PDA

View Full Version : Meg-Mo Blades... So far so good...

leejp
06-05-2007, 10:46 PM
I bought a set of Meg-Mo's to go with my new mower, a Redhawk 36" cut dual hydro. I got them a couple of weeks ago (which was ~3 weeks after I ordered them).

When I tried to install them I found that my bolts would not fit through the hole, Roy offered to take them back and drill bigger holes but I found a metal worker friend to do it using an end mill.

I typically need to cut every 3~4 days this time of the year but I've been very busy this spring and have been cutting every 6~7 days. So I've been cutting some heavy growth. With mower set at ~3-1/4" cut and I have been taking 3~4" off in many spots. The last time I cut was exactly 1 week ago. A great test for the Meg-Mos... I installed them last night and tried them today.

First, with the regular high lift blades + side discharge shield on, I had been getting quite bit of clumping is spots cutting every 6~7 days.

So off I go with the Meg-Mo's today... First, when the blades are engaged with the throttle low, there is a bit of a metal banging sound as the blades come up to speed (should I be concerned about this?), as the throttle is moved to high, the blades speed up and start making a helicopter/vacuum sound. The mower vibrates slightly more (vs High Lifts).

I'm happy to report that with the Meg-Mo's there is virtually no clumping (just a little bit in the really heavy areas. With the discharge shield down, the clippings still disperse quite well (2~3 rows over). Overall a much cleaner cut with the Meg-Mo's. The grass was for the most part dry but high in moisture content as it rained quite a bit last night here.

I did notice that some clippings were longer than what I've seen other members report (posted pics), but there were clippings left on the lawn from the last time I cut that I didn't completely disperse with the blower. I'm wondering if it's not these that the Meg-Mo's are throwing around...

After I cut I jacked up the deck and checked it out. There was little/no build up under the deck. So overall, the first cut went well.

Keep in mind that I'm a homeowner and I can cut pretty much under favorable conditions (not while it's raining or when the grass is excessively wet). For me the Meg-Mo's seem to be operating as advertised. The next several cuts should tell for sure.

ke5hbd
06-09-2007, 02:02 AM
"I typically need to cut every 3~4 days this time of the year but I've been very busy this spring and have been cutting every 6~7 days. So I've been cutting some heavy growth. With mower set at ~3-1/4" cut and I have been taking 3~4" off in many spots. The last time I cut was exactly 1 week ago. A great test for the Meg-Mos... I installed them last night and tried them today."

I would check for for signs of interference between the blades themselves or the deck.

Sounds like the blades are hitting something under the deck like a bolt or the edge of the deck or each other.

There should never be any banging or interference between the blabes.

As far as the helicopter sound its just the blades dloing their job as a vacumn.

Hope you figure it out and post your findings

dcgreenspro
06-09-2007, 09:53 AM
I used to her that loud bang also but w/ new mower deck belt and enganging at about 75% open throttle, you won't hear that noise. I don't have any vibration w/ those blades, i might check to make sure you have them mountd the right way.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-09-2007, 01:56 PM
there is always a clank when you engage with Meg-mos, it's the blades swinging back against the disk.........no problem..........

ke5hbd
06-09-2007, 02:24 PM
I was just concerned that maybe there was something else coming into contact with the blades from the deck area.

I know that on my old snapper I changed the blade with a new blade and found interference between the deck and blade tip after installing new blade.

Blade was changed because of impact with some unknown object and lower lip of the deck was rolled under. Fixed mower and didn't loan it out anymore after that.

leejp
06-10-2007, 09:04 PM
there is always a clank when you engage with Meg-mos, it's the blades swinging back against the disk.........no problem..........

I think that's what it is... once the blades speed up there's no hitting sound. Also I think the vibration is normal... just at a different frequency than the standard hi-lift blades. I'll keep the Meg-mo's on for a season to see how they perform.

Runzwiscizzers
06-11-2007, 10:36 AM
I purchased a pair of these blades about 6 weeks ago. I was pleased with them at first, seemed to cut well, distributed the cuttings well. Grass was tall so had to run over a couple of areas a few times to chop them up.

We are behind on rain now, and grass is almost dormant, but not the weeds and clover. Last two times I have cut, it leaves the clover, doesn't cut it at all. Very uneven cut too. I think there is just no lift in these blades.

I will take them off and put my gators back on this next week.

It seems like a great innovation, this product, but I just didn't get the results that the web page for this company showed in their video.

Maybe try them again this fall when I try to mulch leaves.