PDA

View Full Version : Gvrw?

Uranus
06-06-2007, 09:37 PM
I got an inside tip the other day from a buddy of mine that is a state cop. He was telling me that the Mass state police truck division is targeting landscape companies. They are pulling them over and inspecting truck, making sure you have your safety triangle, fire extinguisher, tied down equipment on open trailers, and checking registrations for gvrw's with your load in bed and trailer. Unfortunately I cant ask for details from my buddy since he is on vacation.

I'll ask the newbie questions about the gvrw. I have an F 250 with a gvrw of 8800 lbs. The truck is registered for 9000 lbs. I have an dump insert in it. Now I'm thinking I'm already over the limit. Am I correct? Now with the trailer attached to the truck does that effect the truck gvrw? Trailer is registered for 7000 lbs. Wondering if someone can give me an education about truck and trailer gvrw's

Greybeard
06-06-2007, 10:41 PM
I've been through all this stuff, too. Your truck empty probably weighs 6-7000 pounds. If you load it so it weighs more than 8800 (the manufacturer's rating), then they can ticket you. Doesn't matter what you register it for. They go by the tag on the door. Same with the trailer. You're OK with both together up to both their max GVW. Check to see that your trailer brakes and controller are working right, and make sure you have the little breakaway cable attached, too.

mini14
06-07-2007, 08:30 PM
the fine for overweight isnt big, not having triangles, exting.,breakaway, can be much higher.

EMJ
06-07-2007, 08:42 PM
There is a limit for total weight of truck and trailer. I believe it is called cgvwr (combine gross vehicle weight rating). I know that it is the same for all the 1/2 tons am not sure about the heavier trucks.

Uranus
06-07-2007, 08:51 PM
I'm getting all the things I need in the truck. I'll be doing some shopping this weekend.

As for the breakaway box, I dont have one. I had my trailer custom made for me by my local welder who advertises trailers. Is there a certian gvrw that dictates wether or not you have a breakaway box? The trailer is 8x16 s axles and rated for 7000 lbs.

milsaps118
06-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Is there a certian gvrw that dictates wether or not you have a breakaway box? The trailer is 8x16 s axles and rated for 7000 lbs.

You have to check with your states D.O.T. requirements on that. In MN you don't have to have brakes on single axle trailers, but on tandom or more axles you have to have brakes on all axles and a safty brake away switch.

SiteSolutions
06-08-2007, 12:39 AM
In AL, my tag covers GCWR (Gross combined weight rating, or truck + trailer). I had to buy enough tag to cover truck plus trailer loaded.

How much does that dump thing weigh? How much stuff you planning to put in it? I'm just using my F-350 to tow the trailer; I got an old dump truck for hauling materials. I usually just hire big dump trucks but sometimes the little dump makes sense.

I'm glad I read this post, though... I had forgot all about needing the extinguisher and safety triangles in my pickup!

Greybeard
06-08-2007, 08:42 PM
In Mass. you need brakes and a breakaway system on any trailer 3000 gross weight or more. It's a good idea, anyway. You don't want to have a panic stop situation and have your trailer push your pickup into a Mercedes full of lawyers.

Uranus
06-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Dump insert is about 800 lbs. I usualy have grass in the back of it with the trailer. Trailer either has a 60 lazer and a 36' metro along with the usual blower, trimmer, oils, rakes, etc. Other times there are 2 60" lazers and the other stuff. Sometimes there is up to 4 yards of grass in the back of the truck along with the trailer. I will never haul the trailer if I have a full load of mulch (4yrds) or 2 yards of loam. the loam sags the snot out of the rear end. Put in timbrens but they get smashed flat with anymore than 1 1/2 yrds of loam.
As for getting pulled over, I got a buddy (state cop) who spends 2-3 days a week serving as the court office.

And as far as teh Mercedes full of lawyers, I work for one of the biggest ambulace chasers in western mass. You might have seen his comercial on tv or his full page ad in the phone book. (dont say any names) hush hush. LOL

RedMax Man
06-09-2007, 03:25 PM
I guess i better get me a few triangle and a fire extinguisher. As far as i know my GVRW is fine. My trailer doesn't have brakes and is rated under 3000 lb.( only 6.5x12') and i pull it with an F-350. All the equipment is tied down. I'm never on the highway with the trailer full of equipment so i rarely see the state troopers. Thanks for the warning.

I need to get my turn signals and brake lights fixed on the trailer because they aren't working with the truck. The running lights work though:confused: Trailer lighting is very annoying, something always seems to be wrong.

Uranus
06-15-2007, 10:25 PM
I ran into an old buddy today. His company has 3 tickets already this year from the DOT. One citation was because his fire extinguisher was not "mounted" in the truck. It was behind the set but not mounted. Looks like landscapers in Mass are in for some fines this year.

I need a back up alarm and an alarm for the dump insert and I should be pretty close to compliant for DOT. Physical coming soon.