PDA

View Full Version : sick of scag

jrush
06-06-2007, 09:41 PM
wondering if anyone else has a prob with 48' advantage scag, execcive clippings, even when double cut, missed spots, bought new gator blades and still the same crappy cuts. For sale sign coming soon on this thing.

jt5019
06-06-2007, 10:05 PM
gator blades always give me a crappy cut in the lush spring growth. I only use them in the fall. Try using just the standard blades thats what works best for me with my scags.

mike33087
06-06-2007, 10:25 PM
gator blades always give me a crappy cut in the lush spring growth. I only use them in the fall. Try using just the standard blades thats what works best for me with my scags.

same here, both of mine work well just have to sharpen the blades at least once a week. I found that i get the best cut in 2nd gear

pjslawncare/landscap
06-06-2007, 10:31 PM
I have a 61" advantage and it does a good job with regular blades on it.

David Hartzog
06-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Had a fixed deck once with small tires 1993 model went real fast cut great. BUT
I hit a pot hole and the mower stoped dead and went HARD RIGHT I went over and my hand and chest hit the engine thing that spins at that time thy did't have guard.

smcunningham
06-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Use standard blades wait till fall for the gators mine cuts great

SoloSulkySurfer
06-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Use standard blades wait till fall for the gators mine cuts great

I second that.

outlaw1960
06-06-2007, 11:13 PM
I don't use gators this time of year, too much growth. late summer and fall in Colorado, at least the past two years. In heavy, or irrigated turf I have always found the cut quality to be on the poor side, imo

Rottman
06-06-2007, 11:17 PM
I have the tiger cub 48" advantage and I have tried to use the gator style blades in heavy growth or in the spring. Thinking that the clippings would get cut up more before the discharge. However you just cannot get a good crisp cut with them. I only use gator blades for leaves. I use regular or high lifts (not at the same time) and get a very good cut with them. You might want to change the setting on the front baffle and check your deck pitch also. Mine did not have a pitch, the deck was level so I changed mine to a front pitch.

KTO Enterprises
06-06-2007, 11:42 PM
I have the tiger cub 48" advantage and I have tried to use the gator style blades in heavy growth or in the spring. Thinking that the clippings would get cut up more before the discharge. However you just cannot get a good crisp cut with them. I only use gator blades for leaves. I use regular or high lifts (not at the same time) and get a very good cut with them. You might want to change the setting on the front baffle and check your deck pitch also. Mine did not have a pitch, the deck was level so I changed mine to a front pitch.

You lean your deck?????!?!?!?!? Do you realize this gives an uneven cut. The middle blade is lower than the outer two if you try to pitch the deck to the front. What would your reason for doing such a thing be?

macaw
06-07-2007, 08:58 AM
I use a blade system by meg-mow on all of my mowers. No clumping even in tall wet grass. And the discharge is in little bitty pieces.

02DURAMAX
06-07-2007, 10:51 AM
yea gator blades didnt work on my scag ......so i only used them in the fall...other than that it would leave a great cut..

johnnywill08
06-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Had a fixed deck once with small tires 1993 model went real fast cut great. BUT
I hit a pot hole and the mower stoped dead and went HARD RIGHT I went over and my hand and chest hit the engine thing that spins at that time thy did't have guard.

what?!?!?!?

johnnywill08
06-07-2007, 12:55 PM
I don't use gators this time of year, too much growth. late summer and fall in Colorado, at least the past two years. In heavy, or irrigated turf I have always found the cut quality to be on the poor side, imo

ditto on that

Rottman
06-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Sorry for typing to wrong info, typing to fast and brain not engaged. I do not have my scag set to a front pitch. You are right KTO you would get even a worst cut then. I have my deck set to a back pitch (back lower than front of deck) about a 1/3 of a inch. Thanks for pointing this out, I feel like a dumb a$$ now. LOL

KTO Enterprises
06-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Sorry for typing to wrong info, typing to fast and brain not engaged. I do not have my scag set to a front pitch. You are right KTO you would get even a worst cut then. I have my deck set to a back pitch (back lower than front of deck) about a 1/3 of a inch. Thanks for pointing this out, I feel like a dumb a$$ now. LOL

I just wanted to make sure you realized this, because I bet everyone is like me, when they level the deck they measure the outer blades, i have never measured the middle blade while leveling. Probably should to make sure deck isnt warped, but there are race cars in the shop also and I like working on them a lot more than my mower. LOL

J&T Kiev
06-07-2007, 10:57 PM
It's my experience, side discharging with both the advantage and the old style deck the Advantage replaced, gator blades generally leave a poor cut. During spring when the grass is high in moisture content, gators will clump excessively. I side discharge with Scag OEM high lifts, spring and on irrigated lawns, and put the gator's on during the fall clean-up season .

smcunningham
06-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Rottman and kto enterprises,
i thought decks should be pitched forward....front of deck lower then back of deck:confused:

KTO Enterprises
06-07-2007, 11:29 PM
doing that makes the center blade a lot lower than the outer two. resulting in unlevel cut. I prefer my deck to be perfectly level.

J&T Kiev
06-08-2007, 12:08 AM
I pitch the front of the deck, between an 1/8 and 1/4 inch lower then the back. This produces a superior cut, and stripe, on cool season grass anyway.

LCPullman
06-08-2007, 01:37 AM
I know that both Toro and Hustler floating decks come with the front 1/8" lower than the back. That is how they recommend you adjust the deck for best performance. I wouldn't know whether they design the deck so the blades are flat or if the blades are tipped forward slightly.
I don't think you want the deck tipped back though, unless it is to make leaf cleanup easier (get the leaves to go under the deck better).
If you have to mess with deck pitch and the manufacturer doesn't specify a pitch, you really can't go wrong with no pitch.

By the way, just like everyone else is saying, don't use gator blades this time of year.

I just noticed that Ferris recommends a 1/4" pitch with the front lower than the back

mhussey
06-08-2007, 07:11 AM
doing that makes the center blade a lot lower than the outer two. resulting in unlevel cut. I prefer my deck to be perfectly level.

Your deck is engineered to have a slight pitch to the front of the deck. Preferably a 1/4" lower in the front than the rear. Typically on smaller decks you want to go to 1/8" or 3/16" pitch due to the smaller blade. This will maximize lift and vacuum and the quality of cut will tell. This is also recommended by your manufacture if you read your manual.

What do you mean this will make the center blade lower than the other two? Your blades should be at the same height from the top of the deck to the blade. If not then you should space them to be the same.

johnnywill08
06-08-2007, 08:21 AM
It's my experience, side discharging with both the advantage and the old style deck the Advantage replaced, gator blades generally leave a poor cut. During spring when the grass is high in moisture content, gators will clump excessively. I side discharge with Scag OEM high lifts, spring and on irrigated lawns, and put the gator's on during the fall clean-up season .

agree 100%!

KTO Enterprises
06-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Your deck is engineered to have a slight pitch to the front of the deck. Preferably a 1/4" lower in the front than the rear. Typically on smaller decks you want to go to 1/8" or 3/16" pitch due to the smaller blade. This will maximize lift and vacuum and the quality of cut will tell. This is also recommended by your manufacture if you read your manual.

What do you mean this will make the center blade lower than the other two? Your blades should be at the same height from the top of the deck to the blade. If not then you should space them to be the same.

The middle blade is way in front of the other 2 blades. You drop the front of the deck to have a slight rake forward and it multiplies for the center blade. the line continues forward. Its simple geometry.

johnnywill08
06-08-2007, 09:46 AM
The middle blade is way in front of the other 2 blades. You drop the front of the deck to have a slight rake forward and it multiplies for the center blade. the line continues forward. Its simple geometry.

dude, we're landscapers- ain't no such thing as "simple" geometry!:dizzy:

mhussey
06-08-2007, 10:38 AM

Yes you are correct to a certain extent, however the difference isn't going to be that great. You are looking at fraction of fraction difference probably 32ths or so. If you put a 1/4" rake on your deck, I bet the middle blade will be the same distance as your other 2 on the end by a 16ths ruler.

You will see a big difference in lift, and vacuum when having a 1/4" rake.

dvblandscaping
06-08-2007, 12:54 PM
I learned my lesson this year. I started with standard high lift and then changed to gators, thinking the same thing... smaller clippings. However it seems that the clippings are longer, clump more, and the cut is not nearly as good as before. I plan to put the high lifts back on.

mcduff48
06-08-2007, 05:51 PM
As long as your blades are on the same cutting plane it's impossible for the center to cut lower. Offset is to achieve overlap that's all. I believe if you consult with any company (Toro, Scag, Exmark etc.) they will advise using a forward pitch. " Level cuts all the way around robbing power"..." aft pitch cuts
first with the front of the blade and then again with the back...costing twice the energy usage"....."1/8 to 1/4 forward pitch is the easiest on your powwer train and gets through the grass the quickest" Think about it.

gobblet
06-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Lower the deck I know it's tough this time of year but it works, I'm looking at the same problem. If you don't get no complaints screw it...

jrush
06-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I kinda got suckered into buying the gators, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Unhappy with the cut and the clumps/clippings. Thinking about the Toro zero turn w/bagger, can't really afford it right now, but if I don't like the cuts, I'm sure the customers don't like it either.

ed2hess
06-08-2007, 10:06 PM
I got the Scag and never had that much problem with deck pitch in fact never even bothered with it. I mulch everything with plate on outlet and never had any problem getting a good cut. I cut wet tall rye grass in the rain and get good cut....do double cut when wet. If it clumps raise the deck one notch on second pass and it will knock any clumps out. Guess you won't have any trouble selling it though.

pfisdon
06-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Slow down , cut more often and only use gators when mulching leaves. A machine is only as good as the operator.

jrush
06-09-2007, 04:57 AM
thats another prob, people fertalize the hell out of their lawn, we've been
getting rain, grass is growing very fast. I'd like to cut more often but alot of these people don't want to pay. They want there lawn to look like a golf course cutting it 10-14 days this time of year. I'll try the highlifts, and slowing down, but most of the time I'm only in 3

Envy Lawn Service
06-09-2007, 10:34 PM

As long as your blades are on the same cutting plane it's impossible for the center to cut lower. Offset is to achieve overlap that's all. I believe if you consult with any company (Toro, Scag, Exmark etc.) they will advise using a forward pitch. " Level cuts all the way around robbing power"..." aft pitch cuts
first with the front of the blade and then again with the back...costing twice the energy usage"....."1/8 to 1/4 forward pitch is the easiest on your powwer train and gets through the grass the quickest" Think about it.

Both of you are correct to an extent...

KTO is totally correct about the center blade.
Measure the front tip down to a flat surface and it WILL be closer.

However, mcduff is also partially correct.
The bold portion is correct.

The power consumption is true of all mowers, and on most of them, 1/8" - 1/4" lower in the front is not enough to "cup" the cut. A lot of mowers out there flat cut better this way.

But not all of them.

Rake is a fine tuning adjustment.
I start at dead level and creep the rake up as far as the deck can handle without affecting the cut or discharge. This cuts down on drag on the engine from the deck and saves a little fuel. Then if conditions change and the edge comes off my cut, I reduce the rake a tad until it tunes back in. It only takes a second to do with the threaded rods on my machines.