PDA

View Full Version : best blades for a cub cadet tank?

gandk06
06-07-2007, 01:26 PM
I have read several threads about different peoples opinions about different types of blades but it seems that so much depends on the machine that they are running. What one person hates the next guy loves but it is on a different machine. So my question is for people running Tanks/Ztwos, what blade seems to work the best for you?

Right now I am running the factory blades and depending on the grass type I am not always happy with the finished cut.

Any input would be great.
Thanks

wriken
06-07-2007, 08:52 PM
The factory one does great for us, or these http://expressmowerparts.com/detail.aspx?ID=484,
There's also a place that sells them for 7.00 apiece, fo the M-60 that is. I wiil check my other computer to see if I have the web page on it.

wriken
06-07-2007, 08:53 PM
here it is

http://www.mowpart.com/

Envy Lawn Service
06-07-2007, 10:21 PM
I have read several threads about different peoples opinions about different types of blades but it seems that so much depends on the machine that they are running. What one person hates the next guy loves but it is on a different machine. So my question is for people running Tanks/Ztwos, what blade seems to work the best for you?

Right now I am running the factory blades and depending on the grass type I am not always happy with the finished cut.

Any input would be great.
Thanks

Sounds to me like you are the next guy in line for my tutorial on how to set up this deck so that it works as great for you as it does for me. This deck is "unlike" the others in design and layout, and will basically cut 'marginally' just like all the others if they are adjusted like them. This will all make sense later after reading some more....

The information is here, as I have provided to others who were "partially" satisfied with the performance. Just do a search for it, and if you can't find it, let me know.

gandk06
06-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys.

looks like I have some reading to do.

Grant

gandk06
06-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Envy,

I have been searching for your posts on how to adjust the deck to get it perfect but you have so many post on these mowers I can't seem to find the one's on this topic.

Thanks,
Grant

Nosmo
06-08-2007, 10:39 AM
I'd like to locate that thread too. Been doing a search under different topics -- deck adjustments etc but I haven't found it yet.

Nosmo

Envy Lawn Service
06-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Sorry... I've been absent a while... let me see what I can find....

Envy Lawn Service
06-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Dang.... I'm having trouble finding it too... but here is a copy of a PM that will help.

Pay particular attention to the part about deck rake.
These decks are different and do not need or like a lot of rake front to back.

Hey, I adjusted the rake and it has helped a lot!!!!

Hey, is it just my machine or me expecting to much out of it, or could it be that spring came about 2 weeks early and we are cutting off more than "normal"? I just cant seem to get the clumps to not apear! I was cutting my grass and i was only cutting about 1/4-1/2 inch off of it and i still had a couple clumps. Now i did install a trimmer trap blade blocker and the bolts extend a little bit into the discharge shoot but would that cause the clumps? I measured front to back and the blades are about 1/4 higher in the back. Dont get me wrong, this mower gives a real nice cut and stripe... but i cant have the clumps like it is giving me. I would think that there would be some clumps when i am cutting 4+ inches off but not 1/4. Please help!

Thanks Craig.

Nah... that's not normal.

You are in Indiana... so you are not cutting any warm season grass right? Just fescue? What are you cutting?

I think we already talked about your RPM's being 3800?
So I think that is covered.

It has the 3" wide highlifts installed right?

The discharge kicker baffle at the rear of the discharge opening... it's in place right?... and mounted correctly?

As for the blade blocker, I really don't know anything about it. Is that the one that goes on under your existing discharge shield?

Speaking of discharge shields... you have removed yours right? Or have it flipped up out of the way while mowing?

Double check your PTO-to-Deck belt routing too.
Ensure that the tension pulley is against the OUTSIDE, of that belt towards the trim side.

If none of these things turn up anything, you'll have to try adjusting the rake a little. To do this, you'll loosen the rear nut on both threaded rods that run front-to-back.

Mark the nuts with a black marker or something.
Back them off one full turn.
Lift the deck up and down a few times to settle it out
Re-measure the rake.
This should reduce the rake some.
If it went down 1/16" or 1/8" then tighten the jam-nut and try it.

These decks have a big response to small changes in rake, like 1/8". It is possible that the combination of your spring conditions and your rake setting could be causing the clumps... maybe...

Understand that when you have more rake in the deck... like 1/4" or more, all the cutting is done on the front swing of the blades, and on the rear swing they are hitting nothing. This is good for reducing drag on the engine. HOWEVER, since all the cutting is done on the front side with more rake, this often causes a high concentration of clippings in the front of the deck. These slam into things and eachother, causing the clumps. With your discharge shield up, you would probably notice a tight vertical spray of clippings coming right out the front part of the discharge opening.

This tight pattern stuff can cause the clumps in some conditions. Reducing the rake, you'll start to see a change in the discharge pattern coming directly out of the deck... and the clumps go away.

The only thing that bugs me about this whole thing is that I have never had any trouble with clumping to your extremes out of my mowers. Even when not tuned to it's best, it still outperforms the other brands. So I'm still sorta scratching my head on this one.

Nosmo
06-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Thank you Envy for your reply. Went back through 14 pages of threads of search using "Envy" as the object and I certainly got caught up on my reading of older threads.

Some were really comical when we talked about Lesco/Tanks and you know who would try to ruffle our feathers (Real Slow) hah.

Been having a little trouble with the cut on my 54". I'll get it worked out though. I've checked air pressure, blades are sharp so I believe it is the deck needing a tune up. No problem with clumping -- just in some passes it is
leaving a rut.

It may be I am crowding the passes with the tires upon tires tracks.

Thanks again for your reply and you have a good one today.

Nosmo

Nosmo
06-09-2007, 05:09 PM
I am using the stock blades and I went back over the deck again this morning. Something didn't look right on the height adjustment on the right side. So I checked the parts book and the right spring and lock nuts looked just like the in the book.

Long story made short --- I was missing a lock nut on the very end of the threaded bolt #36. Went ahead and re-sharpened the blades, checked the blade heights front and back. Made the necessary adjustment to the left side and put a new lock nut where one was missing.

Checked the cut with a few passes --- much better.

Nosmo

gandk06
06-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks Envy,

I will try that out this week, been too busy to try this weekend.

Thanks

daveintoledo
06-11-2007, 02:35 PM
i run the deck at 1/8 inch rake, thats it, looks beautiful....