PDA

View Full Version : Any negative comments about the Quick 36?

green-pa
06-06-2007, 02:24 PM
All I hear is positive stuff about the Quick 36 line. Is there anyone out there that has had a bad experience with one and/or DOESN"T recommend them? Also, are all 3 models good for commercial use or just the samurai or mid line unit? I'd like to get a scag but they are about $1,000 more than an entry level quick. Also about 100-200 lbs heavier at like 470 lbs right? THat's one thing I like about the Quick is that it looks like I could maneuver it easier and get into my truck bed better. I'm about 142 lbs. I'm strong, but dang, 470 lbs is a lot to handle isn't it? But then what about service? ANd how long has this "Better" been in biz?

Your Lawn First
06-06-2007, 02:27 PM
sorry bud can't help you on this one all I use is Exmark and Echo

MeadowsLawnCare
06-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeh asked this question once, and everyone always has good things to say. It really is an awsome machine, and an awsome price. The only thing that you MIGHT says is negative is they dont have the control of a dual hydro, but with the weight they are very easy to handle. Also its more difficult to demo one. I think Gary might be able to set it up for you with someone who has already purchased one. I say buy it :o

irishsoul
06-06-2007, 05:41 PM
What other products on this site do you actually have to ask for negative comments about? I doubt seriously that you'll get any! As far as service after the sale the folks at Better are second to none! They've been in business long enough to produce a superior product for a superior price with superior support --- That's long enough for me. Just buy the darn thing. Or pay more for a dual hydro if thats what you think you need --- you don't though!

paul vroom
06-06-2007, 05:44 PM
It will eventually run out of gas.

Sorry, I cannot think of anything else. My next mower will be another SAM 36" or 44". It is awesome, period.

Vikings
06-06-2007, 06:03 PM
I bought a Toro 36" with the plan to go up ramps into a truck but it was way too scary AND dangerous. I had to buy a trailer. You also have to imagine what you would do if it stopped working, my trailer is only 16" high so it is possible (I think) to push it up but never onto a truck.

I guess you could buy those buddy ramps but I wouldn't recommend normal ramps.

flathead
06-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I don't own one but have used one when my main mower was down. I really liked it and will probably buy a Quick 44 when my TTHP finally gives up.

green-pa
06-06-2007, 07:09 PM
I saw a quick 36 at a Scag dealer. It was in for service. It looks very tiny. Which could be a good thing and easy to put 1 or even 2 probably in an 8ft bed. However, it looks so small like it's not built to last like a scag perhaps. I can't say for sure cause I've never owned either. But $2,000 isn't cheap for a machine and I can't just buy one. I must make an as informed decision as possible.

Tim03
06-06-2007, 07:30 PM
I saw a quick 36 at a Scag dealer. It was in for service. It looks very tiny. Which could be a good thing and easy to put 1 or even 2 probably in an 8ft bed. However, it looks so small like it's not built to last like a scag perhaps. I can't say for sure cause I've never owned either. But $2,000 isn't cheap for a machine and I can't just buy one. I must make an as informed decision as possible.

Hi, I see you are from Indianapolis also. There is someone else that owns a Quick from Indianapolis, I just can't think of his name. I remember talking to him on here sometime last year, he seemed helpful. Perhaps he will read this and the both of you can get together.

fiveoboy01
06-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Negatives?

Single hydro(this is more personal preference than a real negative).

Not built as "heavy" as some of the other commercial walk behinds.

About all I can think of...

bohiaa
06-06-2007, 07:34 PM
I bought a Toro 36" with the plan to go up ramps into a truck but it was way too scary AND dangerous. I had to buy a trailer. You also have to imagine what you would do if it stopped working, my trailer is only 16" high so it is possible (I think) to push it up but never onto a truck.

I guess you could buy those buddy ramps but I wouldn't recommend normal ramps.

hu ???????????

mc24034
06-06-2007, 07:37 PM
GreenPa... Were you at Repower on Shadeland when you saw the Quick 36 today? If so, That was mine. Got a bad flat today and left it up there for them to put a new tire on. Its a good mower, the one thing I notice with all the reviews is that most people that are commenting seem to be using the Quick as their only walk behind. For me it is my first walkbehind so I cant compare it to anything else. Although i have to assume dual hydro is the way to go.

lifetree
06-06-2007, 08:47 PM
What other products on this site do you actually have to ask for negative comments about ? I doubt seriously that you'll get any ! ...

I agree ... I haven't heard anything negative about the Quick 36 so go ahead and get it.

GreenT
06-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Based on my 06 Samurai:

Negatives
1. Reverse is tough on your thumb (stiff lever)
2. Not the easiest to change deck height.
3. Could use more power

GreenT
06-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Based on my 06 Samurai:

Negatives
1. Reverse is tough on your thumb (stiff lever).
3. Could use more power.

GreenT
06-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Sorry for the double post, I don't know what hapened.

BTW, #3 is a joke:) . Just wanted to see if you guys are paying attention.

Plenty of juice on the Samurai.

WJW Lawn
06-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Kinda like my computer...I dont know what I'd do without my Quick. Don't have any negatives about it...its a tough cuttin green machine!

ed2hess
06-06-2007, 10:14 PM
A 32" or 36" Scagwill last almost a life time.....we run both these units and all we have to do is change out the engine when they wear out and the rest of the unit keeps going. Obviously you have to replace some parts like belts, and switches...etc. And when you get ready to sell a Scag there is an immediate market for used units.....and parts are easily available many places.
And if it falls off the back of your truck you would have a chance to get it back running....seen a Cub Tiger being rebuilt at dealer.

General Landscaping
06-06-2007, 10:15 PM
If I had to use a WB as my primary mower, I'd get a dual hydro.

The only problems with my 36 super duty are the ones inherent to any single hydro.

When you compare apples to apples, the Quick 36 is a good solid machine with customer service that's off the scale.

One thing that time will fix.... no aftermarket blades.
One good thing.... Universal belts. No funny OEM sizes.

outlaw1960
06-07-2007, 12:06 AM
A 32" or 36" Scagwill last almost a life time.....

My first walkbehind was and still is a Scag 32". bought new in '93, still use it today on a daily basis. Dang small gates in this part of the country!!!!!!

TAZ
06-07-2007, 06:04 AM
I would do as some of the others suggested and hook up mc24034 and check it out. The single hydro is not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Yes a dual hydro would be easier but unless your mowing allot of side hills it's really not that big of a deal. They convenience of infinite speed and instant reverse are really nice advantages over belt drives.

Yes the other 2 blade units are much larger and heavier than the quick. I personally like the compactness of the unit when getting into tight areas. As for the build quality the unit is build lighter that other commercial wb's. I think though they can be because they are more compact and simple. I might be wrong here but I have yet to hear of anyone complain they broke anything structural.

Pro's for the unit
1) Cut quality.
2) Simplicity of the unit and ease of maintenance.
3) Maneuverability
4) Better's customer service

IMO a few cons of the unit.
1) Reverse takes some getting used to with the thumb as mentioned before.
2) The handgrips are not the best and will come loose in hot wet conditions. There are guys that put bike grips on it. I used golf grip tape under them and problem solved.
3) As Ed brought up above is resale. I am purely speculating on this but I have to agree with him about generating interest in if the need comes to sell. This would only be because of the small presence in the market that they have.

-TAZ

BQLC
06-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Based on my 06 Samurai:

Negatives
1. Reverse is tough on your thumb (stiff lever)

this is the only down side i have with Mine

green-pa
06-07-2007, 11:45 AM
GreenPa... Were you at Repower on Shadeland when you saw the Quick 36 today? If so, That was mine. Got a bad flat today and left it up there for them to put a new tire on. Its a good mower, the one thing I notice with all the reviews is that most people that are commenting seem to be using the Quick as their only walk behind. For me it is my first walkbehind so I cant compare it to anything else. Although i have to assume dual hydro is the way to go.

Heh, that was me up there. So which Quick is that? How long does it take u to mow your lawns, like 1/6, 1/4, 1/2 acres? It looks like it would be a lot easier to maneuver than the 200lb heavier scags and others out there. How long have u had it and how many hours have u put on it. I was also wondering how long the Quick model has been out and the Better company as a whole. Until I get a trailer, the Quick might be my best bet, as it's surely much easier to get in and out of a truck bed. Have u had any other issues with it? And how is the turning on it? How about vibration?

green-pa
06-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Heh, mc24034, if u get time, I'd like to buy u a beer or something and see that Quick like and in action, when u get a new tire on it. Let me know if we could work something out.

irishsoul
06-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Just a quick note: I load and unload my pock up using two 2 by 8 planks with Home Depot ramp shoes attached. I don't need a trailer for my equipment...at least not yet. It's a breeze with the Q36.

irishsoul
06-07-2007, 12:16 PM
that's pick-up, God i need help.

mc24034
06-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Heh, that was me up there. So which Quick is that? How long does it take u to mow your lawns, like 1/6, 1/4, 1/2 acres? It looks like it would be a lot easier to maneuver than the 200lb heavier scags and others out there. How long have u had it and how many hours have u put on it. I was also wondering how long the Quick model has been out and the Better company as a whole. Until I get a trailer, the Quick might be my best bet, as it's surely much easier to get in and out of a truck bed. Have u had any other issues with it? And how is the turning on it? How about vibration?

That was the Samuari. It has 91 hours on it. I got it last September. Its so light which makes it nice getting it up into the truck bed. I dont use a trailer when i have the quick with me. Id assume it will cut your time in half from your 22 in mower u are currently using. Turning isnt to bad unless youre on a hill. The cables for forward and reverse have been a #%&^ lately. Reverse hasnt been wanting to work consistently. I need to get the owners manual out and figure out how to fix it. Youll have vibration with most machines... unless its real bad no need to worry.

Trimmer Man007
06-07-2007, 07:36 PM
A 32" or 36" Scagwill last almost a life time.....

My first walkbehind was and still is a Scag 32". bought new in '93, still use it today on a daily basis. Dang small gates in this part of the country!!!!!!
Sorry if this seems random, but finally someone from the same state as me on here! I was wondering if I was the only on for a while...

mowdog1
06-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Yeh asked this question once, and everyone always has good things to say. It really is an awsome machine, and an awsome price. The only thing that you MIGHT says is negative is they dont have the control of a dual hydro, but with the weight they are very easy to handle. Also its more difficult to demo one. I think Gary might be able to set it up for you with someone who has already purchased one. I say buy it :o

Looking to start a riot?? Don't you know your not allowed to say anything negative about Quick mowers on this site?

peter wilson
06-08-2007, 10:28 AM
I purchased a quick '36 Samurai last year. I am new to this business and wanted to find a commercial mower that would be the best product for the money. After doing a lot of studying I decided the quick '36 was the best deal. It has been a great mower for me. It does take a little effort to turn but when you consider another $1000 or so for duel hydros it is worth the extra effort. I have had some small problems with my mower, but better outdoors customer service is excellent. My clutch broke about two months ago and they sent me a new one out the same day. One other complaint which is small is the handle grips. They are always slipping off. I am going to use a golf club grip repair kit to get them to stay on. Over all I think you cant go wrong buying a quick '36. Hope this helps.

peter wilson
06-08-2007, 10:36 AM
After adjusting my cables I put tape around the adjustment nuts and have not had to touch it again.

lifetree
06-08-2007, 09:09 PM
A 32" or 36" Scag will last almost a life time ... My first walk behind was and still is a Scag 32", bought new in '93, still use it today on a daily basis ...

How many hours do you have on this machine ? Still the original engine ? Original drive system, etc. ?

mc24034
06-10-2007, 10:50 AM
After adjusting my cables I put tape around the adjustment nuts and have not had to touch it again.

Are you speaking on the forward and reverse cables? BC If so ill be doing that imidiately!! ITs driving me nuts occasionally having to put the mower in Easy Rollaround position to backup.

mak2
06-10-2007, 05:26 PM
If you have not yet bought one and want to demo a Quick 36 I live in greenwood, I would not mind a bit if you wanted togive it a test drive. I bought mine right before they cmae out with the Samuri. I have had one problem which was a loose ground wire which I could not find, so I had to take it to the shop. Quck stood behind their machine, but I did not send them the bill becasue it was my stupidity. It does cause my thumb to get sore when I forget my work gloves. I really love the machine. buy it.

green-pa
06-10-2007, 07:51 PM
If you have not yet bought one and want to demo a Quick 36 I live in greenwood, I would not mind a bit if you wanted togive it a test drive. I bought mine right before they cmae out with the Samuri. I have had one problem which was a loose ground wire which I could not find, so I had to take it to the shop. Quck stood behind their machine, but I did not send them the bill becasue it was my stupidity. It does cause my thumb to get sore when I forget my work gloves. I really love the machine. buy it.

That would be nice. PM me so we could set up a time and place to meet up.

mc24034
06-10-2007, 07:54 PM
GreenPa- If youre going to buy a Quick 36 do yourself a favor and buy the Samuari. Spend the extra money and get the 16 hp Kawasaki.

green-pa
06-10-2007, 07:59 PM
I wonder, is there any brand out there that has something near the size of the Quick in 32 or 36 sizes?

ed2hess
06-10-2007, 09:26 PM
How many hours do you have on this machine ? Still the original engine ? Original drive system, etc. ?
I got two of them with about 3000 hours and one still has the original Kaw and I have rebuilt the drive in one...about $15 for parts. These machines were overdesigned and that is good for users.

mowdog1
06-26-2007, 12:03 AM
All I hear is positive stuff about the Quick 36 line. Is there anyone out there that has had a bad experience with one and/or DOESN"T recommend them? Also, are all 3 models good for commercial use or just the samurai or mid line unit? I'd like to get a scag but they are about $1,000 more than an entry level quick. Also about 100-200 lbs heavier at like 470 lbs right? THat's one thing I like about the Quick is that it looks like I could maneuver it easier and get into my truck bed better. I'm about 142 lbs. I'm strong, but dang, 470 lbs is a lot to handle isn't it? But then what about service? ANd how long has this "Better" been in biz?

Quick 44

Pros

1. Great cut quality at any speed
2. Compact design
3. Automatic parking break
4. Easy to turn on flat or small slope areas
5. Lower price than competitors
6. Low shipping cost & no tax
7. Small company support

Negatives
1. A lot of deck blowout between the left and middle blade. I run the mulch plate so that may make the blowout worse. You tend to get covered in grass clippings.
2. Stiff reverse; makes sense though. Itís all about leverage and the thumb reverse has a shorter lever than forward thus its harder to use. Not to mention you can generate more force with 4 fingers squeezing than pushing with thumb.
3. Fairly hard to keep tracking straight across a slope. OK until you get to 10-14+ degrees
4. Cables are not adjusted correctly from factory for optimum forward/reverse; easy to correct
5. Quality assurance not up to par with larger brands
6. Doesnít stand on its own to clean under deck like the Quick36 does

Liquidfast
06-26-2007, 09:32 AM
KAWI 36 here.

I like the machine. I don't like the mohawks left behind when I use the mulch blades.

The original blades work the best.

Waayy too slow. I would have thought I could get it to go atleast 1.5 mph faster. It is a really slow machine. I am guessing that they did that to ensure it tracks straighter...who knows?

Negatives:

Too slow
Grips slip at the wrong time....like loading or going up a curb.
Reselling will be a bi*ch. I have one sitting at a local dealer for over a year.

I have to admit though, this is a really good machine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Alta Lawn Care
08-26-2007, 11:36 AM
In Vermont, clippings dispersal is very important. Mowers like the Bobcat are popular here because with these mowers clippings are nearly invisible. This eliminates the need for blowing the lawns or double cutting--severe time wasters. You pay a lot for Bobcats up here though.

Asking northern climate folks, how does the Quick 36 disperse clippings in the lawns you mow? Is the Kawi needed? Do you still need to double cut and/or blow off your lawns?

BUCKEYE MOWING
08-26-2007, 12:13 PM
I purchased a quick '36 Samurai last year. I am new to this business and wanted to find a commercial mower that would be the best product for the money. After doing a lot of studying I decided the quick '36 was the best deal. It has been a great mower for me. It does take a little effort to turn but when you consider another $1000 or so for duel hydros it is worth the extra effort. I have had some small problems with my mower, but better outdoors customer service is excellent. My clutch broke about two months ago and they sent me a new one out the same day. One other complaint which is small is the handle grips. They are always slipping off. I am going to use a golf club grip repair kit to get them to stay on. Over all I think you cant go wrong buying a quick '36. Hope this helps.

Use spray paint ...they will never slip again

BUCKEYE MOWING
08-26-2007, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE=Liquidfast;1876576]KAWI 36 here.

I like the machine. I don't like the mohawks left behind when I use the mulch blades.

The original blades work the best.

Waayy too slow. I would have thought I could get it to go atleast 1.5 mph faster. It is a really slow machine. I am guessing that they did that to ensure it tracks straighter...who knows?

Negatives:

Too slow
Grips slip at the wrong time....like loading or going up a curb.
Reselling will be a bi*ch. I have one sitting at a local dealer for over a year.

I have to admit though, this is a really good machine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.[/QUOTE

Have you maxed out the forward speed by adjusting the cables ?

causalitist
10-07-2007, 01:54 PM
the lever to go forward has too much spring tension. spring in tranny is too strong, theres a spring that assists outside the tranny, so i think i'll put a stronger one on. hand gets cramped on big lawns.

jklawns
12-25-2007, 10:54 PM
What is the fastest this mower can go

flakebortch
12-26-2007, 01:20 AM
According to the website, it can go about 5 mph. They have a calculator there to determine how long it will take to mow a given sized lawn at which mower width with X obsticals...for what it's worth. Check it out: http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/?page=Popular+Questions%5FL%2Ehtm#PQ15

BUCKEYE MOWING
12-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Play with the cables on forward and reverse and you can get it up to about 6 or 7...Trust me its plenty fast ..At full throttle its almost a jog.

Mr.Lawn
12-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Quick 36 is the only way to go I love mine!!! I have the lower end unit, it gets used everyday and hold up just fine. Where else can you call a company and speak to the owner???? These guys are great!!!!

Whitey4
12-27-2007, 12:09 AM
I've been studying the options for a 32 or 36" machine. If nothing else, one thing is a fact.... there is no one walk behind that is right for everyone.

I have a lot of gated yards, and I've measured the gates. The stockade and vinyls run 40+ inches. The very few remaining cyclone fence gates are very narrow... maybe even too narrow for a 32. This made me lean towards a 36. The commercial 21's now all seem to have steel decks. Too heavy to lift into my p/u. I have a 21, albeit a Craftsman, but it's light and I can get it into the p/u easilly. So, I had to look at ramps or a trailer.

Next, I do small properties, typically 0.2 to 0.12 acres. The occassional larger yard. Lots of obstacles... pools, walkways, decks. Manueverabilty is my biggest concern as opposed to straight line speed.

So, for me, I wanted a compact very manueverable machine. If I had to get ramps, I might as well get a small trailer. I found a 4X4 foot leftover with a loading ramp. The new BQ 32 is 7" longer than the compact 3 blade 36" machines. Somewhat less manueverable.

I will spend 40% of my cutting time turning. I wanted a machine that was light and would not bring up divots in the turf. I wanted a machine that I could maintain and repair. The more I looked, the more I was drawn to the BQ 36" Samurai. Blade speed is less of an issue, so the 17,000 vs. 18,000 blade speed isn't an issue. I'll rarely run the machine at 5mhp. The blades will have more time in the lift and cutting zone. I also wanted something that would mulch leaves....

So based on my specific needs, it looks like the Quick Samurai for me. 308 pounds, short and compact, manueverable, good solid grass catcher. Will fit in my 4X4 trailer. Easy to maintain, and Tommy at BQ told me something.... they will have at their site a full blown repair course on video. need to replace the clutch? There will be a video that brings you through it step by step.

There are negatives with 3 blade systems, but in my situation, it works well. I just didn't want the extra length of the 32. They were closed today, but I hope they aren't shut down for the entire holiday week!

Big C
12-27-2007, 01:39 AM
Talked to Gary at BOP this past Fri. 12/21/07, he said they will be shutdown until Jan. 2nd, although they will be checking emails & phone messeges as well as online orders throughout this time....hope this helps

lifetree
01-23-2008, 10:19 PM
A 32" or 36" Scagwill last almost a life time ... My first walkbehind was and still is a Scag 32". bought new in '93, still use it today on a daily basis. Dang small gates in this part of the country !!!

Dang, that's what you call dedication ... congratulations for getting your money's worth out of it !!

Chilehead
01-23-2008, 10:44 PM
A 32" or 36" Scagwill last almost a life time.....we run both these units and all we have to do is change out the engine when they wear out and the rest of the unit keeps going. Obviously you have to replace some parts like belts, and switches...etc. And when you get ready to sell a Scag there is an immediate market for used units.....and parts are easily available many places.
And if it falls off the back of your truck you would have a chance to get it back running....seen a Cub Tiger being rebuilt at dealer.

Smart move. I had my kawi rebuilt on my Exmark after 3000+ hours in 2006, and plan on doing it again when the time comes.

WJW Lawn
01-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Quick 36 is the only way to go I love mine!!! I have the lower end unit, it gets used everyday and hold up just fine. Where else can you call a company and speak to the owner???? These guys are great!!!!

I second that! Ya can't beat these guys :usflag: