-scalp wheel on the discharge side. They have moved the front wheel over and eliminated the anti-scalp wheel. My questions are: 1) Would it work to fabricate and weld a bracket to the discharge side to add an anti-scalp wheel? 2) Have any of you added anti-scalp wheels to your mowers? 3) Would it void my warranty?

Jay Ray
06-07-2007, 01:29 AM
Are you encouraging weeds mowing at 1 inch?

I mow Bermuda at 2 and 2.5 inches. 1 inch would multi-scalp most lawns here even with a small deck, 32 or 36. 2 inch cut height scalps some.

Scag designs a good machine stock, so you really have to consider that you could be mowing too low. Yes I know some books recommend down to 1 inch and even lower but I think that is assuming a lawn surface grade like a pool table, a 21" deck, and complete maintenance applications (regular spraying).

But a good welder/fabricater can add anti-scalp brackets and wheel. If I had to wager, I'd bet the deck warranty would be lost if the deck was modified.

Ray Zorback
06-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Are you encouraging weeds mowing at 1 inch?

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I have found the opposite to be true. By keeping my Bermuda at 1", I think it encourages horizontal growth which chokes out weeds. Also, about 90% of my yard is close to pool table smooth. I've been mowing to 1" for 5 years with 42" riders. The only problem areas for the Scag are where there is a slight grade around the 200' driveway and the grade around the house.

I mowed yesterday and tried going the other direction. I mowed discharging onto the driveway. This kept the side with the anti-scalp wheel on the downhill side. It worked a lot better, so I called my dealer and ordered a mulch plate so I don't have to blow off the driveway. I think I've solved my problem.

Jay Ray
06-07-2007, 11:11 PM
I think you solved it. Much better than welding on a brand new deck.