PDA

View Full Version : 17hp kawasaki plug goes bad???? help SOS

ashs inc
06-07-2007, 06:38 PM
hey guys I want to first of all say a big thank you for all the help you have been on this mower. I got the gas from leaking from the carb. now my problem is the left plug keeps fouling out. It will run for about 15 mins then fouls out and starts missing and skipping and running like crap. thanks again

Restrorob
06-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Is the plug dry and sooty looking ?

Are you replacing the plug or just cleaning the same one and re-installing ?

Does that cylinder have good spark ?

There are two possibility's, The coil could be weak on that cylinder or the valves could need adjusting.

The use of a multimeter other than the Kawasaki may result in slightly different readings but as long as all test are close to spec and not WAY off it should be just fine.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FH/FH451Through721CoilTest.jpg

Valve adjustment procedure;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/FH500VValveAdjustment.jpg

ashs inc
06-07-2007, 09:47 PM
the plug was a little wet looking i think. it might have been sooty. It has pretty good spark. I got a spark plug tester hook it up to the plug boot and clip it to the engine and crank. It will run but run like crap but you can see the spark. When i hook the plug tester up to the other plug it wont crank at all because the other plug is fouled out. I can put a new plug in and it will run for a few minutes then foul out.

THANKS RESTRO ROB YOUR THE MAN

ashs inc
06-08-2007, 04:18 PM
ok the plug is real sooty looking. i have gone thru 3 plugs. whats the deal?? is it the valves???? thanks for you help!

Restrorob
06-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Since you have already been through the carb and only one cylinder is fouling that kind a rules out the carb, You have checked spark and that appears fine and installed different plugs so those things could be ruled out.

For no longer than it takes I would check the valve Clarence on both cylinders to rule that out.

ashs inc
06-08-2007, 06:12 PM
restorob I am by no means a mechanic. checking the valves scares the crap out of me. what is all involved in doing this? where do I am start? take the head off?

Restrorob
06-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Can you not see this procedure I posted in my second post ?

The heads do not have to be removed to adjust the valves.

The only above average tool you need is a set of feeler gauges and they are cheap from any auto parts store.

This gives step by step de-structions http://www.gtr-game.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

If you feel un-comfortable doing it contact your local shop and let them do it, It only takes around a half hour or less.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/FH500VValveAdjustment.jpg

ashs inc
06-09-2007, 11:59 AM
restrorob. got a questions for you. what would cause my valves to need to be adjusted?

heritage
06-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Wear of the valve face/seat will take up lash on the rocker arm adjustment.

Pete D.

Restrorob
06-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Just as Pete explained, Along with wear on the cam lobes and tappets.

Kawasaki recommends checking/adjusting valves every 300 hrs. I'd be willing to bet yours have never been checked/adjusted, Which is all the more reason to check them since you don't know the history of this unit.

ashs inc
06-14-2007, 02:38 PM
restorob,

I took the valve cover off and i have no idea what to do. so i took it to the local shop and the guy looked at it and said i need a new engine. wtf??? new engine???? he was like its the rings not the valve adjustment. so what do you think i should do?

Bill Kapaun
06-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Get a second opinion!
It sounds like the head gasket has blown on that side. MUCH cheaper to repair than a new engine".

Ironic
06-14-2007, 05:02 PM
definitely get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. He may have been able to see that you weren't sure what was going on, and he had dollar bills running through his head.
one thing I recommend you do, is buy or borrow books on the types of equipment you have, and study study study.
Ignorance is cureable!

ashs inc
06-14-2007, 05:58 PM
head gasket??? mmmm when i took the cover off there were some oil on the valves is that normal?

ashs inc
06-14-2007, 05:59 PM
how do i change out the head gasket?

Restrorob
06-14-2007, 08:09 PM
ashs, Check your PM's......