PDA

View Full Version : anti-social LCO's (poll)

Grass Cake
06-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Seems all the local cutters have very little to say when i see them fueling or getting lunch.

WTF? I know it's not my breath/BO because i'm not standing that close.

Flipperneck
06-06-2007, 06:45 PM
You joined the wrong club if you are looking for a social scene... I could care less to meet and greet anyone who is not an associate, customer, etc...

Grass Cake
06-06-2007, 07:05 PM
You joined the wrong club if you are looking for a social scene

Big difference between shaking hands/saying hello and being socially engaged.:)

club? that could be the problem...i haven't joined any "club":laugh:

I think i've met you.

dKoester
06-06-2007, 07:19 PM
I see those kind of people all the time and those people are the jealous type. Thats right don't look over at our crew but you know you want to.:cool2:

KTO Enterprises
06-06-2007, 08:09 PM
You joined the wrong club if you are looking for a social scene... I could care less to meet and greet anyone who is not an associate, customer, etc...

Why would you want to act like a fool to all the other LCOS in your area. Im friends with most of the solo guys around here, heck most of us have lunch at leas once a week. Acting like a jerk to competition will get a lot of your work stolen.

Lynden-Jeff
06-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Always a smile and a wave.

Cheers

topsites
06-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Please understand it gets tougher every year, after 5-8 years the good customers are right few and far between. Maybe 1 out of every 10-20 calls or so turns out, the rest is all a comedy, and no offense but I assume so is the walk-up dude, given the odds are in favor.

Why would someone walk up to me out of the blue?
They don't know me, we've never met in our whole lives, what is it that attracts them?

Because it's never just Hi and a handshake, that's wishful thinking.
More like what's next, they all have at least one question, some is downright personal (like 'where do you get most of your business?') or worse yet they want to start trading... I've had some ask me if I had any spare work, you know, just send some free customers on over.

It got to the point, someone comes up and says "HI!!!" all cheerful like wanna shake hands, I just say:
What do you want?
They're stunned, they stand there like uhhhnnnn....
I repeat myself "what is it, cut to the chase, skip the bs, what is it you want?
But it never works, I don't understand it, maybe you folks don't know this but I know they want something.
Otherwise, why would someone come up to me?
Yes, why even say hi, why go through the trouble?
So no, no, it doesn't work, gotta play the stupid little fiddle farting game, beat around the bush "hi" hello whats your name nice day uh huh blablablabla and bs and eventually finally they spit it out...
Whatever it is, it always comes out, sooner or later, and they all want something (for free, of course).

Way I see things, I don't ask them how their wife is in bed, thou maybe I should, and then I ought to ask if I can verify that, because that's how personal that crap is, to me.

I guess I could tolerate some thing like "How high are your blades?" but even that is a secret of sorts, really they're as high as I like them, thanks.

We just get like that, maybe if you last more than 5-8 years you see it, too.
Then again maybe not, maybe you never see it.

If it makes you feel any better, I treat most folks who walk up to me like that, myob.

dKoester
06-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Topsites, work on your mulching skills. I went to your website. Is that what your jobs look like after they are finished. I'd take them(pictures) off and replace them with some better quality.

DLAWNS
06-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Thats ridiculous, just today, I went up to another LCO that happens to live a few blocks down from me. Just to shoot the s***. I had a little extra time so why not. I wasn't looking to get anything for free or find out about his wife. It just works out for the best, now I know him, he knows me and maybe we could help each other out. He is in a bind and needs some trimmer string, or I might need to borrow a wrench that I don't have to fix something. I'm not going to approach every lawn guy I see but if its someone I see regularly, why not. A few weeks back I was cutting, doin my thing and the owner of what I thought was a competitor lawn company asked me for some cards b/c he wasn't takin on any new work. A little mutual respect is not a bad thing.

KTO Enterprises
06-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Thats ridiculous, just today, I went up to another LCO that happens to live a few blocks down from me. Just to shoot the s***. I had a little extra time so why not. I wasn't looking to get anything for free or find out about his wife. It just works out for the best, now I know him, he knows me and maybe we could help each other out. He is in a bind and needs some trimmer string, or I might need to borrow a wrench that I don't have to fix something. I'm not going to approach every lawn guy I see but if its someone I see regularly, why not. A few weeks back I was cutting, doin my thing and the owner of what I thought was a competitor lawn company asked me for some cards b/c he wasn't takin on any new work. A little mutual respect is not a bad thing.

:clapping: Well said. Sometimes your competition can be your best advertizement. Not every company is out to get you. I have one of the largest companies in my county send me work, and its not crap work or PITA customers, but good quality lawns. he throws me a bone every now and then because he knows Im not trying to lowball him and steal his work.

i have also done over 10,000 worth of bush hogging for him already this year. All because last year I stopped and introduced myself to him at a gas station.

Grass Cake
06-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Please understand it gets tougher every year, after 5-8 years the good customers are right few and far between. Maybe 1 out of every 10-20 calls or so turns out, the rest is all a comedy, and no offense but I assume so is the walk-up dude, given the odds are in favor.

lost me here.....walk-up dude? Yea i usually walk up to them.

They don't know me, we've never met in our whole lives, what is it that attracts them?

Duh...your both cutters? I'm not attracted to anything particular,might be there truck
mower,trailer etc.

More like what's next, they all have at least one question, some is downright personal (like 'where do you get most of your business?') or worse yet they want to start trading... I've had some ask me if I had any spare work, you know, just send some free customers on over.

Shruggs shoulders. Trading? could be a good deal
for the both of you,who knows.

It got to the point, someone comes up and says "HI!!!" all cheerful like wanna shake hands, I just say:
What do you want?
I repeat myself "what is it, cut to the chase, skip the bs, what is it you want?
But it never works, I don't understand it, maybe you folks don't know this but I know they want something.
So no, no, it doesn't work, gotta play the stupid little fiddle farting game, beat around the bush "hi" hello whats your name nice day uh huh blablablabla and bs and eventually finally they spit it out...
Whatever it is, it always comes out, sooner or later, and they all want something (for free, of course).

Way I see things, I don't ask them how their wife is in bed, thou maybe I should, and then I ought to ask if I can verify that, because that's how personal that crap is, to me.

Good Gawd...your paranoid. How's your wife in bed? That's not something i ask the best of friends,dunno how you compare that to Lawn Service.

I guess I could tolerate some thing like "How high are your blades?" but even that is a secret of sorts, really they're as high as I like them, thanks.

How high are your blades? and your worried about losing business to this goof?

This seems like a backdoor insult. Patience grasshopper,you too can be an a-hole in due time.

If it makes you feel any better, I treat most folks who walk up to me like that, myob.

Thanks for your attempt to comfort me.:rolleyes:

I'm still a stranger on the internet....yet you posted
a VERY lengthy reply to a simple question. Go figure.:dizzy:

fiveoboy01
06-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Well, in my town I have a relationship with 2 different types of LCOs...

A) The friendly ones who have always waved at me, and I have had a chance to speak with them, and they're nice guys. We exchange ideas but I haven't had any offer me work, nor have I(or would I) given any work to them. Though they're competitors, I see them as good guys.

B) The ones who give me a dirty look and gawk at me. I don't speak to them, and don't care to. I don't give dirty looks back, I just go about my business.

So if someone approached me, and had a bunch of questions, fine, I will discuss things. As long as they are friendly and I don't get a bad vibe. There are some questions that will set off alarms in my head. Things I will not answer:

How many accounts do you have?
ANY discussion of pricing
How long I've been in business(though that would be easy enough to find out)
Where my business is located out of(aside from the town, that's all they need to know)

And other specific pokey questions.

I don't have a problem discussing technique, mowing height, etc...

Lohse's Lawn Service
06-06-2007, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't worry about them if they are anti-social. I see nothing wrong with saying hello or even carrying on conversation with the competition. This isn't sports. I always look to wave at competition as we drive by or vice-versa. It's a friendly gesture as I see it.

Lohse's Lawn Service
06-06-2007, 09:23 PM

What do you want?

I don't understand. Why so bitter? I bet if you could re-post your thoughts, you'd answer differently. Can we not conduct ourselves in a professional manner? I hope you don't act this way to your customers!

txgrassguy
06-06-2007, 09:32 PM
After working 13 hour days, 6 days a week for the last two months - the only thing I'm shaking hands with is a cold beer!
Them boys want to say hello or whatever that's fine but I am not going to go out of my way to meet and greet them.
Once a month the local builders association has a mixer as does the local chamber of commerce. I have yet to see another irrigation/landscape/grounds maintenance business attend.
Attendance at mixers is a good way to network and unwind a bit on some one else's dollar - I just don't have the time too at a fuel stop.

Flipperneck
06-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Don't get me wrong. If someone nods... cool... right back atcha! I just prefer to be left alone for the sole reason that people are either A. up to something or want something from you. or B. Are going to say something completely ignorant or annoying to me and honestly I don't have the time or desire to think about what you are saying so even if you do come up to me chances are you are getting a blank smile and a yeah sure ok that yup great holdup I think I left the mower running no the other one its across town.

meets1
06-06-2007, 10:30 PM
To a point I agree with topsites. Different area, parts of the world ect. I sub out and sub for another landscape biz that brings work to me and I to him but there are other crews that don't wave, want to look but wait till your past and I really don't care. When you do meet these guys at the dump, the gas station, all friendly, asking how I like the Toro's, what kind of handheld am I using and ask what were charging now days - I have no time for. Wasted my 5 minutes or 1/2 hour of trying to get a point across while they beat around the bush wondering in there heads what they can say to get more info.

Guys - to me Information is my most valuable assest! I/m not talking!

clcare2
06-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Any legit operator gets a nod or a wave.

All scrubs are ignored.

And I don't have time to talk to anyone.

Babbages01
06-06-2007, 11:35 PM
I nod or wave when someone does it to me first. Usually it's a bunch of guys loaded up in a truck with a big rig behind them but all the people driving around with mowers in the back of their trucks usually gives me a dirty look, including the guy that mows my neighbor's yard.

I was at my parent's house yesterday doing something on my trailer and their neighbor came up to me. Apparently he mows a few places and yeup, most likely completely uninsured and that whole bit. He asked me how much I would mow my parent's yard for and I told him. With the look on his face I thought his head was going to explode.

alwaysgreenirrigation
06-06-2007, 11:37 PM
some of you guys seem all uptight and cynical. Wow!! I guess growing up in a smaller rural community taught me to be friendly. Dont get me wrong. When I am working I will wave and say hi, but I dont have time to chit chat much either. I eat on the go and don't take any breaks until done at the end of the day. I cut in Rochester MN, a community of about 100,000 ( I live in the country about 20 miles away). There seems to be several dozen if not more LCO's running around this city. I wave at them all. I am just a friendly guy. When I find LCO's that dont wave back, I will make sure to wave at them everytime. I do this business as a second business, and sometimes think that LCO's that do it full time look at me as a scrub or that I dont deserve to be out there . I like to network with the others and find out why some are going the way of the super stores. Meaning some LCO's seem to think they want to bid super low and just try to make money on the sheer volume. It is the same as the big super stores...walmart, super target, ect.....lots of cheap things.....but no customer service!!!!!!! I am good friends with a couple other LCO's and we cut each others clients if one of us has to leave town (vacation) ect.....

alwaysgreenirrigation
06-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Grass cake you said it best about attitudes such as topsites!!! Life is to short to go around all angry and cynical and defensive :usflag:

GreenT
06-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Can we just get along?

Wow, some guys here must have been hurt real bad in the past, all that hostility, all that pent-up anger, hummm. I think therapy may be required.

I've noticed this bunker mentality in a number of people in this site. Its almost like this attitude of them against the world.

These are the same guys that always have PITA customers, or lose accounts to a lowballers, or trash a particular mower brand for no real valid reason. Some won't even tell where they are at= Location: somewhere USA. Maybe they think if we know where they are we might steal some of their customers!

Are you guys that insecure?

Are your social skills so lacking?

You "talk" to total strangers here all the time yet, god forbid you come across a "real person" in the street. OMG they might say something to you and worst of all, they'll probably expect a response from you!

In case it is not clear to some, the whole idea of sites like these is to share information / knowledge / experiences so we can ALL learn and be better professionals. I don't see what is the difference out in the real world. If someone asks you something that is not appropiate or none of their business, just tell them.

Anyway, this world could sure use more friendly, respectful people. Wave, chit-chat if you have the time, who knows you might meet someone cool and maybe make a friend.

I'm going to bed now. Everybody have a great day tomorrow and if you see me around, please feel free to talk to me.

alwaysgreenirrigation
06-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Green tea you said it all...

flathead
06-07-2007, 01:34 PM
I am a strong believer in networking. It is a good way to find subs, as well as a good way to get work they may not have time for. Not to mention you can warn each other about problem customers.

KTO Enterprises
06-07-2007, 01:35 PM
I am a strong believer in networking. It is a good way to find subs, as well as a good way to get work they may not have time for. Not to mention you can warn each other about problem customers.

Hey flathead, If I was closer to florence we could network.LOL
ever watch the racin at FMS?

nobagger
06-07-2007, 01:45 PM
I think its a whole different ball game when owners are out and b.s.ing. Ive made a ton of new contacts and even got a few nice jobs by getting to know these guys! I personally think employee's could care less whats going on in the everyday soap opera's of lawn care. I dont really talk to other company's employee's other than "whats up".

flathead
06-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Hey flathead, If I was closer to florence we could network.LOL
ever watch the racin at FMS?

I run out of fingers and toes before i can count up high enough to tally the times I have been there, lol. I also used to go to Sumter waaaaaaay back when it had a dirt track. I had a buddy whose dad raced there in the early to mid 80's.
Do you know any of the guys who race at FMS?

KTO Enterprises
06-07-2007, 03:13 PM
I run out of fingers and toes before i can count up high enough to tally the times I have been there, lol. I also used to go to Sumter waaaaaaay back when it had a dirt track. I had a buddy whose dad raced there in the early to mid 80's.
Do you know any of the guys who race at FMS?

Well I have raced there a couple of times. Im friends with Danny Johnson who ran the 4 cylinder class and raced latemodels at sumter long time ago. his number was 29. I run the 4 cylinder division and legends cars.www.kevinobrienracing.com

flathead
06-07-2007, 03:18 PM
I know Danny Minnehan pretty well who runs at FMS, but not many others. I do know the Locklairs are pretty hard to beat. At least they were when I had enough time to actually go.
I have a few friends in your area and down by Hilton Head. I also have some relatives in the Myrtle Beach area.

GSPHUNTER
06-07-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm sure alot of guys would look at me as a scrub, as someone has mentioned. I drive an '01 2500 Duramax, pull a 16 ft trailer, have a 36" Toro w/b, and a cheap crapsman 21" mower.

I see the bigger guys sneer at me all the time. Either they forgot their start or they are working for someone and didn't have to start from scratch.

Oh well.

LindblomRJ
06-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Depends. I will usually wave.

Grass cake Topsites can't give a short sweet answer to anything. Its seems to be a way of life for him.

I don't have time to worry about the other guy. I do my thing.

Richard Martin
06-08-2007, 04:29 AM
I'm still a stranger on the internet....yet you posted
a VERY lengthy reply to a simple question. Go figure.:dizzy:

Most of his posts are TLDR anyway.

Richard Martin
06-08-2007, 04:32 AM

My thoughts exactly.