PDA

View Full Version : A southern thing?

flathead
06-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Living in the south all my life, i am used to seeing pinestraw in bed areas way more often than mulch, but when i travel, all i see is mulch. In SC, I'll bet you could stop off every exit on I-20 between Florence and Lugoff and not see more than one or two houses with mulch. But if you get north of Virginia, you can't find more than one or two houses with pinestraw.
Do they not sell it up there?

nick-bigfootlawn
06-06-2007, 07:02 PM
They do, before I got into this business I had no idea that it was sold. Now that I know about it, I do see it at the mulch wholesaler I buy from.

Capemay Eagle
06-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Here in south Jersey Dark black Mulch dominates the market. I don't think that anyone here would ever even consider pine straw mulch. I don't think that I have ever even seen it here period. The only place I have ever seen this is down is GA. I guess they soak the needles in oil??. It's a great idea, it just would not be much sought after here.

Lawnworks
06-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Yeah it is definately a southern thing. I probably do 5000 bales a year and only a 100 yards of mulch a year. Be sure not to post any landscaping pics w/ pine straw in it on this site... you will get flamed by the yanks!! :)

Tadams
06-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Yeah it is definately a southern thing. I probably do 5000 bales a year and only a 100 yards of mulch a year. Be sure not to post any landscaping pics w/ pine straw in it on this site... you will get flamed by the yanks!! :)

We might get flamed for putting the pinestraw down, but it sure does look good when it is put down right! Some people would change their minds about it if they knew how easy it was to put down.

tjsquickcuts
06-07-2007, 12:44 AM
We might get flamed for putting the pinestraw down, but it sure does look good when it is put down right! Some people would change their minds about it if they knew how easy it was to put down.

I agree about how easy it is to put down. I NOW(because of Gas and wildfires) pay $2.95 per Bale, and charge $7 bucks to install. No bed edging, and now cleaning out the leaves, shrub trimmings, etc. Not to mention, its a common practice to put it down in the fall after all the leaves are down, and again late spring. We put down 115 Bales today spread out over 3 homes and a back hill. Six guys, and we knocked it out in about a little under a hours, Hedges trimmed, and 3 trees planted. So all and all, a pretty good day even though we skipped 13 out of 40 homes because of slow or no growth.

barefootlawnsandlandscape
06-07-2007, 10:17 AM
I think it is a southeast think. You don't see it in Arkansas either. The only property that has it around here is a huge new mall, but the company that did it is Visionscpaes out of Georgia. I have heard a lot of comments from people that don't like it. Chocolate Brown mulch is the big product around here.

flathead
06-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I have shoveled mulch and spread straw, and i must say I would rather spread straw any day! It is much easier on this aging back, lol.

Capemay Eagle
06-07-2007, 04:21 PM
you will get flamed by the yanks!! :)

I disagree. I think every part of the country has it's thing. Here in Jersey mulch trends have changed over the years. Thick cut bark mulch was popular for awhile, then it was the bright orange and red mulch. Now black mulch is just the norm. I bet if someone was to put down the pine straw mulch, it would be very popular in no time. It's seems around here if someone does something different, everyone wants to do the same thing..They feel like they are being left out..

BlueShieldLawnCare
06-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Mulch is getting much more popular around the Charleston area. The problem with pinestraw is you get redbugs, and from personal experience, they suck! Red mulch is very popular, and now the dark brown is getting popular, as well.

Harley-D
06-13-2007, 04:15 PM
The line is actually between richmond and fredericksburg, va. richmond=straw
fred.=mulch
worked in rich, now work in fred

steve in Pa.
06-13-2007, 11:02 PM
we had a customer request pine straw mulch in central Pa. which is un heard of. around here everything is triple ground bark mulch. we installed it and it looked great and was easy as hell to install versus bark mulch. its gotta be the only house in central pa. with pine straw. nobody ever heard of the stuff around here.

cpel2004
06-13-2007, 11:31 PM
No the black mulch I think looks a hell of alot better than the red dyed mulch that is used down here. How is the black mulch made?

Brothersinlawn
06-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Hey tjsquickcuts
Where do you get your pine straw from. I can't find a wholesaler here in Atlanta that doesn't want you to buy a semi full. Thanks

cgaengineer
06-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Hey tjsquickcuts
Where do you get your pine straw from. I can't find a wholesaler here in Atlanta that doesn't want you to buy a semi full. Thanks

How far from Atlanta do you want to drive? There is a place on Hwy 20 in Cumming near the river that sells it...I also know a place down the road from my house that has a ton of it and my neighbor purchased 100 bales from them.

David Hartzog
06-15-2007, 11:02 AM
i put out both pine straw and red mulch here in Bama. more pine straw, though. mulch draws bugs...the big roaches...some of the half-backs dont like those bugs. commercial accounts usually ask for mulch first.

Brothersinlawn
06-15-2007, 01:02 PM
I would like to find a place that is in Atlanta. I live and mow in the NW near Marietta and 285. Cumming is a little further than I would like to travel with gas prices as they are.