PDA

View Full Version : "You didn't kill all the weeds in my lawn"

lawncuttinfoo
06-05-2007, 11:27 PM
"And I'm not gonna pay you until they are all gone"

Got this call today on a one time spray of a 75% weed 25% grass lawn. Talked for 10 minutes and realized there was no way to talk rationally to her.
I will call tomorrow and tell her I am sorry for not explaining better to her that I my weed control program will not take care of 100% of the weeds, that she can recycle the invoice, I will call it a complementary service and wish her good luck in the future. She was a walk up when I was doing a job and I didn't have her sign a contract (stupidly)

What would you do?

Ric
06-05-2007, 11:35 PM
LawnCutting

I suggest you go back and kill all her weeds. Sahara should do the job nicely.

vegomatic40
06-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Any disclaimer on the invoice? I had a handful of customers over the years to deny payment in lieu of additional service but most have been reasonable. I give no guarantee on 1 app. only. I explain to them that it is a "program" and requires multiple apps. for complete control. I never say "kill" regarding any app. other than a vegetation control with something non-selective such as Glyphosate. I also expalin to them that if it only took 1 app. to control all weeds and make the lawn healthy and green I would bill them the equivalent of the number of apps. required and goof off the rest of the year. Usually they understand it when I explain it that way.

Harley-D
06-06-2007, 08:41 AM
LawnCutting

I suggest you go back and kill all her weeds. Sahara should do the job nicely.

Only if hitler was applying it, right?
imazapyr and diuron=sahara
Good for this job but not for the other guy's bamboo problem?:confused:
Just curious. Depends on the mix rate though.

garydale
06-06-2007, 09:06 AM
I send them a couple of post card with "PASS DUE!" in bold type so the world knows they are dead beats.

After that, I turn them in to a collection company that fires off four collection letters.(www.olddebts.com) About $18.00 per account.

Half the time I get my money. Either way I get satisfaction and move on.

Ric
06-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Only if hitler was applying it, right?
imazapyr and diuron=sahara
Good for this job but not for the other guy's bamboo problem?:confused:
Just curious. Depends on the mix rate though.

Honda Guy

This post was tongue in Cheek. I wouldn't honestly recommend Sahara for any thing.

Harley-D
06-06-2007, 09:33 AM
:laugh: Pickin up what your layin down.

Ric
06-06-2007, 09:47 AM
:laugh: Pickin up what your layin down.

Rice Burner

I have been known to lay it down real heavy, as dumping it. :D

Rtom45
06-06-2007, 11:44 AM
garydale (FYI):
if your post card says PASS DUE, you're doing yourself a disservice, it should say PAST DUE.

Tscape
06-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I send them a couple of post card with "PASS DUE!"

Seems like that would only confuse anyone who reads it.

ampeg76
06-06-2007, 02:28 PM
people that let their lawn go that far are usually lazy deadbeats and want some kind of miracle dust to bring it back, not gonna happen:)

Ric
06-06-2007, 05:59 PM
people that let their lawn go that far are usually lazy deadbeats and want some kind of miracle dust to bring it back, not gonna happen:)

Truer words Have never been spoken.

americanlawn
06-06-2007, 06:14 PM
I like Ric's post cuz she deserves it. A few years ago, we started requiring signed "sign-up forms' (mailed or faxed, or they can email confirmation to us). We provide free service calls to anybody, but expecting complete weed kill in one app is ridiculous, and good customers realize this. My wife is our bookkeeper, and she HATES "deadbeats" bigtime. She always says, "We're here to MAKE money --- not give it away." Situations like this really make us guys appreciate the nice customers - they are why we love what we do.

ATL Lawn
06-06-2007, 06:31 PM
some folks aren't that bright

http://ehoez.com/why.gif

Greg Amann
06-06-2007, 07:10 PM
We changed the wording in our literature 10 years ago. It use to say "weed control", now it says "weed suppression". Weed suppression is more realistic as to what it is.
We don't do contracts and don't really have any problems except on rare occasion.
We explain if an area is larger than 2 feet across with no turf that they need to re-sod the area. We do not keep bare ground weed free.
In the case stated above, we would also encourage the customer to call someone else as it is impossible for us to meet their expectation.

Ric
06-06-2007, 07:29 PM
We changed the wording in our literature 10 years ago. It use to say "weed control", now it says "weed suppression". Weed suppression is more realistic as to what it is.
We don't do contracts and don't really have any problems except on rare occasion.
We explain if an area is larger than 2 feet across with no turf that they need to re-sod the area. We do not keep bare ground weed free.
In the case stated above, we would also encourage the customer to call someone else as it is impossible for us to meet their expectation.

Greg

Good to see you back posting. I have always used the term Weed Control vs Weed Free. But I like the term Weed Suppression better and feel it is a better term. We have not talked in a long time and I am wondering if you are still using my Weed Cocktail?? Now that Atrazine is an RUP I have had to change up my Cocktail. Please PM me your Phone Number I would like to talk about Weed Cocktails with you.

ampeg76
06-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Truer words Have never been spoken.

cheers to that one brother:drinkup:

lawncuttinfoo
06-07-2007, 11:22 PM
it was a $30 app and I didn't have her sign my contract, she says I killed "nothing" I will see when I go back for second app on her neighbors tomorrow.

Grandview
06-08-2007, 06:30 AM
You should have gotten 85 to 95% control on dandelions and clover.