PDA

View Full Version : Results of Iron - How Fast ?

EdTLawn
06-07-2007, 02:19 AM
How long would it take to start seeing the grass green up after applying iron sulfate ? I am using iron sulfate green crystals in a concentrated solution and applied with a garden sprayer at 30 teaspoons/gallon setting. I can smell the iron/rust smell and it even stains my shirt to a rust color.

Yes, I guess the grass is greener on the other side ...not !

teeca
06-07-2007, 07:50 AM
24-48hrs, depending on how activly growing the lawn is at time of application.

Nathan Robinson
06-07-2007, 09:19 PM
thats crap. no 24-48 hours. Iron helps the grass carry oxygen but it usually takes 5-9 days for the green to pop. you cannot burn a lawn with iron so use plenty and use it often. It last about 3 weeks in most cases....

DUSTYCEDAR
06-07-2007, 09:28 PM
u can turn a lawn black with to much iron

Nathan Robinson
06-07-2007, 09:31 PM
that is true as well. if you spray it in low volume it will turn so dark it appears black!

teeca
06-07-2007, 09:45 PM
thats crap. no 24-48 hours. Iron helps the grass carry oxygen but it usually takes 5-9 days for the green to pop. you cannot burn a lawn with iron so use plenty and use it often. It last about 3 weeks in most cases....

well i apply it as a liquid (ferrmec ac) and i get resualts in 1-2 days if the lawn is growing and is waterd. so... i guess you need to eat your crap :hammerhead:

Nathan Robinson
06-07-2007, 09:51 PM
fine Teeca, I will eat my crap. The cost of food is to high anyhow! I spray as well. you must have that special grass and special iron where you live....

ampeg76
06-07-2007, 10:24 PM
u can turn a lawn black with to much iron

yes sir yes sir, seen that before:)

dwost
06-07-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm picking up a sprayer this weekend and will begin doing Iron apps to my yard. Where do you guys get your concentrate from? I've found a couple sites online where I can get a gallon of chelated for about $40. Is that a decent price??

unit40
06-07-2007, 10:27 PM
I ran some soil tests and found I needed some micro-nutrients including iron at specific levels. I found Lesco iron-plus to be a perfect product. had everything I needed at the right percentages/ratios. Only problem is I have to stretch a 50 lb. bag over an acre. I have to treat 40 acres. Ran two bags through the spreader until i got it calibrated right. Problem is I can't see the pattern but want uniform coverage. It is a lighter material than a poly-plus turf fertilizer. This is going to be a tuff app, I don't want any streaking.

DUSTYCEDAR
06-07-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm picking up a sprayer this weekend and will begin doing Iron apps to my yard. Where do you guys get your concentrate from? I've found a couple sites online where I can get a gallon of chelated for about $40. Is that a decent price??

go to lesco

EdTLawn
06-08-2007, 01:51 AM
Isn't iron chelated unbroken and takes longer than iron sulfate ?

I can find iron chelated at most garden places, but the green iron sulfate crystals is much more difficult to find.

teeca
06-08-2007, 07:48 AM
chelated is better, more readily avaible for plant up take.

EdTLawn
06-08-2007, 03:38 PM
chelated is better, more readily avaible for plant up take.

Is that appiled diluted in water or as straight granules ?

Nathan Robinson
06-08-2007, 06:16 PM
cant get straight iron in granulars. its an emulsifiable concentrate micro mix...

Ric
06-08-2007, 06:40 PM
fine Teeca, I will eat my crap. The cost of food is to high anyhow! I spray as well. you must have that special grass and special iron where you live....

Nathan

I hate to reply to you because you are always Right in your own mind.

Yes different species of turf will respond quicker than other to Iron and other chemicals. I see this big time between Bahia and St Augustine. Whether chelated or Iron Sulfate Bahia will change color as you spray it.

timturf
06-09-2007, 08:47 PM
I think we sometimes get too hung up on color!!!

Ric
06-10-2007, 02:07 AM
I think we sometimes get too hung up on color!!!

Tim

Color Aah Yes. Why do you think Scotts does such a big business with Bounds S Turf Builder 29-2-3??? You and I know what a joke that blend is, However many reading here don't.

Two things that make homeowners happy are Weed Feed Lawns and DARK GREEN LAWNS. We are slaves to our customers and must seek even darker green lawns. That is just a fact of business not agronomics

ampeg76
06-10-2007, 02:46 AM
Tim

Color Aah Yes. Why do you think Scotts does such a big business with Bounds S Turf Builder 29-2-3??? You and I know what a joke that blend is, However many reading here don't.

Two things that make homeowners happy are Weed Feed Lawns and DARK GREEN LAWNS. We are slaves to our customers and must seek even darker green lawns. That is just a fact of business not agronomics

totally agree with ever word:)

and most joe blows over apply by a long shot, seen it way to many times, if "x" amount is good then double the amount is better!

timturf
06-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Tim

Two things that make homeowners happy are Weed Feed Lawns and DARK GREEN LAWNS. Still, we still get too hung up on DARK GREEN color, and a total weed free lawn, homeowner needs to understand their could be a few weeds present

Ric
06-10-2007, 12:07 PM
homeowner needs to understand their could be a few weeds present

Tim

FEW is the key word here. Actually many customers will not even see grassy weeds during the growing season. But Broad leafs are a totally different story. The problem I have with Grassy weeds is our year round growing season. When winter comes many of the grassy weeds dye off or go dormant causing large patches of brown.

TG/CL and companies like them have over treated lawns for year causing thatch build and all the problems related to over fertilization just to SELL the GREEN that the customer is looking for. Educating the customer falls into another ball game and is not always a profitable undertaking.

timturf
06-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Tim

FEW is the key word here. Actually many customers will not even see grassy weeds during the growing season. But Broad leafs are a totally different story. The problem I have with Grassy weeds is our year round growing season. When winter comes many of the grassy weeds dye off or go dormant causing large patches of brown.

TG/CL and companies like them have over treated lawns for year causing thatch build and all the problems related to over fertilization just to SELL the GREEN that the customer is looking for. Educating the customer falls into another ball game and is not always a profitable undertaking.

I find these are the majority of my customers, and yes they pay for my knowledge, and it's very profitable. But I'm not as large of company as many would think! Yes, you can make a great living being small but specialize!

ampeg76
06-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Tim

the branch near me serves a "cocktail" of 46-0-0 and iron pretty much year round:) the lawns slowly thin out and look pathetic(stress, thatch build up)

Ric
06-11-2007, 01:13 AM
the branch near me serves a "cocktail" of 46-0-0 and iron pretty much year round:) the lawns slowly thin out and look pathetic(stress, thatch build up)

Look at the Bright side. The lawn becomes stress and you up sell a renovation or Sod Job. While you are at it, you might as well upgrade the Irrigation system. Etc Etc. Besides the spray company has already made enough money off that customer.

ampeg76
06-11-2007, 03:41 AM

Look at the Bright side. The lawn becomes stress and you up sell a renovation or Sod Job. While you are at it, you might as well upgrade the Irrigation system. Etc Etc. Besides the spray company has already made enough money off that customer.

no disputing that!

as many have stated before, trugreen does the marketing, and i pick up the business! so i hope they stay around to float more business my way