PDA

View Full Version : Where to get cheaper V-belts?

SSS 18734
06-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Does anywhere know where I can get cheaper replacement belts for my 34" Gravely Walkbehind?

My dealer wants $50.00 for a blade belt.

dwost
06-07-2007, 09:19 PM
I get mine at tractor supply. "Huskee" brand, they are Kevlar reinforced and my 94" belt runs about $24 as compared to $55 from the dealer. Been using them since I bought my Gravely new in 2002 and they work great.

dfor
06-08-2007, 05:31 PM
www.mowpart.com has good prices on belts. Never bought from them, not sure of the quality. But a heck of a lot cheaper than my dealer. 60% less than my dealer.

Green Quality
06-08-2007, 09:36 PM
I go to auto-zone,tractor supple,and if I'm hard up might even stop at jd dealer. just know what before hand how many inches your v-belt is!:usflag:

SSS 18734
06-11-2007, 03:52 PM
www.mowpart.com has good prices on belts. Never bought from them, not sure of the quality. But a heck of a lot cheaper than my dealer. 60% less than my dealer.

I was looking at mowpart's belts and they have two categories: OEM Replacement Belts and Aramid Fiber Cords.

My manual states that the belt is 95" long and .650 Wide
The Aramid Fiber belt is 95" long and .625 Wide

Would this be a problem? Or is it negligible and worth saving $25.00 over?

Restrorob
06-11-2007, 06:22 PM

The skinnier belt will ride deeper in the pulley grooves and possibly on the inner face instead of the edges, Also the same length belt riding deeper in the pulleys will cause the belt to be longer.

maintenanceguy
06-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Plain old industrial belts are cheap and most OEM belts are just plain old industrial belts, made in the same factories by the same companies but with the OEM logo printed on them. You can get almost any OEM belt after market cheaper...a lot cheaper.

There are a few odd-ball belts out there. Once in a while you come across a metric belt or something thats just odd but I bet 99.9% of drive belts are standard industrial belts. Any industrial supplier will have them. Grainger, Industrial Supply, McMaster, Tractor Supply, etc. I always buy industrial belts and have never had a problem. Our Grasshopper mule belt is $75 from Grasshopper and $15 from our local industrial supplier. $35 Toro PTO drive belts are $8.

It's easy to figure out what type of belt you have. there are three types of belts:

Fractional horsepower with cross sections of 2L, 3L, 4L, 5L
Conventional Industrial Belts (A,B,C,D)
and narrow profile industrial belts (3V,5V,8V)

Any of these profiles may be notched which would add a "V" to the belt number (such as 3VX). most people think the notches are to add "grip" they're really just to let the belt bend around a smaller pulley.

The length is given in inches for the industrial belts (a B100 is a B profile 100 inches long, a 3V66 is a 3V profile 66 inches long) the fractional horsepower belts use inches plus an extra zero. (2L220 is a 2L belt 22" long)

When measuring belts, don't measure around the outside or inside, the outside of the belt will be too big and the inside will be too small. You need to figure out how to measure at the "neutral axis" That's where they put the reinforcing cords inside the belt. Industrial suppliers will have a measureing tool that's really just two pulleys that can be slid apart with a ruler painted on the front.

maintenanceguy
06-11-2007, 07:20 PM

As restrorob said: narrow belt might ride so low in the pulley that it would touch at the bottom and just slip.

I'd bet the .625" wide belt is a 5V95 (a 5V is 5/8" wide = .625") and you want a B95 (a B is 21/32" wide = .65625"...within 25 thousandths should be close enough)

Oh, I can't edit my post above any more, I said that a notched belt gets a "V" in the part number. I meant it gets an "X" in the part number.

OEM parts are often just standard size industrial parts in a different wrapper. It's expensive to have custom bearings, belts, or oil filters manufacturered. So manufacturers just use off the shelf stuff and paint it their own colors.

dwost
06-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Plain old industrial belts are cheap and most OEM belts are just plain old industrial belts, made in the same factories by the same companies but with the OEM logo printed on them. You can get almost any OEM belt after market cheaper...a lot cheaper.

There are a few odd-ball belts out there. Once in a while you come across a metric belt or something thats just odd but I bet 99.9% of drive belts are standard industrial belts. Any industrial supplier will have them. Grainger, Industrial Supply, McMaster, Tractor Supply, etc. I always buy industrial belts and have never had a problem. Our Grasshopper mule belt is $75 from Grasshopper and $15 from our local industrial supplier. $35 Toro PTO drive belts are $8.

It's easy to figure out what type of belt you have. there are three types of belts:

Fractional horsepower with cross sections of 2L, 3L, 4L, 5L
Conventional Industrial Belts (A,B,C,D)
and narrow profile industrial belts (3V,5V,8V)

Any of these profiles may be notched which would add a "V" to the belt number (such as 3VX). most people think the notches are to add "grip" they're really just to let the belt bend around a smaller pulley.

The length is given in inches for the industrial belts (a B100 is a B profile 100 inches long, a 3V66 is a 3V profile 66 inches long) the fractional horsepower belts use inches plus an extra zero. (2L220 is a 2L belt 22" long)

When measuring belts, don't measure around the outside or inside, the outside of the belt will be too big and the inside will be too small. You need to figure out how to measure at the "neutral axis" That's where they put the reinforcing cords inside the belt. Industrial suppliers will have a measureing tool that's really just two pulleys that can be slid apart with a ruler painted on the front.

Wow.........steller response my friend, stick with aftermarket it's the way to go, no doubt.

Cheers

topsites
06-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Wow I tell you, this is a lifesaver, I am so sick and tired of paying $50+ a belt, more so with all belt driven Wb's, the blade belts aren't much fun, either. I do get the smaller trans belts at Napa, $12 instead of $20, but that's about all they carry.

It is a cross-town drive for me to the nearest Grainger, but come July or August I'll pull a couple of belts off and for that kind of savings I'll gladly make the trip.

SSS 18734
06-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the helpful responses!

mauler01
06-14-2007, 04:56 AM
best belt place ever www.bestorq.com
they willmakeyou custom sizes if they dont have yours listed, but they have so many i doubt youll need to do that.
i had bought my toro belts there before for $7-9 each