PDA

View Full Version : Just Starting Out

NYLAWNMAN01
06-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to say this is a great site and I have learned alot already just reading all the posts the last week. I am currently living in Queens New York and my wife and I are going to be moving down south either South Carolina or Florida in the next year or so and I want to start my lawn business part time at first then hopefully full time. I have a few questions for you guys hopefully you can help. Here they are: (please keep in mind I never did any landscaping except cutting my lawn here which i enjoy very much)

1) Could someone give me a rundown of the basic tools needed to start?(already have trailer and truck)

2) Is it ok to use craftsman or sears brand equipment (trimmer, edger, mower etc.)for the first year or so till I get my feet wet, also minimum inch needed for mower (21,36 inch etc.)

3) What are some good name brands for the beginers?

4) Are the 2 locations named above all year round business?

5) Is there certain licenses needed for these 2 states for any chemicals used ?

I think thats it for now...Thanks for helping out a newbie

Matt

Poncho25
06-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Hey Matt and welcome to lawnsite.

To answer some of your questions, now these are just my opinion on it so take it with a grain of salt :)

Basic tools needed, Truck, trailer, Mower, Edger, String trimmer, blower.

The home owner stuff you have will start you out ok, but will not be good for long. There are tons of name brands that everyone loves, I personally use nothing but Stihl equipment and Toro and Gravly mowers.

The locations are pretty much year round work as long as you provide good service and added service for the winter time where u don't cut as much, as it helps keep clients on a yearly contract.

As far as chemicals are concerned, Forget about it in the state of Fla unless you have worked with a chemical company that does that type of work for a min of I believe its 3-5 years before you can even take the exam. You can get your limited license to use stuff like round up in beded areas pretty much only.

You also should get licensed and insured if your planning on doing this legit!!

GL

KTO Enterprises
06-07-2007, 05:02 PM
1: Good straight shaft trimmer, pole hedger, driveway edger, backpack blower.
husqvarna has a decent line available at lowes or homedepot. I would not recommend echo. I have had no luck with their equipment.

2. if you must start on a homeowner type mower, start on a rear engine snapper. They are very durable and hold up much better to the abuse that a crapsman or a troy bilt

When you get some cash flow look for these brands: Stihl, redmax, Scag, John deere (not the ones at lowes) Exmark, Snapper Pro, and Ferris

4 I am in south carolina and work all year round, Florida would be even better for this.

5. Yes have to be licensed to apply pesticides and fertilizers in both states.

stephenslawncare
06-07-2007, 05:06 PM
1. Basic tools: Mower, Gas Trimmer, Gas Blower (backpack or handheld) This is the minimum, remember to buy ALL commercial equipment as soon as possible. It will pay off in the long run. You a may also want to consider a hedge trimmer, chain saw, and edger if you cant edge w/ your trimmer.

2. Yes its fine to use that equipment just be prepared to buy new equipment within a month. For your first commercial mower get a 32 or 36 depending on the gate sizes in you area. (remember...GET A HYDRO!!!)

3. There arent really and brands that are that much better than others. its all personal preference and dealer support. I would recommend Redmax but thats just me.

4. I dont live there but i believe that it is year round business or pretty close to that (10-11 months of the year) Just line up extra work for the slow winter months. (hedge trimming, Cleanups, etc...)

5.Im pretty sure both those states have regulations. Just check the local EPA. I think thats who controls it.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Vikings
06-07-2007, 05:11 PM
When I started lawns I bought one Non-commercial mower, then I had to buy another as a spare. I HAD to buy 'cause the first one broke and it was a Toro Super Recycler (not cheap).
I wish I had put in some extra cash and got the 21" proline.

NYLAWNMAN01
06-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Guys thanks for the help this helped me out....matt

Bigray
06-07-2007, 08:58 PM
C'mon dw. to fl. i'll work you/train you, their is lot of work and the weather is great. may even sell you my bus. in a year if yur here by then. it's Greatttttttttt.