PDA

View Full Version : Solo Guys Yearly Income?

SomervilleLawncare
06-06-2007, 08:21 PM
This might be a personal question for some people, but I was wondering how much some of the solo guys on here make a year mowing?

I'm going to try and start up next year because the teaching market is horrible here in Michigan and I cant find a job. The job I'm working now only pays me about $22,000 a year so if I can make around that starting out I would be ok. Just wondering if thats an attainable number my first year, and also how much some of you seasoned guys can make?

KTO Enterprises
06-06-2007, 08:23 PM
look to have to live on savings the first couple of years if you quit work and go at it full time. Probably going to lose money.

Bigray
06-06-2007, 09:20 PM
currently on track to gross 50k this year should net 50% or so 3years of records would confirm this.

snowjeep
06-06-2007, 10:11 PM
This is my second year but I started late last year. With side jobs and mowing I will be around 18,000 for 7 months and another 5,000 for snow plowing. I am not going balls out, growing as I get comfortable with everything. The one thing is my wife supported us the first 6 months.

David Hartzog
06-06-2007, 10:27 PM
45,000 +-
this message to short

bigbear
06-06-2007, 10:53 PM
it seems like a lot of you solo guys just aint tryin hard enough i made 70k last year (2nd) and should make around 90k this(if we get snow)he key to makin money is to not just mow grass its to do it all. i have my home improvement license and my commercial app easy and worth the money. An example is the other day i was at this old laDYS HOUSE SEH CAME OUT WANTED TO KNOW IF I KNEW A PLUMBER I SAY WHATS THE PROBLEM SHE SAYAS THE TOILET wont sto[p running in the downstairs i take 2 min to look in the tank. tell if she can wait 5 days ill get vthe part fix it when i come back to mow cha ching, door knob need fixed cha ching cabinet knob fell off well you get the idea. also i do back yard land scapes in winter and then just plant in spring, and build gazebos in winter too.

Adam3669
06-07-2007, 10:16 PM
My brother and his partner (both 22) are projected to gross about 80k this season. (together)

Grits
06-07-2007, 10:28 PM
I happened today to check my profit/loss statement from last month and I grossed over $7000.

KTO Enterprises
06-07-2007, 10:30 PM
I grossed 2,000 in 3 days this week, But a lot of that is on the tractor.

fiveoboy01
06-07-2007, 10:35 PM
I happened today to check my profit/loss statement from last month and I grossed over $7000.

Grits, you've come a long way since you started. I'm not grossing that, not even close lol.

Congrats to you:)

KTO Enterprises
06-07-2007, 10:43 PM
That is a damn good income for lawn care!

fiveoboy01
06-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Yeah, it is but I think Grits does more than just weekly mowing.

Sod installs, mulch, etc... Where the green is at.

topsites
06-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Not so good this year, probably mid-to-upper 20's gross, hope to get my 12k take home, make the Z payments and pay the bills, other than that it's fuel...

Last year was 37k gross, the year before 32k...
My first year 10k gross...

I learned fast, well it took a few beatings, but I did learn to put money aside during the good times, and what I couldn't resist from spending, I spent it on spare parts to stock up.

Much like what was said, more than a few of us rely on savings during slow or rough years, at least the first year would be no exception, unless you get some help financially, it is always savings get most of us through. That, and spare parts, bulk orders tend to get some discounts, wise shopping around the rest, and live on a shoe string.

It's not as easy as it looks, but I do have some spare hip boots, should that become a need.

KS_Grasscutter
06-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Not so good this year, probably mid-to-upper 20's gross, hope to get my 12k take home, make the Z payments and pay the bills, other than that it's fuel...

Last year was 37k gross, the year before 32k...
My first year 10k gross...

I learned fast, well it took a few beatings, but I did learn to put money aside during the good times, and what I couldn't resist from spending, I spent it on spare parts to stock up.

Much like what was said, more than a few of us rely on savings during slow or rough years, at least the first year would be no exception, unless you get some help financially, it is always savings get most of us through. That, and spare parts, bulk orders tend to get some discounts, wise shopping around the rest, and live on a shoe string.

It's not as easy as it looks, but I do have some spare hip boots, should that become a need.

Why the drop in income this year? Sorry to hear that. I am gonna do OK this year I guess, get my payments made, and be able to put just a little back into savings. Will be MUCH MUCH better off when my ZTR and my work truck are paid off. I REALLY need to cut costs and get better about saving money. Good luck!

ECS
06-08-2007, 08:29 AM
it seems like a lot of you solo guys just aint tryin hard enough i made 70k last year (2nd) and should make around 90k this(if we get snow)he key to makin money is to not just mow grass its to do it all. i have my home improvement license and my commercial app easy and worth the money. An example is the other day i was at this old laDYS HOUSE SEH CAME OUT WANTED TO KNOW IF I KNEW A PLUMBER I SAY WHATS THE PROBLEM SHE SAYAS THE TOILET wont sto[p running in the downstairs i take 2 min to look in the tank. tell if she can wait 5 days ill get vthe part fix it when i come back to mow cha ching, door knob need fixed cha ching cabinet knob fell off well you get the idea. also i do back yard land scapes in winter and then just plant in spring, and build gazebos in winter too.
I couldn't agree more. There is so much extra work out there that it is not even funny.

This year on lawns I will gross about 33k. With all the other things I also do, mainly in the winter, I will gross over 100k this year.

Sandgropher
06-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Sommerville, its a bit hard to tell what you might make, i do know a lot of folks struggle with the first and sometimes second year, hopefully you have put a few thousand dollars away and this will get you past the early stages.

Poncho25
06-08-2007, 11:21 PM
This is the end of my 1st year comming up in July, so up until now I have grossed around 50k. Alot of the work I got that boosted my $ was a few mulch jobs, 2 landscape designs and installs and I hope to get a SOD job this month, already put in the bid and just waiting to hear back from the client. And I also have another mulch job to bid, should be my biggest one yet, think its going to be over 10 yards. Haven't taken the measurements yet.
But....I hardly made anything in pocket :) Most of the money was used to pay off all the brand new equipt I had to get :) hell i am still paying some of it off. the rest i just handed over to the wife who is beyond supportive and thank god she makes good $$$...

But I do think so far I will make less this year as I dropped alot of PITA's from my 1st year. I was at one point up to 32 accounts, I am now at 19 yearly contracted accounts. I know I got alot of calls in July and Aug last year, and I am hopping that happens again for me, even if its just temp work, that will help me for the winter time when its still cutting but very slow and no new clients.

sildoc
06-08-2007, 11:56 PM
This is interesting. Every one is talking gross. Gross is great. Walmart grossed Well over billions of dollars last year. Do you think that is what they made?
No Net is the figure.
I grossed over 90 g's last year solo but only netted 13000. that said my cell phone, truck and other misc items were written off.
This year I hired a part timer 2 days a week and only work 4 days a week myself and have already grossed over 50. The month of march and may grossed over 12 each. However, I had to buy a couple of new mowers and a bunch of other misc. you can talk gross all you want but if you can net 10-30% your gross you are doing pretty well. Think fuel. I spend well over a grand a month just in fuel for vehicles and equiptment.

ECS
06-09-2007, 01:10 AM
Heck sildoc, I have only spent $1301.46 in fuel this year total. That is my truck, my wife's JEEP and the mowing. That is also the fuel for plowin in Jan & Feb. and gas/fuel for personal use.

sildoc
06-09-2007, 02:33 AM
Heck sildoc, I have only spent $1301.46 in fuel this year total. That is my truck, my wife's JEEP and the mowing. That is also the fuel for plowin in Jan & Feb. and gas/fuel for personal use.

Must be nice. but heck at 3.34 a gallon for reg unleaded it costs me a min of 100 bucks to fill my truck and that usually only lasts a week, if I am lucky. add my personal/ 2nd work truck at 2.97 for diesel and 90 to fill a week and 20-30 gallons of fuel for machines a week and we are talking some solid cash going for the local gas station. I am not sure who I am supporting more my family or the local gas station.

But once again I don't think the honda hybrid will pull my trailer. I would have a better chance pulling it with the new Lazer hp than a hybrid.

KTO Enterprises
06-09-2007, 11:21 AM
I said this in another post, I grossed 75000 last year and netted 45,000.

backtobasicslawncare
06-09-2007, 08:50 PM
i have made only 835 So Far This Year. I Have No Commerical Equipment. This Is My 2nd year. I Hope My Dream Comes True One Day. Of Having Zero Turn Mower And Couple Tractors

LTDLawnCare
06-09-2007, 09:33 PM
This is only my first year full time, did it part time last year and as of today i have grossed 16k since mid april. I dont have any bills really, i am only 19 so i just put everything back into the company.