PDA

View Full Version : What's everybody wearing?

green-pa
06-06-2007, 02:00 PM
I have only 2 shirts with my co name on them and when they're dirty and my gf hasn't washed them I am forced to use something else. I usually wear a green or neutral colored T, muscle shirt, or tank top, but do u think it matters that much on small residential proporties? I see some guys looking really ragid and smoking and stuff while they work, I don't do that and always try to look clean-cut. However I find myself wearing a white tank top today that says "palm springs" on it in little letters on front and big on the back. Is this a big deal? I'm sure it's better to ALWAYS wear co name on shirts, but?

Your Lawn First
06-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Green-pa,

I have a least 10 company shirts and 5 hats, Im a one man crew and will not go out to cut unless Im fully in uniform. It would be best for you to get more shirts made at least 5 total that way you are not running into this problem every other day. As for wearing tank tops and muscle shirts I would not do it. Look at it this way the days you are not wearing your company shirt you are not advertising your company so if you mow 5-7 days a week you only advertise 2 days and it should be your GF job to wash your shirt (unless she works for you) Long story short get more shirts made, and a couple hats to

green-pa
06-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Green-pa,

I have a least 10 company shirts and 5 hats, Im a one man crew and will not go out to cut unless Im fully in uniform. It would be best for you to get more shirts made at least 5 total that way you are not running into this problem every other day. As for wearing tank tops and muscle shirts I would not do it. Look at it this way the days you are not wearing your company shirt you are not advertising your company so if you mow 5-7 days a week you only advertise 2 days and it should be your GF job to wash your shirt (unless she works for you) Long story short get more shirts made, and a couple hats to

Yeah, I could easily do that. I guess I've been procrastinating..lol. So how many years u been at this and how many accounts or customers do u have per week? With that many shirts and hats u must have afull sced?

Your Lawn First
06-06-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm in my 5th year. I have 50 resd. customers and 5 commercial customers. I work five days a week about 10-12 yards a day 6-8 hours a day.

green-pa
06-06-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm in my 5th year. I have 50 resd. customers and 5 commercial customers. I work five days a week about 10-12 yards a day 6-8 hours a day.

really? What do u do in the winter?

Your Lawn First
06-06-2007, 02:31 PM
sit on my A@S most of the time lol if the GF lets me. Trust me man you need to do everything in your power to get to this point in your business, it is the best. I had to do a lot of peenie counting for a while but im here to tell you it was well worth it. I'm thinking about also going into the pressure washing business too I have buddy that does it and makes a killing.and only works 9 months out of the year too.

flathead
06-06-2007, 05:53 PM
I am a big fan of a neat appearance. As cheap as it is to buy t-shirts by the dozen, I can see no reason to not have a clean company shirt to wear each day.

paul vroom
06-06-2007, 05:59 PM
This turned out to be a bummer.........owell. I am wearing socks..........

flathead
06-06-2007, 06:05 PM
But are you wearing underwear? No real LCO's wear underwear, lol.

paul vroom
06-06-2007, 06:14 PM
lol......all I a ware when I am on lawnsite is socks.

abloom
06-06-2007, 08:28 PM
I really think you should reconsider wearing tank tops. Nothing is less professional than a tank top. If your shirts are dirty consider a polo. Don't worry about what everyone else is wearing...... set your own personal standard.

WJW Lawn
06-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Does anyone wear a golf shirt with their logo on it? Right now I wear T-shirts with my logo...but Ive often thought it would look better to wear a golf shirt. However...I dont know how much fun it would be to work in. I just know I'd look like John Daley making his way to the 18th tee on a 95 degree day when I got done! lol

But seriously...do any of you guys work in that type apparel?

DLAWNS
06-06-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm all about the appearance (Khaki cargo pants,company shirts, clean truck and trailer w/ logos) and as professional as they look I won't wear polos while working. For meeting w/ high-end customers thats one thing. I had to wear them when I worked for a company down in Florida and it was not fun

DSLND
06-06-2007, 10:37 PM
I always wear a gray t-shirt. I will be putting in an order for company shirts once i get some spare time. But i wear gray t-shirt, jeans unless it is over 100
degrees then i will wear shorts, Timberland work boots, STIHL hat, work gloves, and i have my phone clip on me along with my keys. Guys around here working on big crews or small solo guys dress like crap when they work. I saw a guy the other day SMOKING a cigarette while on a grasshopper frount mount mower. You always see guys in white beaters and shorts. To me image is a lot, i will always wear a T, boots, and jeans or shorts. Just including these basic assets can make your company stand out from the crowd. -Mitch-

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
06-06-2007, 10:41 PM

What type of advertising did you use to get that many accounts?
Thanks
Ryan :)

WJW Lawn
06-06-2007, 10:51 PM
I saw a guy today...must have been 3-large...wearing NO shirt. Now Im no small fry...im 245...but I dang sure aint taking my shirt off to mow a lawn. Thing is...this guy wasnt a scrub...but an employee of a very well established company ---and I know the owner. Blew my mind lol I would say something to the owner...but he was on the lawn too! lol Nuts.

So...Polos are a bad idea huh???? I just think they look nice. Maybe I'll cut in one tomorrow...see how it works for me.

snowjeep
06-06-2007, 11:02 PM
I take two shirts a day. Start off with t-shirt w/ company logo and once I sweat it up I put on a sleevless w/ company logo. Not a muscle shirt. Alway wear tan cargo short or tan dickies depending on temp. Also have a logo hat on but they are black mesh bad idea, I got them over the winter. I am looking into a new color.( 5 t-shirts, 5 sleevless, 5 hats) It keeps the wife happy that I am not bugging her for clean uniforms.

David Hartzog
06-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Cloths although i'd like my doubles to swing in the wind well until someone hits a rock or something hard and it flys my way and nails me and my ***** fall out.

ouch..................

Trimmer Man007
06-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Where could I order Polo's with my logo on them? That sounds like a great idea to me.

General Landscaping
06-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Here's my shirt Columbia (http://www.columbia.com/Product.aspx?top=1&p=4361&cat=15020&viewAll=False)
Only problem is..... it looks like they dropped the "fossil" color.
Nothing in that color lineup has me wanting to get a new round.

I can't stand having a "farmer tan"

Grits
06-07-2007, 12:16 AM
I ocassionally wear a polo shirt, when I am feeling very professional. :) Down here in Florida, though, polo's tend to get hot as heck.

abloom
06-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Check out this site, they have a large selection and good prices.

http://www.discountshirtco.com/

Grits
06-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Here's my shirt Columbia (http://www.columbia.com/Product.aspx?top=1&p=4361&cat=15020&viewAll=False)
Only problem is..... it looks like they dropped the "fossil" color.
Nothing in that color lineup has me wanting to get a new round.

I can't stand having a "farmer tan"

I knew you had to be from Florida. This state has to be the Capitol of Columbia fishing shirts.

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
06-07-2007, 12:19 AM
I have a ? If you wore a t- shirt you could put your logo big and whatever you wanted on the back for better advertisement, but on a polo that would look cheesy. So which would you rather have more advertisement or a better apperance??????

abloom
06-07-2007, 12:23 AM
I have a ? If you wore a t- shirt you could put your logo big and whatever you wanted on the back for better advertisement, but on a polo that would look cheesy. So which would you rather have more advertisement or a better apperance??????

I think they are equally important.

KTO Enterprises
06-07-2007, 12:28 AM
IM sorry, but I dont know how you people can be on your feet all day and wear boots. I have to wear tennis shoes or my ankles will be as bog around as a cit bus when I get home. As for clothes I usually wear one of my racing shirts I had made to give away to fans. Usually becomes a topic of small talk with my customers. And as for a tank top not looking professional, most of my customers fart money and a lot of them as why I dont wear tank tops during the summer because of the heat. Polos might work above north carolina, but down here you will have no skin left on your neck if you wear a polo shirt outside in the summer.

sheshovel
06-07-2007, 12:49 AM
Can't you manage to wash your own shirts? Must be scary to be that dependent on someone.

HOOLIE
06-07-2007, 01:05 AM
I have friends that work in the computer industry that dress 'more down' than what some of you guys think WE should wear, out in the heat sweating our arses off. Uniforms, especially for a solo or 2 man op, are a bit overrated I've always thought...I mean you're the same guy at their house each week, I'd think the customers will start to recognize you regardless of what you're wearing.

Most of the summer I wear sleeveless shirts, I'll buy 6-7 each summer. I've even been known to take the shirt off here and there when it's really stifling out, just for a bit to cool down some. The guy that trained me years ago hardly ever wore a shirt and he was one of the most professional guys in this business I've ever had the pleasure of working with.

Polos are HOT. You're out mowing, not working at Best Buy.

KTO Enterprises
06-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Are those real sheshovel?

sheshovel
06-07-2007, 03:46 AM
You betcha!

Big M LawnnSnow
06-07-2007, 05:31 AM
Company logo T shirts printed on both sides for dirty work and polo shirts with small logo on left front for estimates and meeting with clients.

puddin' pie
06-07-2007, 06:48 AM
i like to mow in the nude sometimes

WJW Lawn
06-07-2007, 07:45 AM
You betcha!

Uh Oh sheshovel...do you know how many PM's you're gonna get now??? lol

Prestige-Lawncare
06-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Green-pa,

I have a least 10 company shirts and 5 hats, I'm a one man crew and will not go out to cut unless I'm fully in uniform. It would be best for you to get more shirts made at least 5 total that way you are not running into this problem every other day. As for wearing tank tops and muscle shirts I would not do it. Look at it this way the days you are not wearing your company shirt you are not advertising your company so if you mow 5-7 days a week you only advertise 2 days and it should be your GF job to wash your shirt (unless she works for you) Long story short get more shirts made, and a couple hats to

Ouch! I see you haven't been trained yet! :hammerhead:

green-pa
06-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Can't you manage to wash your own shirts? Must be scary to be that dependent on someone.

I did today as a matter of fact. And I'm providing her with a place to stay, food, clothing, transportation, ect, so I wouldn't call it "dependant", if anything, she is dependant on ME! Ha, ha haaaa

green-pa
06-07-2007, 12:13 PM
I have friends that work in the computer industry that dress 'more down' than what some of you guys think WE should wear, out in the heat sweating our arses off. Uniforms, especially for a solo or 2 man op, are a bit overrated I've always thought...I mean you're the same guy at their house each week, I'd think the customers will start to recognize you regardless of what you're wearing.

Most of the summer I wear sleeveless shirts, I'll buy 6-7 each summer. I've even been known to take the shirt off here and there when it's really stifling out, just for a bit to cool down some. The guy that trained me years ago hardly ever wore a shirt and he was one of the most professional guys in this business I've ever had the pleasure of working with.

Polos are HOT. You're out mowing, not working at Best Buy.

Yeah, polos sound crazy unless it's in the 60's or low 70's. I actually have 2 shirts ( muscle shirts ) that I was assigned at a lawn and garden center in town that sold trees, shrubs, ect, and I figure if it was good for his multi-million $ biz, it's good enough for my solo opp. Oh, in case u r wondering, I ironed my co. name over the old one, lol. I saved some money on shirts! I was lucky their logo was small. I have one guy, today, that has an acre and there's really no one around, and they are usually not home most of the time. I'm thining about taking my shirt off while mowing that one. If anything it will help even out my tan a little. My arms and neck look like I'm hawaiian but the rest of my body looks like a regular old white boy :laugh:

KTO Enterprises
06-07-2007, 12:36 PM
My arms and neck look like I'm hawaiian but the rest of my body looks like a regular old white boy :laugh:

I have had mexicans think im mexican, just because my arms neck and face get so dark in in the summer.

flathead
06-07-2007, 12:58 PM

I think that is just a little bit scary, my friend. LMAO!!

flathead
06-07-2007, 12:59 PM

Hey, long time no see. Are you going to get my dinner now, or sit here on the computer all night? *trucewhiteflag*

Your Lawn First
06-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Turtle Creek, At first it was just word of mouth. I had 25 with just that. that took me les then one season to build. The next season I put out over 5,000 flyers and only got 4 more customers MFer. next season I went door to door and got 15 in just three weeks. Trust me people like to talk not read..lol offer to cut there grass that day for free no charge that was the deal closer for me. other then that nothing else really I just landed a contract with waffle house that got me 5 commercial accounts talk about easy money!!! If you do quality work the more work will follow. but be prepared I have had to turn work down know because it is geting to be to much. Hope this helps

GreenT
06-07-2007, 07:43 PM
What's everybody wearing?

Sounds dirty don't it? :)

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
06-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Turtle Creek, At first it was just word of mouth. I had 25 with just that. that took me les then one season to build. The next season I put out over 5,000 flyers and only got 4 more customers MFer. next season I went door to door and got 15 in just three weeks. Trust me people like to talk not read..lol offer to cut there grass that day for free no charge that was the deal closer for me. other then that nothing else really I just landed a contract with waffle house that got me 5 commercial accounts talk about easy money!!! If you do quality work the more work will follow. but be prepared I have had to turn work down know because it is geting to be to much. Hope this helps

Thank you very much! Good luck and keep up the good work!
Ryan

KTO Enterprises
06-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Sounds dirty don't it? :)

only thing i got on is the tv

Rax
06-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Hmmm...ummm...you could try washing your stuff yourself.

Lohse's Lawn Service
06-07-2007, 10:17 PM
My closet is full of green t-shirts with my company name on them. I have probably 6-7 to wear while working, and another 5-6 to wear when I'm out and about. I purposely ordered more than enough in order to hand them out to friends and customers, as well as have enough for me to work in without having to wash clothes at the last minute. They cost me about $9/shirt to have professionally done, and it was well worth it. It's advertising. The more shirts, the more potential customers.

Nathan Robinson
06-07-2007, 10:22 PM
speedos!!!!!!!!!!

UnderCutters Lawn Service
06-07-2007, 11:41 PM
I have seen more and more guys with great uniforms do a terrible job and guys wearing cut off T's (like myself) do a great job. We are mowing grass, not members of Congress. Let the work speak for itself.

sheshovel
06-07-2007, 11:54 PM
No but we doing a hell of a lot more work than the members of congress thats for damn sure!

tjsquickcuts
06-08-2007, 12:43 AM
We wear Orange Long Sleeve T-Shirts, with a Blue T-Shirt over the top with logo, Brown Cargo Pants/shorts, and in the winter I have jump suits, that are blue with orange lettering. Me as well as my my Foreman wear Polo shirts with logo on front and back. This helps us stand out while on the job. Looks are important if you ask me. We get so many Drive-by landscape jobs from people seeing us all looking professional and neat while working on projects. I dont allow any shirts with holes, or any bad grooming etc....I used to didnt care, then realized how much more people we attrached by looking alike and looking good. Its all advertising if you ask me....JMO

fiveoboy01
06-08-2007, 02:37 AM
I always always wear a company shirt with tan or green khakis when working. Normal T-shirt with logo and number on it, and I have a few sleeveless ones if it's real hot.

I used to wear boots all the time, but they'd make my feet sore. Lately I have been wearing tennis shoes.

SSS 18734
06-08-2007, 02:40 AM
I usually wear my parka, along with a pair of fisherman's waders and a motorcycle helmet.

Better safe than sorry is my motto. Sure it gets hot, but watcha gonna do?

Mr.Hurry
06-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Looking for a trimmer trap for a hustler superZ, does anybody know who makes one?

General Landscaping
06-08-2007, 11:15 PM
I knew you had to be from Florida. This state has to be the Capitol of Columbia fishing shirts.

There's a good reason for that.... chicks dig 'em.

And they can't be beat for staying cool.... well as cool as you can be in FL anyway.
And they have that handy little pocket on front that's just right for earplugs.

KTO Enterprises
06-09-2007, 12:51 PM

Those and Guy Harvey artwork tshirts.

NewWave
06-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Its better to be uniformed in my opinion. We all wear the same t-shirts, L/S shirts, sweaters and jackets. All of my guys have a hat or two. Juts looks more professional in my opnion. My business partner, project manager and I all have 5 Polos(nice ones) with our logo embroidered on the front left breast.

If you are going to spend your money on the equipment, trucks and trailers, you might as well spend it on the uniforms.

tjsquickcuts
06-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Well I plan on wearing a rain suit tomorrow and tuesday, because we have another chance for rain...I took it with me on Friday, and we got rain. Maybe the rain suit is the trick.

Garden Thyme
06-10-2007, 11:55 AM
So...Polos are a bad idea huh???? I just think they look nice. Maybe I'll cut in one tomorrow...see how it works for me.

I wear polo's (company logo) with khaki trousers. I think appearance counts a lot and it is a very good way of advertising yourself / business.

I've seen people wearing scruffy old clothes, or without shirt, cigarette in the mouth and cellphone against the ear. :blob2:

Sweet Tater
09-16-2007, 01:46 PM

Rofl, WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION

txgrassguy
09-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Myself and all of my employees are in a mandated uniform.
I wear a collar polo type shirt embroidered with my company name/telephone number on the left breast and my name on the right breast. Additionally I wear the same style of shorts all year long - simply put - I am in the same appearing uniform all of the time.
My employees wear silk screened t-shirts with the company info on the left breast, their name on the right breast and matching company info in huge letters across the rear of the shirt. All wear matching uniform pants and I allot for two pairs of replacement boots per employee per year.
Everyone also has heavy weight sweatshirts silk screened in the same manner as well as silk screened hats. For colder weather the crews all have matching brown hooded zip up jackets silk screened like the t-shirts.
My secretary wears a collar silk screened polo-type shirt and some sort of long pants in the office. Without being harsh towards her, I nixed the idea of her wearing shorts early on as she has been loosing her battle with cellulitous and she agreed. Apparently she thought since I was wearing shorts she needed too as well.
I have spent a small fortune on uniforms, the logo development and truck lettering. Was it worth it?
I'd say heck yes - I am sustaining growth at over 150% for the last year and a half because of the crews appearance, work ethic and reliability.

vaulta
09-16-2007, 09:40 PM
I have no company shirts, sometimes I wear no shirt. My work speaks for itself. I got so many referals and people coming up to me after I cut, I am turning down business I am so busy. I need too hire some work. I think people get too caught up in this professional look. People its just grass, its a dirty job.

cgaengineer
09-16-2007, 10:30 PM
I have been wearing shorts (Light weight nylon), Under Armour Underwear, and an Under Armour shirt (The skin tight one). For my shoes I have a pair of lightweight Timberlands that are similar to tennis shoes, but more like a boot.

If you have not tried Under Armour get yourself some...its a blessing from god!

Sweet Tater
09-18-2007, 06:44 PM
I have been wearing shorts (Light weight nylon), Under Armour Underwear, and an Under Armour shirt (The skin tight one). !

Hmmm, but there are certain bodies that shouldn't be seen in skin tight anything....:drinkup:

KeepOnCuttin
09-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Lawngrips anyone....? I got mine earlier in the season and love em :walking: They are just as comfy as any tennis shoes, plus the good rubber sole and steel toe :clapping:

KTO Enterprises
09-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Like I said in a previous post. I use A tshirt, Aramark khaki uniform pants, and Mechanix wear pit shoes. I dont get hot, grass and dirt doesnt stick to the uniform pants, easy to brush off when getting in the truck, and my feet have never felt better than they do now thanks to the pit shoes.

rfed32
09-18-2007, 08:36 PM
ripped jeans...ripped shirt shity rag like hat and i keep it real with the tenis shoes(green now)...i uslay wear another lco's shirt...

na i usally wear a t-shirt something plain...i have red ones....a pear of jeans and i keep it real with the redwings(best boot mad)...i work 20hrs one day got 6hours of sleep went back to work and did 8hrs then went and plow and shovel for anoter 20 hours...thurs-sat at noon all in the same boots

txgrassguy
09-19-2007, 02:09 AM
I have no company shirts, sometimes I wear no shirt. My work speaks for itself. I got so many referals and people coming up to me after I cut, I am turning down business I am so busy. I need too hire some work. I think people get too caught up in this professional look. People its just grass, its a dirty job.

Dude, you are missing the point completely.
Appearance is almost as important as work, simply put your credibility and perceived professionalism is greatly enhanced by a decent uniform.
I have multiple employees and one thing I hear over and over is that my clients like the way my guys look.
I have gotten much more business from a uniform appearance than I could ever possibly realize - in 2006 alone I signed over $80K worth of new grounds maintenance contracts.
Yes a lot of my recurring work comes from the quality job but almost as much from the profesional appearing uniforms and equipment.

topsites
09-19-2007, 03:56 AM
I do believe appearance makes a difference, but in time, because it takes time to build up the customer base and the equipment and everything else, and it costs money and the yin and the yang and this my 6th year is my first year I never took my shirt off.

Because it does make a difference but to a point, the first 5 years I could've cared less, I just kind of felt it, maybe it's the prices, maybe it's the customers, maybe it's pride, whatever.

It doesn't mean if anyone goes topless that we're worthless either, I'm still not sure what it means but I got a/c in the truck nowadays and that helps, see there's something to be said about all these uniform-wearing folks riding around in them shiny outfits... First of all I'm nobody's employee and I plain don't believe in uniforms, maybe it's just me but my first 5 years I drove basic work trucks (NO A/c) because of cost and I wear WHITE shirts because they keep me cool. So now I watch these guys out there wearing MAROON stuff that has got to be HOT! Oh but they all look so good, well that's great, then five years from now are they still in business or did the COST of their fancy appearance drive them right back out?

There's but so much pride, one weighs the pros and the cons, do what you feel is right for you, what I always say.

Here's another interesting take on things:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=200731

gettingstartedtampa
02-02-2008, 07:29 AM
I for one was the typical rag tag start up. As soon as lettered my truck and trailer. I put a big sheet of aluminum on the tailgate (open trailer) My phone started ringing off the hook. I seemed to get most of the calls while I was in traffic. Amazing.

I did the order 25 tshirts from this place http://www.onthespotshirts.com They have some great shirts and will do anything for very reasonable rates. I even got extra colors for the same price most places wanted for just one. Cool people to work with.

I now have the ability to change shirts during the day and gave some out to friends to help promote my business.

When I saw what the tailgate sign did for my business I committed to advertising on my back with a tshirt every where I go.

You can order the vinyl letting online or local and stick it on yourself. Pretty easy really.

It's amazing how many people ask me for a estimate when I am out walking around home depot or walmart in my company shirts.

Hope this helps.

lawnscapesLLC
02-02-2008, 06:56 PM
I usually wear t-shirts, sleeveless shirts or if really hot i go topless. i do notice that i get stopped more by woman while i'm topless than in a shirt. Middle aged woman who stay at home love seeing a young guy topless cutting their lawn :)

This year i do plan on getting company shirts this year tho. Not cause i think they are more professional looking, I like the company exposure and advertising from them.

topchoice
02-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Need a good place to buy T-shirts online. I like the dry-fit type T-shirts and haven't been able to find a good place to buy them for a reasonable price. I have been paying $20 per t-shirt and order 10 a year and am getting tired of playing that money for them so I have decided to make the change. I usually wear gray or green with Khaki shorts and tennis shoes- but thinking about buing the lawn shoes everybody is talking about. It is WAY TOO DARN hot during the summer months to even think about wearing pants and a polo. Get my shirts imprinted with a new technology at EmbroderMe.