PDA

View Full Version : How long does your mower blades last before you need to replace them?

rblantonjr
06-07-2007, 04:44 PM
The blades that I have tend to wear the lift section away before the blades cutting edge is worn out. I may get a season out of 4 sets of blades.:usflag:

flathead
06-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Try sand (flat) blades. The wings get worn off on high lifts around here after 25-30 hours (I sharpen them about every 8 hours). Also, check out Rotary brand blades, a set of three 16.25" x 5/8" center holes costs me about $26.00.

rodfather
06-07-2007, 07:25 PM
The blades that I have tend to wear the lift section away before the blades cutting edge is worn out. I may get a season out of 4 sets of blades.:usflag:

up here it is just the opposite

MOturkey
06-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Same here. The lift portion would probably last forever. Now, the rocks sure play heck with the cutting edge, though.

bohiaa
06-07-2007, 10:00 PM
about 3 to 4 weeks with lift blades......

just went to flat myself.

Bigray
06-07-2007, 10:21 PM
sounds about right. 4 sets / per season ...

fiveoboy01
06-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Odd, the lift section on my blades seems to last forever. I'll have to look closer at them though.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to use flat blades. Decks are designed to work with vacuum, and I'd think the cut quality would suck with flat blades, wouldn't it?

KTO Enterprises
06-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Odd, the lift section on my blades seems to last forever. I'll have to look closer at them though.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to use flat blades. Decks are designed to work with vacuum, and I'd think the cut quality would suck with flat blades, wouldn't it?

I would think so. Ill just keep replacing blades due to lifts worn off before I sacrifice cut quality. I would think a flat blade would not pick up the grass to cut it level. The sand around my area kills the lifts. I have ditched most of my crappy sandy accounts and have more landscaped yards now. I have doubled blade life on that fact alone.

Bigray
06-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Def. the way too go when possible KTO.

Ramairfreak98ss
06-08-2007, 12:57 AM
up here it is just the opposite

yeah WHOA, what are you guys cutting 30 hours of beach mowing lol...

I have currently 139 DECK mowing hours on my 61" Ferris. I only have two sets of blades so far on it. BUT thats only because i was trying out gators vs my high lifts.

I had standard high lifts on for first 50hrs, then gators from 50-95hrs then back to my high lifts until now at 139 hours.

I on average sharpen them once a month for mowing, the machine mows every thursday and friday all day long. After roughly 8 mowing days, theyre dulled up somewhat and ill sharpen them. Both sets of blades would last me 400hrs on the machine id guestimate.

LCPullman
06-08-2007, 02:48 AM
I usually replace blades because they get sprung or else the corners get rounded too much to grind out and I start getting between blades streaks. On my 21" Toros, the sail and the blade last about the same time.

dgfitz
06-08-2007, 06:38 AM
[QUOTE=Ramairfreak98ss;1856594]yeah WHOA, what are you guys cutting 30 hours of beach mowing lol...

Like Kto says, there is a lot of sand around the south, and even this red clay
stuff that magically turns into sand when it is dry, and the best solution, aside
from avioding those accounts, is to use flat blades, and keep those blades
sharp.