PDA

View Full Version : 06 6.0 Lemon also?

Mike33
06-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Well last thursday my 06 F-350 6.0 would not start at a convience store with hydro-seeder behind me. Had to call buddy with dodge cummins to haul my seeder to finish while truck was towed to ford garage. They checked right away and said high pressure oil leak internal. Would be monday before parts would be in. Checked tue. am they went to put back togeather and turbo was bad, so it had to be replaced. Got truck back this afternoon. I bought it last july new and have around 25k on it. I thought this one was going to be okey different than my 03 lemon but know i wonder. I was sure impressed with my buddies cummins it had un real power pulling out with my hydro-seeder loaded. In fact where i was filliing it takes all my ford can do to pull out but the dodge i just left out on the clutch and it idled up road. Very impressing. Am in for more trouble?
Mike

stroker51
06-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Oh boy, I hope not, I've been thinking about buying an '05 or '06 for my personal pickup, drive out to do estimates, to shop in the morning and home at night, and to put a new blade on, mainly because I want to semi-retire my 96 'stroke to only pulling the mowing trailer, and because I LOVE the grille styling on those trucks, and I have been hearing that all the problems were solved after the '04 model engines were all used up. Good luck man, keep us posted I'll be interested to see what happens. Maybe I should just stick with a 7.3, get like a late late '02 or something.

Dirty Water
06-09-2007, 12:10 PM
I swear to god, the only people buying fords are people who don't know any better. The Cummins trucks have so much power its unreal.

Let me say, I told ya so, because I think I did back when you bought it :)

Total Landscape Solutions
06-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Yea get a Cummins. Great engine, with the weakest frame, great idea!!

I've had multiple body shops refer to them as "Flexi Flyers" because the frames twist and bend so easily.

Now who's the one who dosen't know any better?:hammerhead:

TinMan421
06-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Yea get a Cummins. Great engine, with the weakest frame, great idea!!

I've had multiple body shops refer to them as "Flexi Flyers" because the frames twist and bend so easily.

Now who's the one who dosen't know any better?:hammerhead:

I happen to like my "Flexi Flyer" Even when I do get around to bending my frame I can still start the Cummins and keep going. intead of getting towed to the Ford dealer.

If ya get some free time. Can you put up a few links to some sites that tell about bent frames in Dodge diesels? I can't seem to find any. Maybe I'm not typing something right in the search engines.

IA_James
06-09-2007, 04:03 PM
I've never heard or seen any such thing. If you wanted to talk about automatic tranny's, I could see that maybe. I have however seen 1 year old PSD's with about 35k miles on 'em on the new car lots here with a "New motor!" sign on 'em. Might not be a bad deal now though, the local Ford dealer is advertising free engines for life right now.

Total Landscape Solutions
06-09-2007, 04:24 PM
You know what, your right.

I can't find it on the net either, and if it's not on the net it must not really happen.

My mistake.

KTO Enterprises
06-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Dodge does have a very weak frame. Why do you think you very rarely ever see one with a roll back bed on them. All the major players in the towing industry will not put a roll back on them for liability issues.

KTO Enterprises
06-09-2007, 06:01 PM
. I have however seen 1 year old PSD's with about 35k miles on 'em on the new car lots here with a "New motor!" sign on 'em..

This is usually a result of someone that did not change the oil from day one or put the wrong oil in. With the psd you have to use 15-w40 and it must be diesel oil. A lot of people take their trucks to quickee oil change places that dump cheap 10-w30 in every car that comes through the joint. Most new vehcles are oil specific. They are designed to use a certain type of oil only. A lot of cars built after 2000 have to take 5-w30 full synthetic. anything else will cause major problems. It all goes back to proper maintenance. Any vehicle can last a long time, if maintained properly.

IA_James
06-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Dodge does have a very weak frame. Why do you think you very rarely ever see one with a roll back bed on them. All the major players in the towing industry will not put a roll back on them for liability issues.

Or, it could be that up until this year Dodge didn't make a truck with the straight rail frame required for mounting the roll on/roll off set ups. It's also why you don't see the newer ones with service bodies. Nothing to do with frame strength, everything to do with where the bolt holes are, and the fabrication necessary to reach them.

This is usually a result of someone that did not change the oil from day one or put the wrong oil in. With the psd you have to use 15-w40 and it must be diesel oil. A lot of people take their trucks to quickee oil change places that dump cheap 10-w30 in every car that comes through the joint. Most new vehcles are oil specific. They are designed to use a certain type of oil only. A lot of cars built after 2000 have to take 5-w30 full synthetic. anything else will cause major problems. It all goes back to proper maintenance. Any vehicle can last a long time, if maintained properly.

Ford's problems with the 6.0 are alot more extensive than just the weight of oil being run in them. The last actual number I saw put on it, Ford actually ADMITTED to shelling out $500 Million dollars in warranty repairs on the 6.0s. I don't think Ford would be paying up if it was incorrect oil like you state.

Gravel Rat
06-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Dodge has always been known for weak frames and light springs. If Dodge didn't have Cummins they wouldn't have any truck sales PERIOD. The Cummins engine is the only thing that is making Dodge rattle traps sell.

Take a look at Ford they have dominated the 1 to 2 ton cab and chassis market for years same with Chev/GMC. Where was Dodge oh getting their azz bailed out by the gov't because they were going broke. Where is Dodge now they are owned by a large German based company that is suffering from lack of truck sales.

Lets see Ford and Chev started building diesel trucks back in 82 where was Dodge maybe in la la land. Ford and Chev have sold more cab and chassis 1 ton trucks than Dodge has built regular P/U trucks.

I like to ask the Dodge freaks would you buy one if its was gas powered :laugh:

If they say no then I usually say so your buying a truck because of a engine :rolleyes:

I have news for you Cummins has had the one of the worst track record for engines in Class 8 trucks. I was talking with a contractor the other day about every model Cummins has major problems with it and Caterpillar has not.

We will see how well the new 6.7 Cummins does with its siamese bore engine its definatly not a rebuildable engine. Have to see how well the 4500 and 5500 Dodge turns out. I noticed Sterling is selling the exact same truck except for with a Sterling name on it.

If the tow truck guys can get a year out of a new Dodge 4500-5500 without the frame breaking or the body falling off it might be a good proof Dodges are worth something now.

I will never switch brands I have been running Ford trucks for years and have never let me down. I will buy a gas powered truck if the diesels don't work out because you buy the truck for the truck not for the engine.

With the cost of the diesel option in new trucks is skyrocketing its getting to the point now you will never recoupe the cost in fuel savings your buying the diesel just because you want one. Also it is getting to the point now its cheaper to buy a medium duty truck like a International etc than it is to buy a P/U truck or light truck that will only last 4 years.

bobcatboy
06-09-2007, 09:19 PM
I agree with gravel rat, there were problems with the 6.0 but there were allot of people that did not have problems. Ford sells allot of trucks at least twice as many as any other truck maker out there. Chevy has not even been a contender in the diesel market until 02.

Mike33
06-09-2007, 09:37 PM
This is usually a result of someone that did not change the oil from day one or put the wrong oil in. With the psd you have to use 15-w40 and it must be diesel oil. A lot of people take their trucks to quickee oil change places that dump cheap 10-w30 in every car that comes through the joint. Most new vehicle are oil specific. They are designed to use a certain type of oil only. A lot of cars built after 2000 have to take 5-w30 full synthetic. anything else will cause major problems. It all goes back to proper maintenance. Any vehicle can last a long time, if maintained properly.

No i well maintain my trucks. My 03 6.0 was a lemon 2 turbos, 7 injectors, now 06 new turbo and o rings. My trucks go to ford garage between 2500 and 3k miles for oil change and tire rotation so it is on file for warranty and dealer really isnt much more expensive than jiffy lube. So my problem is beyond in proper maintenance.
Mike

treadlite
06-10-2007, 10:38 AM
There is a reason that oil service, seismic, logging, and tow truck companies use ford..... durability!!! The 6 litre diesel has had some problems, no one can deny this, but since the introduction of ULSD most of the turbo and EGR problems are gone..... as some of you have said, proper maintenance is the key, including the fuel filters.... most of the injector problems can be traced back to poor fuel system maintenance.
The cummins is a fantastic engine, but the rest of the truck is a poorly assembled, lightweight work truck at best. Look at the front suspension components on a dodge, then look at a ford. Not to mention transmission, brakes, electrical system problems etc..... There's more to a truck than just the engine. A truck that won't start, stop, steer properly or shift into gear is as useless as a truck that has a turbo or injector issue.
Bear in mind that Ford sells more diesel trucks than GM and DODGE combined..... maybe the dodge drivers out there can explain that!! Also explain for me why the big fleet users always buy ford as well!!

stroker51
06-10-2007, 01:16 PM
I too have heard of the dodge frames having issues. A guy I work with used to be really involved in a body shop and he said the same thing, a Ford truck's body could be totalled, but the frame would still be straight, and if a Dodge was involved in a similar collision, the whole truck would be junk, frame included. In my/Dodge defense, I like the cummins engine, great power and torque, but for an all around truck, I've had, and know others who've had a lot more luck with the Ford truck as a whole than with Dodges. Now on the cummins side, a project I am considering maybe in the next year is building a Cummins powered pulling truck out of my 1984 F250 4x4 plow truck, that would be a kick ace truck right there.

TinMan421
06-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Dodge has always been known for weak frames and light springs. If Dodge didn't have Cummins they wouldn't have any truck sales PERIOD. The Cummins engine is the only thing that is making Dodge rattle traps sell.

Sure seems to be a fair amout of Dodge trucks on the road where I live. A lot of gas + diesels trucks. But I live in the farm & ranch country.

Take a look at Ford they have dominated the 1 to 2 ton cab and chassis market for years same with Chev/GMC. Where was Dodge oh getting their azz bailed out by the gov't because they were going broke. Where is Dodge now they are owned by a large German based company that is suffering from lack of truck sales.

Wasn't it just month's back when GM & Ford were talking merger? I kinda thought all US car companys were hurting because they can't seem to make a decent product. Lots of layoffs lately at the automotive plants.

Lets see Ford and Chev started building diesel trucks back in 82 where was Dodge maybe in la la land. Ford and Chev have sold more cab and chassis 1 ton trucks than Dodge has built regular P/U trucks.

Probably trying to find a diesel motor for there trucks. Just like Ford found international and chevy found Detroit Diesel in the begining.

While I don't consider myself a Dodge freak, yes I would and did buy a dodge truck with a 360 motor. Good truck. Also have had my share of good GM and Ford products as well.

If they say no then I usually say so your buying a truck because of a engine :rolleyes:

Yes and no. A truck with a bad motor is worse than a bad truck with a good motor.

I have news for you Cummins has had the one of the worst track record for engines in Class 8 trucks. I was talking with a contractor the other day about every model Cummins has major problems with it and Caterpillar has not.

That's interesting being how I am in the trucking buisness 4 days a week and not sure how a big Cummins or Cat have much to do with a pickup motor.

We will see how well the new 6.7 Cummins does with its siamese bore engine its definatly not a rebuildable engine. Have to see how well the 4500 and 5500 Dodge turns out. I noticed Sterling is selling the exact same truck except for with a Sterling name on it.

Ya will just see how the new 6.7 does. The reason you see a Sterling name on a Dodge 4500/5500 is because they are owned by that large german based company. Along with Freightliner, Western Star Trucks, Sterling Trucks,Thomas built buses and Detroit Diesel.

If the tow truck guys can get a year out of a new Dodge 4500-5500 without the frame breaking or the body falling off it might be a good proof Dodges are worth something now.

I will never switch brands I have been running Ford trucks for years and have never let me down. I will buy a gas powered truck if the diesels don't work out because you buy the truck for the truck not for the engine.

So is it safe to say your a Ford man?:)

With the cost of the diesel option in new trucks is skyrocketing its getting to the point now you will never recoupe the cost in fuel savings your buying the diesel just because you want one. Also it is getting to the point now its cheaper to buy a medium duty truck like a International etc than it is to buy a P/U truck or light truck that will only last 4 years.

I couldn't agree more.

Lawnworks
06-10-2007, 02:43 PM

uh that is the whole point of buying a dodge... these cummins don't quit. I have one w/ 250k used everyday and another w/ 315k used everyday.... and guess what the doors are still on the trucks... they really don't fall apart like you say they do. You shouldn't believe everything you hear b/c when it comes to dodges you really don't have any personal experiences.

I actually like the Ford F250s, I am going to buy one for my wife to drive... but the cummins are the ones I use to get sh!t done

twj721
06-10-2007, 04:18 PM
I loved my 99 powerstroke and then bought a used 04 F 250 with a 6.0 with the automatic loved the get up and go but hated the fuel mileage , in two years had only 2 warranty issues 1 was the dealer that sold me the truck some how over tightened the fuel filter housing cap and when they tried to change the fuel filter they busted the housing the only other repair was the 6.0 famous EGR valve and headgasket issue But with 58000 on the truck I had a chance to get rid of the Ford so I did I traded for a 05 Dodge 3500 quad cab with only 36190 miles on it came with a cummins and a manual 6 spd here is a picture of the new ride still adding stuff to truck going to try to get spray in bed liner installed this next week also floor mats or covering along with seat covers