PDA

View Full Version : What to charge ??

M&S_Lawncare
06-07-2007, 05:38 PM
I have a new customer that wants her rock bed all pulled up and weeded and a new weed barier put in place and rocks reinstalled. The 1st bed measures 35ft long 7ft by the dock and 3ft other end. The second bed measures 33ft long 7ft at the dock and 3ft at the end. I dont know how much I should charge per hour for the removal and reinstall.. I have attached pics also.

Thanks for all your help.
http://www.data-hosting.eu/images.php?img=land1.jpg
http://www.data-hosting.eu/images.php?img=land2.jpg

tthomass
06-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Total up every possible monthly expense you have.
-insurances (liability, car, truck, workers comp etc)
-fuel
-car/truck payments
-salaries and so on...

Then divide by 20 (4 weeks in a month, 5 days working a week).

Now you know how much it costs you to say, "hello, I'm M&S Lawncare" each day. Figure how much $ you want to profit after all expenses.

Total your daily operating expense, your profit and your material = how much to charge for your job.

M&S_Lawncare
06-08-2007, 02:12 AM
ok, but what is the going rate per hour for hardscape ??

Thanks

DVS Hardscaper
06-08-2007, 07:15 AM
I love these "I don't know what to charge" threads!

Would you like for us to coach you on how to initiate whoopie with your signifigant other, too?

LOL

Sorry, couldn't resist! :walking:

M&S_Lawncare
06-08-2007, 10:03 AM
ha ha ha I wasn't sure on what an average price runs, but was thinking around 35hr. But I see there is alot of smart @ss in here !!! I would think if you were wanting help people would try to help you out also. JMO.

Thanks

DVS Hardscaper
06-08-2007, 05:08 PM
no one can tell another what to charge, unless we have all your financials and prepare a report.

no two bidnesses have the same expenses.

Just as any other business, whether its grass cuttin, landscaping, hangin window blinds, or selling ice cream cones - you need to know you annual expenes, you need to know how many production hours will be turned in the field annually - and from there you'll have to do the calculations.

Had a guy call me today.

Wanted a price for a 100 s.f. patio.

By the time we load the truck, drive to the job, have mats delivered, stage, etc., our price would be around $3,000.00.

But someone else could easily do it for $1900, and will be content with the profit.

You gotz to no ur num-bers

Littletruck
06-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Does not look like you will be getting an answer for the going rate in your area... And I am not much help either. But being that I find myself in this position allot I know how you feel. My costs have nothing to do with my rate, seems I am pretty much debt free, so using these guys formulas I should be able to do it for free ehh? If you are doing it with a shovel and a bucket figure out how much your pain and suffering are worth..

IF you need to rent a bobcat then that's a starting point, is this on a steep grade? Do you pay insurance?

I understand that if you are new you cant fall back on "the years expenses" but have you just considered asking the client if they have had other bids or what they were thinking? IF you really don't know what to charge then that may give you a place to start. IF the client is honestly figuring $200 then just go home (unless you really really need the $200 LOL) or counter with what you feel your time is worth...

andrewcarrigan
06-10-2007, 02:05 PM
hi there,first thing stop charging by the hour .charge for the job, if the client wants it by the houry say you only quote by the job. if you charge by the hour you would make more working for someone else.also charging by the hour the client will think your making to much. so if your just startig out,and you can do a good job and can get done in a day by hand i would go for $500-$700 good luck

M&S_Lawncare
06-14-2007, 02:09 AM
OK LETS SEE IF THEY STAY NOW....
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j46/yz-daddy/land2.jpghttp://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j46/yz-daddy/land1.jpg

Mike33
06-14-2007, 10:40 PM
all based on location. So does everyone start in the landscape business now get a phone call about a particular job, then tell there customer to wait to they can get on lawn site that night so there web buddies can price the job?
I sure didnt start that way.
Mike

M&S_Lawncare
06-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Mike, No I just wanted to see if I was in the ballpark and see what some of you would quote it out for. The job is completed and I dont think I willl do this kind of job again unless I have 4 guys to help !!!! Tearing out was easy its replacing the rocks thats the hard part, especially when the sun is out and 90deg. We also have the pics to prove it was a warm one out !!!!