PDA

View Full Version : Walker overheats

Mowing Freak
06-07-2007, 12:58 AM
This is for any walker owners who own a recent diesel mower. I have an '06 diesel and have had nothing but trouble with the heat gage showing it to be running about 210 degrees or right at the red line. Have had it in the shop 5 times now with this problem and their fix is to replace the gage and sending unit. I am at my wits end with this mower but my question is, has any other owners had this problem. Going to call Bob Walker tomorrow the second time and try to get this problem straightened out as makes no sense when all other water cooled walkers I am around don't have this problem. Let me know if you have had any issues and if and how they were fixed. Gage just shows hot, the mower is not actually running hot.

pclawncare
06-07-2007, 01:02 AM
i havent herd anything about that with anyone thats running them around here but i will say i have been very very pleased with walker when it comes to dealing with problems. They seem to have a very genuine intrest in making it right with their customers that is something i appriciate and have been very pleased with best of luck getting it figured out

Mowing Freak
06-07-2007, 01:06 AM
I love my 3 other walkers but just problems since day one with this one. Maybe just got a lemon!

pclawncare
06-07-2007, 01:11 AM
Who know it is possible i just bought a new mt this year with the high lift and after 5 hours the shop replaced both hydro pumps first the right one was too slow and couldnt slow the left one down enough to go straight so they changed the right well then the right was going to fast and the left couldnt be speed up enought to catch it so they changed it and now 100 hours later havent had an issue since. i was surprised how easy walker was to deal with the mechanic called one of the techs at walker told him what was going on and the tech said change the hydros and send them back. All in all my machine was down 35 min changing out hydros as they had them in stock. That is faster than i have seen any other kind of waranty work get done

Mowing Freak
06-07-2007, 01:16 AM
I do have issues with the distributor (not dealer) on wanting to do much on this mower. I seem to get further when the factory is contacted. The dealer threw a fit for me when the fan blew up and they didnt want to replace the radiator just to be on the safe side. After I told the dealer it has less than 100hrs on it and paid 12000 for the mower, what would you like see done with it. Dealer called back same day and said factory told them to replace radiator. Now 6 or 7 gages later, will see what happens!

tomo
06-07-2007, 10:13 AM
This is for any walker owners who own a recent diesel mower. I have an '06 diesel and have had nothing but trouble with the heat gage showing it to be running about 210 degrees or right at the red line. Have had it in the shop 5 times now with this problem and their fix is to replace the gage and sending unit. I am at my wits end with this mower but my question is, has any other owners had this problem. Going to call Bob Walker tomorrow the second time and try to get this problem straightened out as makes no sense when all other water cooled walkers I am around don't have this problem. Let me know if you have had any issues and if and how they were fixed. Gage just shows hot, the mower is not actually running hot.

hello, i have observed walkers 4 years now . I have comprehensive experience mechanically and own 2x units and looking to buy a diesel .
1/there r many upgrades 4 walkers including the diesel [if remember correctly there r upgrades 4 the temp guage and or thermatic fan control ]
2/info from other operators is that the diesel does run on the warmer side of things
3/190f would be better than 210f
4/ has the repair shop done all the checks 4 correct operation of the full cooling system .** From your explanation** of the situation The TECH HAS NOT I REPEAT NOT INVESTIGATED PROPERLY

First step would be to actually measure the operating temp independantly of the oem temp guage eg with mutimeter and thermocouple or thermometer in the radiator neck.

If the temp is ok the guage and or wiring r at fault
Eg remove wire from sender unit and attach guage checker [variable resister] one end to loom and other to earth .Guage checker is set to the resistance that the dash guage should see when it is eg 75f and 150f Resistance at certain dash guage readings r availabe from the guage maker .

If guage fails this test [proving accuracy] this leaves 2x items either guage faulty or the power supply feeding guage is feeding incorrect voltage '

If the guage passes this test the sender unit in the engine is faulty or it is not connecting to earth properly,wiring eg earth strap or the threads have to much sealant on them preventing good contact

The walker techs at my local dealer would not know what a guage checker is !!!!!!!!!!!!!

tomo:waving:

Mowing Freak
06-08-2007, 02:09 AM
From what I understand, they have replaced fan control module, thermostat, checked water pump flow, put in 6-7 guages and sending units, new fan (old one had come apart, factory recall), new radiator, and some pulled out hair from me and dealer. Walker wants me not to worry about guage reading and just ignore it. But if I chose, they will figure out the problem. I am still waiting for answers. Talked to Bob Walker today and he wants to help but basically said to just ignore guage reading and depend on light and buzzer if it runs too hot. I said no way. For 12000 I want everything to work. I have a multi-meter with a laser thermometer on it and am going to test it again tomorrow for readings compared to guage readings. I know they will be off as they were the first time I tried this. Before long, may look into Kansas lemon law and see if it covers mowers. I really don't have time to play with this thing. Thats why I bought new!!

tomo
06-08-2007, 07:50 AM
From what I understand, they have replaced fan control module, thermostat, checked water pump flow, put in 6-7 guages and sending units, new fan (old one had come apart, factory recall), new radiator, and some pulled out hair from me and dealer. Walker wants me not to worry about guage reading and just ignore it. But if I chose, they will figure out the problem. I am still waiting for answers. Talked to Bob Walker today and he wants to help but basically said to just ignore guage reading and depend on light and buzzer if it runs too hot. I said no way. For 12000 I want everything to work. I have a multi-meter with a laser thermometer on it and am going to test it again tomorrow for readings compared to guage readings. I know they will be off as they were the first time I tried this. Before long, may look into Kansas lemon law and see if it covers mowers. I really don't have time to play with this thing. Thats why I bought new!!

hello, as a short test insert thermocouple under top hose and then operate to operating temp and take reading .
In another situation i have actually installed a data recording module also [it down loads to computer ]Do not rely on the laser temp reading .

If the machine operates at 210f the cooling system will depend on the radiator cap and coolant to prevent o/heating .
Rad cap has pressure ,markings on it eg 13 psi [This in turn raises the boiling point of the cooling system above boiling point ]
Coolant used in the coorect concentration will also raise boiling point .

Just a bit of advice in regards to warning light and buzzer if walker r like most makers . TERMINOLIGY IS ""IDIOT LIGHT"" TYPICALLY THEY OPERATE TO LATE CAUSING DAMAGE .

Thought of another issue i have seen is casting sand from the engine block either sitting in galleries or blocking radiator tubes . Water pumps do have faulty impellors that spin on there shaft also..
tomo

Mowing Freak
06-08-2007, 08:47 AM
I agree on the warning lights but according to Walker, the light and buzzer sound at 230 degrees and engine damage occures at 250 degrees. I dont want to reach buzzer stage if I can keep from it. The dealer and factory told me to compare temps (if I had that ability with laser temp) by shooting the thermostat housing. The antifreeze is new from dealer too. Frustrating isn't it? You have good ideas but I or dealer dont have the nice technology that you talk about like thermocoupler and data recording module. Keep the ideas coming. Maybe there will be one that hasn't been tried yet that will work.

Eric D
06-08-2007, 10:10 AM
I can understand your frustration with having a new unit not performing flawless. Has there been any input from the engine manufacturer? The dealer replacing gauge and sending unit more then twice should be a sign that someone hasn’t a clue to what the real problem is. Has anyone checked for an exhaust obstruction? How about injector timing? These two can affect the engine operating temp.

Keep us posted on what you find out, and I agree with you 100%. Main reason to buy new is to avoid troubles. Lets hope they get it corrected before there really is damage.

Regards,

Eric D

tallimeca
06-08-2007, 12:54 PM
12 grand and the answer is to just ignore the guage?? Bullshit.

I will tell you this. A local HUGE landscaper who has about 12 walkers, was switching to diesels in hopes to get longer engine life out of them. Had nothing but problems with the diesel units, basically, issues like you are having, and went back to the air cooled gas.

Kubota engines, although aren't totally bullet proof, are pretty sound. Sounds to me like there is a wiring issue there somewhere if they have replaced the guage, and sending units multiple times.

My next step would be to try another dealer. Not that your dealer might not be quallified, but sometimes when you get a problem like this, they can get frustrated and be overlooking something that another dealer might have seen before.

Good luck.

Mowing Freak
06-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Eric, I mentioned the injector timing to Bob Walker and got the impression they have not even heard about that but said it may be something to look at. My dad actually had the same idea. Told this to my dealer and said they will check into that.

Tallimeca, talking to another dealer is a good idea. I have the factory, distributor, and dealer involved and no success but will try that anyway...I am desperate!!

Walker has changed gage brands from Stewart-Warner to some no name brand guage. All the mowers I have contact with has the stewart-warner gages and no problems. I called stewart warner to see about getting a gage but have to call monday as the people who I need to talk to were gone for the day. More later as I find out info.

Eric D
06-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Eric, I mentioned the injector timing to Bob Walker and got the impression they have not even heard about that but said it may be something to look at. My dad actually had the same idea. Told this to my dealer and said they will check into that.

Mowing Freak,

I’ve come to the conclusion that any dealer or manufacturer standard reply to any issue is “I haven’t heard of that before” :confused: even if they have. Don’t forget the exhaust restriction as well. I’ve seen miss manufactured mufflers with loose or miss placed baffling that was causing a restriction. If the timing or restriction on the exhaust were bad enough, the unit would be short on power as well. How does your unit run? Does it seem to have full power? Has anyone replaced the thermostat?

It sounds like your dad is a sharp man. Taking his advice would be a smart thing to do. Keep on pushing Walker; they need to make this right in my humble opinion. Personally I believe the gauge thing is barking down the wrong path.

Best of luck and I do hope things go your way,

Eric D

Mowing Freak
06-09-2007, 10:40 PM
My dad is a small engine mechanic for a living so he does know but this has him a little baffled too. Yes the thermostat has been replaced 2-3 times too. The mower seems to have all kinds of power. Runs the same as my "98 diesel walker far as power goes. The exhaust fells like it has the same output or pressure as the '98 too. I agree they need to make it right and yes, I will keep pushing everybody!! Bob remembers my first conversation with him and now the second one I'm sure will stick with him and each one from now on 'till this is fixed. So far I am keeping my cool with everybody too. Keep giving me ideas and will see what happens! Going to make more calls Monday to stir it up more!!

gene gls
06-09-2007, 11:17 PM
In 2002, I bought a 1997 Walker diesel, 48" GHS unit to use as a backup mower. With my 48" deck on, it worked fine. When I switched over to my 62" deck, it ran hot, and the buzzer would sound if you pushed it very much. I never bothered to get it looked at. I found that when I removed the screen from the out side of the raditor my over heating problem went away. I just made sure that I blew out the raditor real good every morning. My big problem with it was hard starting when the outside air temp was under 40 deg. I always kept it in my garage and had to put a heat light on the engin for about an hour before I tried to start it. I would leave it run all day durning fall cleanups . My dealer tried several things that never made any differance, other than empty my wallet. I got fed up with it and sold it after 3 years. It sucks to buy a new mower and have problems, been there done that with my Hustler.

Mowing Freak
06-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Wow, sorry to hear about your luck. I thought about trading this one in on a Hustler with the cat diesel. May have second thoughts on that! No, there is bad ones now and then with all manufacturers I'm sure. My brother has the walker diesel bagging unit I think '02 or '03 and I ran it all last year with our 100-110 degree temps and still ran fine, I just got too hot so would quit early! I know it is a little late in your situation, but they do have updated parts for the older stuff that makes it work better or did for me with the '98 I have. Have a new (3yrs ago) fan module, relays, and sending units. Just found out yesterday we have to change the relay on it more often or will overheat so as of yesterday, have fixed that problem on the '98. Installed new relay today on the new mower and still didn't fix the problem. So with a little more hair off my head will keep digging!

tomo
06-10-2007, 08:05 AM
hello, as i said previously ,i hope the walker techs have done all they could but as we know the jury is still out on this ..
Have they checked 4 mechanical load on the engine via binding bearings eg pto box ,deck g/box ,blower, jack shaft etc etc
Yes the injector pump and or the injectors could be set incorrectly [over haul both at the same time ]
Set/check injector pump timing
If all else fails and i do hope they fix it .
Install a thermostat with a temp of 180f
Install a temp sender 4 the fan operation 190--195f
If these items cannot contain temperature fit a custom radiater which has an extra row of cores and make sure it has a higher BTU rating than original . Upgrading a cooling system is not unusal in the mechanical industry .This still happens on every thing from heavy machinery to automotive although some offer it as option eg hot weather upgrade

tomo:waving:

zero
06-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Hello,, You need to pressure check the cooling system to eliminate any major problems like a cracked block or a blown head gasket. Any loss of pressure (read on a gauge attached to radiator) will tell you if you have BIG problems. PS. make sure hoses are tight etc... before testing.

MikeLT1Z28
06-10-2007, 02:02 PM
hmmm. you said they replaced everything and it's not overheating... did you use the laser yet? i used mine on my gas LC and the temp gauge and my laser were within 5 degrees of each other. if it's not overheating, i'd say wiring problem between the sending unit and the gauge. did they run a wire straight from the sending unit to the gauge? bypassing the wiring harness?

i was going to say radiator cap, but if it's not actually running hot...

Mowing Freak
06-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Yes used laser all day Friday and sometimes on Saturday. Temp was ranged from 20 to 10 degrees difference. Gauge always read lower than the gauge. Never thought about the wire straight to the guage. My dad bought an after market gauge and am going to hook that up and compare with factory gauge.

MikeLT1Z28
06-10-2007, 09:31 PM
also, i think the gauge has to be matched to the sending unit so the resistence will make the gauge read properly. that's how it was on a mustang i used to have anyway.

Mowing Freak
06-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Yes, they replace the sending unit with each gauge for that reason.

MikeLT1Z28
06-11-2007, 11:45 PM
did you try bypassing the wiring harness yet and going straight from the sending unit to the gauge?

fiveoboy01
06-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Having a fair amount of experience with small diesel engines(3 and 4 cylinder yanmar diesels in transport refrigeration units), I frankly don't think it's mucn of a concern if the engine is running at 210 degrees. 230 and above, and that's trouble.

JMO, but that temperature isn't anything to be concerned about.

Mowing Freak
06-12-2007, 02:45 AM
Mike LT, no didn't try it today as we got around 3-4 inches of rain this A.M so didnt feel like getting stuck or the temp guage for me wouldn't have been able to read high enough!!

ducky1
06-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Hey Mowing Freak, have you found out any thing about your walker yet? It will be interesting to see if they take care of their customers or not. I will know if I want to buy any more walkers or not.

tallimeca
06-26-2007, 11:54 AM
we've had a couple diesels come in with warning alarms going off.

Temps were going up to about 190 max, alarms going off at about 175.

Is the guage wrong or the sending unit for the alarms wrong?

Ran it with blades on and brought it up to temp. Manually measured coolant temp and it was right on with the guage.

Alarm sending units were bad.

However, not once did the guage go over 190, even when out cutting testing the units. It was 80 degrees out.

I've asked a couple guys with diesels and they said they are always under 200. Once in a while if it's like the hottest day of the year, it will creep just over 200 but hardly ever.

I think the thermostats in the kubota D motors are 180 degree units.

Mowing Freak
06-26-2007, 08:07 PM
The alarm and lights work just fine as when the fan blade broke the first time. I just got the mower back today and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Walker has started using a cheaper guage and have done away with the dependable Stewart/Warner guages for a cheaper version. My dealer called Walker and the distributor and both say basically, too bad, so sad, live with it. Talked to Bob Walker himself and he told me and the dealer both not to worry about the guage. I have a Stewart/Warner guage coming from a Stewart/Warner dealer that is the same part as was used on Walker, should be here anytime, and I will install then see what the temps are. I don't know when they stopped using the Stewart/Warner guages but what is funny is, when this problem first popped up, the distributor started looking to see if anybody had any Stewart/Warner guages left. When they couldn't find any, it just seemed to not be a problem anymore. I have been waiting on the guage and what I find after using it to post an update but this is a little bit of an update for now.

mowerdave
06-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Man does this sound familiar. I have been dealing with my Walker all spring long with almost the same problem. I think that I may have it fixed now. Mine was doing almost the same thing with the light and buzzer alarming, but the temperature guage showed only 190. Called the dealer and he told me that it was the sending unit. Ordered that and then he told me that I would also need a new guage to be compatible with the sending unit. Put all of the on and still did the same thing. Called him back and he had me checking the radiator, water pump, air filter and coolant temperature with a probe. Still no fix. He gave me the number to his distributor and this guy had me unhook the temp sensor in the radiator that goes to the light and buzzer. He said that the new temperature guages that have the Walker logo on them can be off by 10-15% which is 30 degrees if your machine is running at 200 F. I have installed this new sensor in the radiator and although I have only mowed for one week, it appears that the problem is solved. Tempted to put the old temp sender and guage back on but we will see how the rest of the summer goes. Hope this helps.

Mowing Freak
06-27-2007, 01:15 AM
Ah! Mowerdave I see your from KC so your dealing with the wonderful Walker Midamerica non helpers. It's pretty nice when you spend around 12000 for a mower and then have a guage up to 20 degrees off and thats supposed to be ok. The guage and sending unit have nothing to do with the buzzer or lights. It will be with either of the 2 sensors mounted in the radiator as I had the same problem at one time and a new sensor fixed that. I personally think walker has some problems but for now won't openly admit anything. Stewart/Warner said guages should not be more than 5 degrees off in any direction. The Stewart/Warner guages I am familiar with are pretty much right on. Glad to know I'm not the only one with these problems. What year is your mower?

mowerdave
06-27-2007, 10:42 PM
My Walker is a 2002 model. Like I said, not much help from the dealer, but have gotten some pretty good answers on some stuff from their distributor down in Harrisonville MO. Good luck with your problems.

delmcleod
06-24-2012, 12:00 PM
so years later... another MDD with the same problem. I have gone through and replaced 90% of the electronics on our cooling system and when you back the key up to heat the glow plugs, the fan SHOULD cycle through all its speeds. THe fan controller clicks like its cycling but the fan only comes on when the machine is overheating. No warning light or siren, just no operation from the fan below 235` and when it does turn on it doesnt cool the machine back down to normal operation temps. we replaced the relay(s) ceramic resistor, fan controller, fan itself... any other ideas??? when I tried to back track the wires on the fan back to the fan controller, i either couldnt trace them or they showed almost no impedence ( guage didnt bounce like it would if you touch the guage probes to themselves) but showed low current like when i tested the ceramic resistor... Help?

Its a 2007 MDD 48"

jrs.landscaping
06-24-2012, 01:00 PM
so years later... another MDD with the same problem. I have gone through and replaced 90% of the electronics on our cooling system and when you back the key up to heat the glow plugs, the fan SHOULD cycle through all its speeds. THe fan controller clicks like its cycling but the fan only comes on when the machine is overheating. No warning light or siren, just no operation from the fan below 235` and when it does turn on it doesnt cool the machine back down to normal operation temps. we replaced the relay(s) ceramic resistor, fan controller, fan itself... any other ideas??? when I tried to back track the wires on the fan back to the fan controller, i either couldnt trace them or they showed almost no impedence ( guage didnt bounce like it would if you touch the guage probes to themselves) but showed low current like when i tested the ceramic resistor... Help?

Its a 2007 MDD 48"

is the fan motor bad? The fan should start to cycle whether you turn the key to "on" or reverse to cycle the glow plugs. Maybe the reason the fan kicks on is when it auto reverses making the fan run backwards when it is overheating. Ours reverse when the motor gets to high heat levels for a period of time, the fan wil go in reverse for 30 sec to clean the radiator and then return to spinning normally.

delmcleod
06-24-2012, 05:46 PM
No replaced the fan, relay, white ceramic resistor, fan controller, traced connections between all these components and there is still something breaking the 'loop' so te fan only kicks on when the unit overheats. Doesn't stay on either... Doesn't come on with the key either way
Posted via Mobile Device

delmcleod
06-24-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm hoping it's not the wiring harness...But I'd have to tear it all out to figure it out. Tried connectors: connecting, unconnecting, reconnecting, crossing fingers no power still
Posted via Mobile Device

jrs.landscaping
06-24-2012, 08:27 PM
bad ground/bare wire rubbing somewhere?

delmcleod
06-24-2012, 08:37 PM
That's what I was thinking, it's a tough one to find. I'm half tempted to replace the main wiring harness
Posted via Mobile Device

jrs.landscaping
06-24-2012, 09:54 PM
It sounds dumb but check all of the nuts that hold the grounds in place. We thought we lost the fan/fuel pump out of our 99. Turns out a nut had backed off and wasn't giving a constant ground. It sucks to chase all the wires but it's cheaper than replacing all of your wiring.

Mowing Freak
06-29-2012, 01:40 AM
My happiest day is when I turned the key on my new Grasshopper and retired my POC (piece of crap) Walker with low hours. My heating problem was related to the timing being off on the diesel engine. After they fixed it, it ran good for a while, then for whatever reason, heating problems returned. Oh well, don't have to worry with it now as it sits in the barn and gets used to mow my dads yard. Just about the only thing it's good for.....

electric
07-01-2012, 07:27 AM
I have a newer diesel with only 117 hours on it and mowing a couple weeks ago it overheated. Took it to dealer (still under waranty) they said the fan control module was bad. Mower with it for an hour then it overheated. Called them, they said its probably a bad relay in the back so they gave me one. I replaced it and it's been fine. Operating tems are staying between 180 and 195ish. I mowed with it yesterday and it was 91 out the hottest it got was 195ish. So far it's ok.

herler
07-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned but if your mower is suffering from no ill consequences at present one might just follow the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

On the other hand it could well be as simple a thing as your engine sporting a high temp thermostat so one might see about replacing the thermostat with one in the 170 range or thereabouts, not too much lower either, might even try 180-185, the colder it runs the worse your engine's efficiency.