PDA

View Full Version : Lost 2 accounts.. you think people are cutting expenses because of gas prices?

GreenGrassEarnsCash
06-07-2007, 01:28 PM
I have lost two long time accounts in the past week.. do you guys think that gas prices are driving people to cut unnecessary expenses? has anyone else had this happen?

Trimmer Man007
06-07-2007, 01:30 PM
It could be anything really. They found someone willing to do it for $5, gas prices like you said, or they could have even gotten their own equipment.

GreenGrassEarnsCash
06-07-2007, 01:50 PM
they are both mowing it themselves, one says he wants to start bagging it and the other said his dad gave him his old mower, but i have to wonder if it is really just that they are trying to save money because of gas prices.

FiveOJoe
06-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Gas prices.....and Insurance prices, food prices, electricity prices, taxes, mortgages, childcare, tuition, water, furniture, car repair, clothing, license plates, bank fees, medical, beer, pets, tolls, telephone. . . >

I think lawncare ends up being one of those things they think they can do thierselves when things get tight.

MarcSmith
06-07-2007, 02:01 PM
never forget we are int he luxury service industry..... for 300 bucks initial investment and $40 of gas the average homeowner can cut their grass....for a year....

The same low barriers of entry that make this business so easy to get into are also making it easy to homeowners to cut their own grass....

mrbobian
06-07-2007, 02:01 PM
A couple of weeks ago one of my customers said he didn't need me anymore and i was super dissapointed because I had been mowing that lawn since i was 11. He said that he was planning to move here full time (its just a weekend house) so he is going to do it himself. But i normally would mow it every thursday and i looked at it today... 8" tall. We'll see if he asks me to start mowing it again.

GreenGrassEarnsCash
06-07-2007, 02:02 PM
anyone have any ideas on how to pick up new accounts midseason?

MuleCutter
06-07-2007, 07:08 PM

if you do a good job and are dependable.... your work will speak for itself and get you jobs. i never did any advertising except for these two reasons. this of course leads to word-of-mouth advertising which IS the best form. just continue to do a good job and more jobs will come.

rodfather
06-07-2007, 07:27 PM

as for referrals

johndeerefan
06-07-2007, 09:47 PM
ya with prices of everything going sky high people are starting to cut expenses.

RICHIE K
06-08-2007, 06:57 AM
We have had more people call us for our service in the past few weeks, however, we are not taking any new mowing customers this year this past Monday we just signed a cemetery big bucks$$$$$