PDA

View Full Version : Ep Henry vs. Techo Bloc

NewHorizon's Land
06-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Is EP Henry really that much cheaper than Techo Bloc? Called for pricing and EP Henry was around $750.00 for Cov Wall Corners and Techo was around $1400.00 for their pillar pallet. I figured Techo would be cheaper than Ep Henry.

Justin

McKeeLand
06-06-2007, 08:49 PM
When it comes to there pillars they are. how ever they vary on other things. i know that techo's DBL sided wall is much cheaper than EP Henry. its a wash though, i have priced the exact same job with techo and ep henry and there was hardly a difference in the total.

DVS Hardscaper
06-07-2007, 06:34 AM
$1400 for ONE pillar kit?

Here we pay somewhere around $450 for the pillars, plus $150 for the stonedge cap.

Dreams To Designs
06-07-2007, 07:01 AM
There is much more to this comparison other than price. The Techo-Bloc pillar kits are a bit overpriced, but the quality & finish of their product is unmistakable. Typically the pricing works out to be very similar over the entire job, but your labor. aggravation level and scrap piles will be less with Techo.

Kirk

cgland
06-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Around here Techo is probably 15-20% higher cost wise, but as Kirk said it is a better product overall. Our problem here is that people are not usually willing to pay the extra price unless they fall in love w/ a certain Techo product.

Chris

ChampionLS
06-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Why are your pillars so much money? I use regular corner blocks, and finish off with split caps, or a precast cap.

28 corner blocks at $6.80 = $190.40
5 caps at $5.55 = $27.75
1 tube adhesive = $6.75

Result = A 24" x 24" x 45" tall pillar and cap for $224.90

This is using Terrace Wall corners. You can achieve the same split face look and colors, without spending the additional cost for Coventry.

(Coventry corners are $9.55 x 28 = $267.40) and even if you use them, how do you come up with those prices?

DVS Hardscaper
06-07-2007, 06:17 PM
So what are you people paying for a Techo pillar kit and for a 28x28 Cap?

zedosix
06-07-2007, 06:37 PM
So what are you people paying for a Techo pillar kit and for a 28x28 Cap?

I just priced 4 pillars, each one 36" high x 24" wide, with the 28" cap. $3,400. Way over priced in my opinion.

mrusk
06-07-2007, 06:49 PM
I just priced 4 pillars, each one 36" high x 24" wide, with the 28" cap. $3,400. Way over priced in my opinion.

For the price of the techo pillar kit, I can sub the pillars to my mason and build masonry stone pillars. And make the same amount of money as i would if i did SRW pillars and do not acctually work.

etwman
06-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Holy cow! Were are you guys coming up with this stuff? I can build a Coventry 24" x 24" by 48" high, capped and glued for $199.36 with double sided corners. No splits, combination pillar 3/6". I can't stand split ends on pillers, drives me bazerk, but that's just me.

Either:

1. Someone's math is off.
2. Techo is just that much more expensive, we're you being serious about $1400 a kit?
3. Or our buying power is different.

Maybe I'm off, correct me if I'm wrong.

mrusk
06-07-2007, 08:03 PM
the 24"x24" techo pillar 2 feet tall cost me 300 bucks. a 4 ft pillar needs to kits so 600 bucks.

Which is alot. I see no reason to use a tech pillar. It is CHEAPER to go masonry for the pillars.

ChampionLS
06-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Holy cow! Were are you guys coming up with this stuff? I can build a Coventry 24" x 24" by 48" high, capped and glued for $199.36 with double sided corners. No splits, combination pillar 3/6". I can't stand split ends on pillers, drives me bazerk, but that's just me.

Either:

1. Someone's math is off.
2. Techo is just that much more expensive, we're you being serious about $1400 a kit?
3. Or our buying power is different.

Maybe I'm off, correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with you on that. (pricing) Pillars are friggin easy as heck to build. I usually do them on my own. They go up fast, usually one hour per pillar, including the base!. (no fixture) If adding a fixture, an hour and a half for mounting and wiring.

NewHorizon's Land
06-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Ok. Heres the job. 2 pillars at 5' above grade. Need 22 courses of 6". 3 pallets for Techo. $20.00 each block for 6" by 24" and $9.75 each block for 3" by 24". Pillars will have 4 courses of 3" each intermixed in the pillar(more than likely 6" 3" 6" and so on). Ep Henry $8.95 each block for 6" Cov Wall Corners and $5.50 each block for 3" Cov Wall Corners.

I have the job cuz I am building this at my house. Kirk and Chris--- Why do you say Techo is a better product? To me Techo looks cheap.

Justin

Dreams To Designs
06-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Justin, Techo is built to a greater pressure, it is the only paver on the market that has a lifetime guarantee against deicing salt, the colors are more consistent through the line, the materials is not tumbled, but chained whipped in a patented process and tolerance are checked by laser on every layer, block or paver. I find it much easier to construct with, especially with teaching new installers as it is more true to size. Your scrap pile will be smaller as to the material you cull from your work due to imperfections, but it is no means perfect.

Ep Henry makes some good product, but their quality control needs a lot to be desired. I see EP Henry product all over that seems to have an exposed aggregate finish, not what most clients are looking for in a paver finish. EP does an amazing job of marketing to consumers and a great job of educating installers.

If you do not like the look, go with what you like or you will never be happy. The Mini-Creta plus, 3" & 6" wall combination is beautiful, and the Quarry Stone has little competition in the look.

Are you basing your decision on the catalog or have you been able to see the product in a display or on a job.

Kirk

NewHorizon's Land
06-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Techo = display at the distributor. EP = I will look at tomorrow or Saturday at the distributor.

Justin

DVS Hardscaper
06-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Justin, Techo is built to a greater pressure, it is the only paver on the market that has a lifetime guarantee against deicing salt, the colors are more consistent through the line, the materials is not tumbled, but chained whipped in a patented process and tolerance are checked by laser on every layer, block or paver. I find it much easier to construct with, especially with teaching new installers as it is more true to size. Your scrap pile will be smaller as to the material you cull from your work due to imperfections, but it is no means perfect.

If you do not like the look, go with what you like or you will never be happy. The Mini-Creta plus, 3" & 6" wall combination is beautiful, and the Quarry Stone has little competition in the look.

Kirk

We use techo 70% of the time.

But I do not agree with all that they attempt to brainwash....errr, i mean preach!

We been installing pavers for 11 years. Been using Techo for 3 years. Techo has only been available in our area for 3 years. prior to that, we used pavers that do not have the FANTASTIC density rating as TECHO does. And you know what?! We have not had any problems :dancing: All this super dooper looper density rating means to me is - our diamond blades WILL wear out faster :dancing:

Our waste pile is no different from brand to brand. So brand "C" has a bad paver? We just use that bad paver for where a cut is necessary, cutting the good and scrapping the bad. If it was a good paver, we'd still have the exact same piece of scrap from that cut!

Many pavers now-a-days are checked with laser. If I'm not mistaken, the new Nicolock plant in MD uses laser to check their pavers. And so what, if their not all the same thickness? Ever install clay pavers? Clay pavers are all kinds of different thicknesses. But after a nice tamping......the surface is as perfect as the person tamping makes it :)

We use techo because I like the company and I like the products they offer.

thunderboltbangs1
04-26-2014, 08:33 AM
At the time this entry was started I don't believe the Imperial pavers were available yet. Imperial Pavers by EP Henry seen here http://www.ep-henry.com have the best prices in comparison. The color does not run all the way through the paver but you can always stain down the road.

The Techo bloc is marked as a paving gem. It has a few more rounded styles but in my opinion the Bristol stone by ep henry looks much better.

Also do not forget to try Diamond pro by New Holland as I found they are the best priced retaining wall block.

DVS Hardscaper
04-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Taco-blocs colors suck.

Yesterday on Taco's Facebook page they had their weekly featured job. The job itself is very nice. But man oh man the Hardscape product's colors are so gloomy and dull in color. The gloomy color ruined the nice job.

A few days prior Taco-bloc had an ad showing how they have a product for nearly everything, from facade for the house to a driveway to a planter. Beautiful house. Nice landscape. But the Taco-bloc colors were just so depressing looking...
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
04-26-2014, 03:31 PM
With my discount using the "pillar" block from Techo, it will cost me 394 plus tax. Cap is 150 plus tax.

That is over 600 with taxes to make one 36" x 28" x 28" pillar.