PDA

View Full Version : Trimming techniques

Added Touch
06-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi All,

I was hoping to get some advice on the "proper" techniques for sidewalk trimming witha string trimmer. I have tried all sorts of ways, but the way that works the best seems to also be the most painful, as it shots debris directly at my shins .... please help.

TK

Supertiger
06-06-2007, 08:53 PM
If your worring about pain from the flying grass clipping just wear long pants i know its hot but what can you do?

Added Touch
06-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the reply, no it's more the bits of gravel etc. that get to me. I s that normal then?

ed2hess
06-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Hold the trimmer further out from you body.....you aren't dancing with it. No reason to have any debris hitting on you while you are edging...only when trimming with out the guard.

slclawn
06-06-2007, 10:09 PM
I walk back wards when i trim you know like drag the trimmer.

MSUPete
06-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Just don't throttle up so much. I don't use a powerful trimmer and the only time I'm at or near full throttle is when I'm taking out big, open areas like ditches or gated grass. Half throttle should be more than enough and shouldn't shoot debris quite as much. Otherwise, just keep on trucking and your shins will be numb to the pain in a month or so.

pjslawncare/landscap
06-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Just don't throttle up so much. I don't use a powerful trimmer and the only time I'm at or near full throttle is when I'm taking out big, open areas like ditches or gated grass. Half throttle should be more than enough and shouldn't shoot debris quite as much. Otherwise, just keep on trucking and your shins will be numb to the pain in a month or so.

I agree.
Also I walk forward when I trim sidewalks. I used to walk backwards, but I found when walking forward, I can walk faster with less fatigue when we do several homes together.

JKOOPERS
06-06-2007, 11:34 PM
i like to leave the handles on my trimmers loose that way i can turn them when i am trimming sidewalks to have a comfortable position.

KTO Enterprises
06-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Use a stick edger. leaves a crisper edge and no pain.

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT
06-06-2007, 11:44 PM
For once I agree with something KTO said. I saw a husqvarna sitck edger at lowes the other day for around $200. Never used one but it looked pretty good.

KTO Enterprises
06-06-2007, 11:48 PM
For once I agree with something KTO said. I saw a husqvarna sitck edger at lowes the other day for around $200. Never used one but it looked pretty good.

LOL I see you are in KY. what part? I have been to Ashalnd. Thats some pretty country up there, but I cont think I could do lawns in those hills. Ill take these flatlands anyday.

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT
06-06-2007, 11:51 PM
I live in the central part of the state between Lexington and Louisville. There are plenty of hills but not like in Ashland.

GreenT
06-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Use a stick edger. leaves a crisper edge and no pain.

Agree. Worth every penny IMO.