PDA

View Full Version : Wild Bermuda in St. Augustine

greg1
06-06-2007, 03:55 PM
I went back in this section but couldn't find anything on wild bermuda grass in St. Augustine grass. I'm not a chemical man, is there anything to control this, slow it down, or should i start thinking about round up and new sod?

CuttingEdge,LLC
06-06-2007, 04:39 PM
I went back in this section but couldn't find anything on wild bermuda grass in St. Augustine grass. I'm not a chemical man, is there anything to control this, slow it down, or should i start thinking about round up and new sod?

i recommend round up, being there isnt really anything else out there to control bermuda grass in this state....It will always be here with all of the golf courses....you remove it, it comes back...

Ric
06-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Yo

The U of Fla recommends 4 treatments 14 days apart to totally control common Bermuda Grass. Those treatments are Roundup and Fusilade herbicides. A 1/2 oz of 41% Roundup will control St Augustine and only act as a Growth regulator on Bermuda. To my knowledge there is no chemical currently on the market to control Bermuda in St Augustine. Prograss was on the market and claimed to suppress Bermuda in St Augustine but only if applied Monthly in January to March. Prograss didn't gain much Market share and I believe is now off the Market.

Understanding Industry Terminology is import when discussing technical information. A Culivar is a man made plant by changing DNA. A Variety is a plant that occurs in nature. Golf Course Bermuda is a Culivar, Most was developed at the Research center in Tifton, Georgia and named after that town of Research center Tifway 419 is a popular Fairway and Athletic field turf. It is a culivar that can only propagated by Runners or sprigs. Wild or Common Bermuda is a variety and is propagated by Seed mostly but also by Runners or Sprigs. BTW Bermuda is also a rhizome turf and can propagate that way also. The Runners have nodes that are called Stolons and growth or propagation by runners are called stolmatic growth. BTW some Culivars of Bermuda do propagate by Seed.

Studying the Morphology (life Cycle) of Plants, insects and fungi help us to better enhance, suppress or control them. Knowing the Difference between desirable and undesirables as in Bermuda and St Augustine also helps us to Control or suppress one and enhance the other. There are diseases that will effect Bermuda and not St Augustine. But to isolate the Microbial and then inoculate it would take a microbiologist and would be irresponsible. However St Augustine expresses itself best in a 70% sun or 30% shade while Bermuda likes 100% full sun. However some Bermuda can survive under the suppressing conditions of less sun light. Here we find a difference that would allow us to suppress Bermuda while in fact enhancing St Augustine. Now figure out how economically to stretch Shade Cloth over the Area where Bermuda is a problem and still be able to both irrigate and Mow it and you have the answer of how to control or suppress Bermuda in a St Augustine lawn.

Bottom line after all the BS is Roundup and Re-sod.

greg1
06-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Thank you for the replies. And i must say to ric that i am very impressed with your knowledge and depth of input on this subject as well as other issues and for also taking the time to share your thoughts with the members of this site. Thanks

Ric
06-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Thank you for the replies. And i must say to ric that i am very impressed with your knowledge and depth of input on this subject as well as other issues and for also taking the time to share your thoughts with the members of this site. Thanks

Greg

There is an other way to look at it. How would you like to be my customer and have to listen to me elaborate about your yard. A lot more information than you need to know or really care to know. "Just do your thing on my yard Ric. you are the Expert"

ExPert: X an unknown quanity, Pert a drip under pressure.

Drake Lawn and Pest
06-09-2007, 06:27 PM
I wanted to make sure that you definitely make sure that after you replace that SOD, you make sure that you take a few easy steps to make sure you are not just fighting a uphill battle.
1. If you mow your own lawn, no worries, but if you have someone else mow it,
ask them to rinse their blades with a quick blast of water before they begin to mow your lawn.
2. If your neighbors have it, you may need to get them involved in your plans to remove it also. Bermuda is seeded, it will spread when your neighbor cuts his or her lawn.
3. Make sure the nursery you buy your SOD from is a good one. DO NOT buy it from Lowes or Home Depot. The people at those retail outlets can not tell you where they get their SOD from.
4. Hire a good company with a strong reputation for spraying the right products that will keep your lawn looking good, like my own....Drake!

South Florida Lawns
10-13-2007, 01:07 AM
I just re-did half a yad with Bermuda In it. First I treated with round up and let it sit for a week. Then took my mower and scalped the dead stuff and shot ot again with round up. A week after that I roughed up the areas and planted St. Augustine.

bug-guy
10-13-2007, 06:48 AM
has anyone tried the arm&hammer soap on this i have used it on carpet grass years ago and thought it worked on Bermuda also, this would be for own use and not commercially

Drake Lawn and Pest
10-13-2007, 11:00 AM
If you are referring to the use of Baking Soda for the killing off of Crabgrass, then the answer is NO. Crabgrass and bermuda grass are not grown in the same way. Crabgrass roots do not grow nearly as deep as Bermuda will, bermuda can grow as deep as 15 feet down. The best solution for bermuda is Round up Pro or
Razor Burn, these products are sold by professionals such as Lesco.

ampeg76
10-14-2007, 12:32 AM
If you are referring to the use of Baking Soda for the killing off of Crabgrass, then the answer is NO. Crabgrass and bermuda grass are not grown in the same way. Crabgrass roots do not grow nearly as deep as Bermuda will, bermuda can grow as deep as 15 feet down. The best solution for bermuda is Round up Pro or
Razor Burn, these products are sold by professionals such as Lesco.

i saw the spread lesco had in their newsletter magazine on your company, so cheers for pushing lesco and their overpriced products! it should serve you well!

cheers
mike

PHS
10-14-2007, 10:17 AM
How much effect will Atrazine have on actively growing Bermudarass?

bug-guy
10-14-2007, 11:16 AM
How much effect will Atrazine have on actively growing Bermudarass?

probably not much if used at label rates
pm me for the arm&hammer recipe and it's not the baking soda