PDA

View Full Version : Customer who won't pay

tamo
06-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Have a customer who hasn't paid up yet -- I should've know this lady was crazy from the get go.

Here's what's happened. Lady called and wanted me to seed parts of her front and backyards, barkdust the beds and remove the current bed of lava right next to the driveway and tear it out cause she always hits in when she backs out of the driveway. Then she wanted a new rockway next to the drive. I should have just suggested driving lessons.

I quoted her $390.00 for the seeding/barkdusting and ballparked $200 for the rock work. I showed her several types of rock and she settled on flagstone. Finished everything up and it looked great. Even before I invoiced her she sent a check for $200 and said everything was great.

Couple of days later I get an email that now she's not happy with the rock because she backed over it and a stone cracked. She also said that she didn't like the way it was laid and her husband had to fix it. She said she wanted me to take that into consideration when I send the bill. I wrote back that I was sorry about her displeasure, but she picked the rock and I would have been happy to fix any problems if she told me (not to mention I showed her exactly what I was going to do)

I invoiced her over a month ago. ($590.00 -- the cheapest price I could give her) I haven't received payment and she won't respond to phone and email messages.

how have you guys delt with situations like these. I'm thinking about going back and at least getting the stone back. Would that be considered theft? The way I see it until she pays me for them they're still mine.

any input would be great.

thanks, john

lifetree
06-06-2007, 08:36 PM
You need to take progressive collection action ... if necessary, refer her to a collection agency and/or file suit in small claims court. However, what you shouldn't do is go back and try to re-claim the materials ... technically, it would be trespassing because you don't have her permission to be on her property AND you're right, it would be theft !! Musch better off following the collection action which I suggested.

KTO Enterprises
06-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Park your truck and trailer in front of her driveway early one morning. That will get her attention

WJW Lawn
06-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Park your truck and trailer in front of her driveway early one morning. That will get her attention

hahaha Now I like that! Thats how we roll in the south.

bohiaa
06-06-2007, 10:43 PM
have an attorney send her a letter...........with an invoice, with interest. with late fee's, with attornies fees.....

MeadowsLawnCare
06-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Here is a way to deal with people that are stupid. You send them a registered letter stating if they dont pay in full by xxx date that you will be forced to file a claim with an attorney/court. They get that registerd letter and they HAVE to sign for it so you know they have a copy, then they think its important because they have to sign for it. It might just scare her into paying.

CustomKare
06-07-2007, 01:09 AM
Here in Chicago no pays for grass.......no problem. First snowfall they get plowed in right behind thier car. Imagine digging that out when you are late for work!!!!!:laugh:

Lawn Enforcer
06-07-2007, 12:59 PM
I had a customer stiff me on paying once. Avoided me for over a month. I finally caught her outside one day. I gave her a bill, even though I sent one to her before, she said it must have gotten lost at the post office. I told her just give me my check and I'll be on my way. She did write a check and she said, I'll call you if I need you next year. I responded that you shouldn't even bother calling me again, because their is no way I am doing any work for you, and I also told her I don't think it is right to not pay up when somebody has done the work you asked them to do, on time too. My new policy is one month and no pay, I go up to their door, demand my money and cancel their service, and never do work for them again.

BFLL
06-07-2007, 01:18 PM
[/QUOTE]Even before I invoiced her she sent a check for $200 and said everything was great.

I invoiced her over a month ago. ($590.00 -- the cheapest price I could give her) I haven't received payment[/QUOTE]

Why did you bill her $590.00 when you said she gave you $200.00 before you even invoiced her?

Maybe she got mad because your trying to charge her twice.

tamo
06-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Even before I invoiced her she sent a check for $200 and said everything was great.

I invoiced her over a month ago. ($590.00 -- the cheapest price I could give her) I haven't received payment[/QUOTE]

Why did you bill her $590.00 when you said she gave you $200.00 before you even invoiced her?

Maybe she got mad because your trying to charge her twice.[/QUOTE]

i credited her with having paid the $200.00. The itemized bill showed that the total came out to $590.00. I let her know she owed $390