PDA

View Full Version : Going Solo

Iowa Seeder
06-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Well, I did it. I made the mistake and went into business with 2 friends. This could be the biggest mistake I've ever made. I'm going to ask for a buy out or to just end this nightmare and go it alone. The reasons for this are to numerous to list. I've read post in the past not to try this but didn't listen. Any good way to end this without a big blow-up or worse yet a physical altercation? :confused:

toac
06-07-2007, 01:52 PM
How much time and money have you invested?

grassnazi1
06-07-2007, 01:55 PM
it's happened a million times to a million different people.... Might i suggest you write down EVERYTHING you want to say and WHY you feel this partnership isnt going the way you would like it to go, sit them down and BE professional, anyone will listen to anyone if they are being treated with respect, In the past, If I needed to end a business relationship, which this is, I would take them out to lunch in a public place and explain my situation, i would also give them a chance to fix my concerns, just because you dont see the light now and want out doesnt mean it has to be over, do they both know how your feeling? Your partner(s) may be feeling the exact same way and everyone involved is just letting it sit inside them and burn, the sooner its handled the better, the more professional you come off, the less likely you guys will be throwing punches.... Hope this helps.

little_chris
06-07-2007, 01:56 PM
one ship that will not sail...... a partnerSHIP....

txgrassguy
06-07-2007, 02:04 PM
one ship that will not sail...... a partnerSHIP....

Not necessarily true at all.
Approach this relationship as a business venture and model it accordingly.
The agreement needs to be in writing, with everyone's part clearly explained.
That said, should the relationship sour, everyone knows what to expect from the others.
In your case I would write down all of your concerns, questions, etc - revise them a couple of times so you know you are not missing something.
Then have a sit down and go from there.
I, myself, would not conduct this meeting in a public place, rather in your shop office or some place you guys can hash out the details without bothering others.

bohiaa
06-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Hopefully you all can exit friends.

sounds like yall didn't consult an lawyer b4 your venture.....
just have to put it to them bluntly, and let the chips fall where they may...

You may want to have several items of proptery at your disposal before telling them ..... maybe like a few lawn mowers and have some of the co. money...

Good luck

Iowa Seeder
06-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice. The icing on the cake was today. I was to meet one of the partners to mow a property we maintain. Well he never showed up. Called me 2 hours after I was done to tell me he just got out of jail. Domestic abuse on his soon to be ex-wife. The main issue here is both partners not taking this business seriously and wanting to learn about the business. When customers ask them about seeding, mowing, hydro-seeding or fert. they stand there dumb founded. I know most of this isn't rocket science but they should want too know what there doing and selling to customers.

MeadowsLawnCare
06-08-2007, 03:35 PM
where in iowa are you at seeder/

Iowa Seeder
06-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Cedar Rapids area.

fiveoboy01
06-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Well if they're not wanting to do the work and put forth the effort, then maybe it's not a big deal to them if you buy them out?

It's going to depend a lot on how much equipment you have between the 3 of you and how many accounts you have.

I'm in a partnership and it stinks. However my partner is my brother so we make it work most of the time. Anyone else I would have bought them out long time ago.

bohiaa
06-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks for all the advice. The icing on the cake was today. I was to meet one of the partners to mow a property we maintain. Well he never showed up. Called me 2 hours after I was done to tell me he just got out of jail. Domestic abuse on his soon to be ex-wife. The main issue here is both partners not taking this business seriously and wanting to learn about the business. When customers ask them about seeding, mowing, hydro-seeding or fert. they stand there dumb founded. I know most of this isn't rocket science but they should want too know what there doing and selling to customers.

Good for you.........sounds like it will all work out for ya......

best of luck