PDA

View Full Version : I want my lawn cut for 10 bucks

Desoto_Lawn_Care
06-06-2007, 12:44 AM
I was doing some prospecting in my own neighborhood today, handing out flyers and stuff and I ran into a guy with an overgrown lawn cleaning his garage. I introduced myself and handed him a flyer. He asked me what my rates are and after I told him, he said "I'm looking for something a little cheaper, like 10 or 15 bucks a week tops." I told him my rates are competitive and that he would have a hard time even finding a kid to do it for 10 bucks with just a pushmower and nothing else; no trimming, edging, hedging, blowing, etc. He said he wants to continue shopping around so I promptly thanked him for his time and headed across the street and met yet another el cheapo that wanted just a one-time cutting for under 20 bucks. So-long sucka :waving:

BLKSS
06-06-2007, 01:35 AM
yea youll get those sometimes, but once the city tag's them & charges them 100 bucks after they do a half ass job, theyll come crawling back.

bohiaa
06-06-2007, 07:57 AM
LOL yea I'm looking for a NEW truck,,,, ya know maybe a FORD 350 duely

but I want to pay 700.00 total and it needs to be a 2008 model

Patriot Services
06-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Sir I will PAY you 20.00 and let you use my 21" push mower. I will just stand over here in the shade and watch. When you are done you might then have a clue what my service is worth and why I charge what I do. People do not get it, lawn service is a LUXURY. Keep pounding the pavement and advertising , you will get customers. All the wannabe start-ups are dropping like flies now.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

topsites
06-06-2007, 08:17 AM
You have to say "free grass cuts tomorrow... "

No, but really, "Thank you for your time" works very well.

Your Lawn First
06-06-2007, 01:38 PM
sounds to me your in the wrong area of town to be cutting grass

POPO4995
06-06-2007, 04:01 PM
It's nice to want things huh?!:rolleyes:

Turf Professionals Inc.
06-06-2007, 04:06 PM
I have done jobs and made money and i have done jobs where I have lost money. All I have to say about this is "screw the jobs where you lose money". i like what bohiaa's qoute says. I they cant afford you, then you dont need the work.

kevinlane
06-06-2007, 04:24 PM
I was doing some prospecting in my own neighborhood today, handing out flyers and stuff and I ran into a guy with an overgrown lawn cleaning his garage. I introduced myself and handed him a flyer. He asked me what my rates are and after I told him, he said "I'm looking for something a little cheaper, like 10 or 15 bucks a week tops." I told him my rates are competitive and that he would have a hard time even finding a kid to do it for 10 bucks with just a pushmower and nothing else; no trimming, edging, hedging, blowing, etc. He said he wants to continue shopping around so I promptly thanked him for his time and headed across the street and met yet another el cheapo that wanted just a one-time cutting for under 20 bucks. So-long sucka :waving:

10 bucks, omfg! Good job handling that..... I had something like that happened on a cleanout, only after the work was done. I learned a valuable lesson that day.....lol.

Grits
06-06-2007, 04:47 PM

Heck, if I could find someone to do my yard for that much, I would have to let them do it!:laugh:

JB1
06-06-2007, 05:12 PM
sad part is he will probably find someone to do it at that price.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
06-06-2007, 05:56 PM
I was thinking about pricing today ironically. I came to a realization. I used to get a little upset when homeowners would try to negotiate or cut down our prices. I used to take it personally thinking that is what they think that we are worth. What I realized is this. They are really saying that is all they are worth. That their property is not is not worth that much to them. That they do not value themselves enough to hire quality for a little bit more money, and get a service that they can really appreciate.

Desoto_Lawn_Care
06-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Patriot, your words speak a million. I could not have said it better myself. Trinity, those are exactly my thoughts. All of you guys, thanks a million.

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT
06-06-2007, 11:09 PM
I started my business when I was in college in Bowling Green KY. There were fairly large LCO cutting yard for 10-15 bucks. I since moved back home and continued with my business. I get 35-45 for the same yard here. For the most part I don't unload my equipment for less than 20-25 bucks.

KS_Grasscutter
06-06-2007, 11:18 PM
For the most part I don't unload my equipment for less than 20-25 bucks.

Same here. Well, except for one I just picked up today. It is a 15x15 backyard, real close here, should be in and out in 15 mins, counting drive time too, gonna get $15 a week for it.

AllAmericanlawn
06-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Is it even worth messing with the customer for $15 dollars a week? I dont even consider it an account if it is not $30 or more a week.

pressley10r
06-07-2007, 12:19 AM
Is it even worth messing with the customer for $15 dollars a week? I dont even consider it an account if it is not $30 or more a week.

+1 you guys are crazy, i wont drop my gate for less than $35.

MeadowsLawnCare
06-07-2007, 01:21 AM
I would do a customer for 15 a week if it wasn't out of my way and the lot size was very small and minimul trimming with no edging needed. But its not worth the gas to go out of your way for less than $25 no matter how long it takes.

easycareacres
06-07-2007, 02:32 AM
$10 bucks in ozz downunder wouldnt pay for me and trailer to address.

Turf Professionals Inc.
06-07-2007, 01:49 PM
I wont drop my gate for less than $45!

KTO Enterprises
06-07-2007, 01:59 PM
$10 bucks in ozz downunder wouldnt pay for me and trailer to address.

10 dollars in Beaufort SC wont get your phone call returned.
LOL

Vikings
06-07-2007, 02:02 PM
From now on I'm going to make everyone pay me in American money.

kevinlane
06-07-2007, 06:47 PM
From now on I'm going to make everyone pay me in American money.

ROFL! Good one

LushGreenLawn
06-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Down the street from my house there is a sign in someones front yard

"Will cut grass for tips"

In the newspaper "Call a Pro" section that I advertise in:

Power Lawn
Will beat anybodys price by 15%

The first one I hope is someones 10 year old, the second one I'm sure is a non-legit tax evader.

fiveoboy01
06-08-2007, 01:47 AM

I agree.

You start doing these, and next thing you know you're doing a ton of nickel and dime jobs, wasting all your time, and making no money.

Novaowner
06-08-2007, 08:14 AM
I wont drop my gate for less than $45!

I'm almost like you...I won't drop my tailgate for no less than $40! My customers range from $40-$55 a cut on average for 1/4 acre to 2/3 acre lots. I've lost a couple of customers to low ballers this year. It's a shame, cause I just started doing this business this year!

I had one lady who asked for an estimate with a 2/3 acre lot say, "I'm used to paying $20-30 a cut." I just said, "That's fine, you need to get that person that will. I run a legitimate business and can't afford to charge that low."

So far the business is going ok for it's first year, hope it picks up some more!

topsites
06-08-2007, 08:58 AM
I tell you, looking back on many of my lost accounts, I see more than a few had one thing in common... That is as soon as the bs begins, be it haggling or whatever, I see the writing on the wall anymore, I hate it. I still take them on if I can get something, but sure enough, sooner or later they force the hand, and it's over or fast on its way.

Maybe that's what I'll do, next time someone starts to force or push, say "Please stop writing on the wall." Then when they go "HUH?" I say "You're going to keep prodding and testing, try and try as you might to get a little discount, and one day you're going to push the wrong button and it's over, I see the writing on the wall already." Course they'll say "oh nonono it is not like that" so then the answer to that is "yeah..."

But yeah, $30 minimum, maybe I should make it $35, still it frustrates, soon as I have to tell them it's my friggin' minimum, sure enough: Cheapos.

I did enjoy the explanation that the customer doesn't think much of themselves (vs. of me), which is how this comes about, might take a little time before I can see that, but it sure helps to think of it like that.

Vikings
06-08-2007, 06:10 PM
I got a large yard (my largest) 18,000 sq ft, fairly open, especially in the front, it's wide open.

I charged $45/wk, I did it for a month and today I tried to raise it to $65 mostly because he wants me to bag and take away the grass and I don't do that. So we settled on $55 a cut and if I cut it on mondays I can leave the bags cause tues is garbage day. I told him I can't bag because my new lawn mower (toro 36") is getting a mulch kit installed.

He says, "So, you want to raise the price AND reduce the service."

I know that's BS but I said Yes:).

He goes on about my price is competitive with someone else and they take the grass away. But I still cut it again today, I bagged some clippings because I don't have my mulch kit yet and had to side discharge but it looked real nice. I'm going to tell him I mulched it though, lol. "See it's as good as bagged and better for the lawn"

cpel2004
06-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Throw some grubs in her yard.