PDA

View Full Version : Sick of Searching Trailer Sides

lsylvain
06-06-2007, 09:13 PM
I have a 7 x 16 open trailer that I want to put 4' sides on. I would prefer wooden sides out of plywood. The thing I am trying to figure out is how to design the back so that it won't "flap" around going down the road. The front of course can be all tied in together but the back has to stay open. I know my truck sides after a while get really "floppy" and I keep having to shim them up and then they start to look all trashy because they are not inline with the truck. I may have just answered my question in my mind. I guess I could use some angle iron on the back corners but bolt it together instead of welding it so it can be removed.

Any other ideas?

EngineeredLawns
06-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Look at Northern tools, you can get corner brackets that will lock the rear into the sides, but allow for the rear to be removed.

lsylvain
06-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Look at Northern tools, you can get corner brackets that will lock the rear into the sides, but allow for the rear to be removed.

cool, thanks

mcwlandscaping
06-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Post a pic of the back of the tailer, i can probably come up with some idea on how to make it rigid.

If you can weld and really and want to make this really strong, you can make a steel up-right post on the back of the trailer going up from the side, then bolt and unbolt the back sides to that.

Or, you can put a 2*4 at the back going up and bolt it into the floor. That would eliminate the welding that you would have to do in the other idea. Cheap materials too

Vikings
06-07-2007, 01:51 PM
I bought a trailer from home depot and the back gate fell off 5 minutes later (could have killed someone). The trailer shook so bad that a reflector bounced off, also it tracked to the side.

Brought it back and bought this trailer... Very Solid (but much more expensive)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/SubZero2040/100_0171.jpg

Supper Grassy
06-07-2007, 03:27 PM
If you go through with this plan put a 2X4 or 1X2 on the back of the wood, put an eye hook in the wood selected on both sides. then get string,chain
rachet strap and hook to eye hook
with string/chain you would want a locking link
and a carabenier for the other side. . just a suggustion

lsylvain
06-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Post a pic of the back of the tailer, i can probably come up with some idea on how to make it rigid.

If you can weld and really and want to make this really strong, you can make a steel up-right post on the back of the trailer going up from the side, then bolt and unbolt the back sides to that.

Or, you can put a 2*4 at the back going up and bolt it into the floor. That would eliminate the welding that you would have to do in the other idea. Cheap materials too

I had thought about welding in uprights but then I have the uprights sticking up when the sides are off. Like I siad though I could just bold the uprights into place.

lsylvain
06-07-2007, 04:16 PM
If you go through with this plan put a 2X4 or 1X2 on the back of the wood, put an eye hook in the wood selected on both sides. then get string,chain
rachet strap and hook to eye hook
with string/chain you would want a locking link
and a carabenier for the other side. . just a suggustion

Do hwhat? you lost me.

Supper Grassy
06-07-2007, 04:29 PM
what part are you confused about

mount a piece of wood to sucure eye bolt in to
scure eyebolt in wood
get chain, or rope,
put a carbiner clip on one end
put a locking link on the other.