PDA

View Full Version : florida folks and wood mulch

muddstopper
06-07-2007, 12:48 AM
I dont know whats the reason, but it seems that when people move to my area from Florida, none of them wants to use wood mulch around their homes. Is there a particualr reason for this? They all seem to want to use stone or gravel. The small pea gravel cost me $90 a ton plus delivery because it has to be hualed in long distance and that makes for a hard sell. Last job I estimated would have required 60 tons or abut $5400 for just the stone, that didnt fly to well. I am just courious why the Florida folks dont like the wood mulch.

martinfan06
06-07-2007, 06:15 AM
Main reason is bugs. I tend not to really believe it but these pest guys run around and say oh you have mulch around your going to have termites but i can spray for x amount of $$ and youll be fine. So they got most people especially the older ones scared that mulch brings termites.

EMJ
06-07-2007, 08:29 PM
It is not a matter of if you will get termites, it is a matter of when. That is just the way it is in Florida

martinfan06
06-08-2007, 06:28 AM
Okay but I dont belive mulch is a major player in it they just use that as a sales pitch good for them bad for us.