PDA

View Full Version : seatbelt fines + law

americanlawn
06-07-2007, 07:56 PM
3 times during the past 2 years, our employees have been issued fines for not wearing seatbelts. We beat the charges EVERYTIME! Seems the young cops around here do not know the LAW...........Odd, but true. At least here,,,, if you make frequent stops and do not exceed 25 mph, you are NOT required to wear seatbelts. So I say HA HA to cops on this issue. I like cops (many are customers), but when they do not know the LAWS they enforce, I get a little concerned?? Odd, but very true. My problem regarding this issue is "every minute counts" when we guys are putting in long hours & weekends -- just the opposite of "government employees". I won't even get into the "school teacher issue + taxes"........

KTO Enterprises
06-07-2007, 08:19 PM
3 times during the past 2 years, our employees have been issued fines for not wearing seatbelts. We beat the charges EVERYTIME! Seems the young cops around here do not know the LAW...........Odd, but true. At least here,,,, if you make frequent stops and do not exceed 25 mph, you are NOT required to wear seatbelts. So I say HA HA to cops on this issue. I like cops (many are customers), but when they do not know the LAWS they enforce, I get a little concerned?? Odd, but very true. My problem regarding this issue is "every minute counts" when we guys are putting in long hours & weekends -- just the opposite of "government employees". I won't even get into the "school teacher issue + taxes"........

We have a farmers law in my state. Any 1 ton truck you dont have to have seat bet on at any time

JB1
06-07-2007, 08:22 PM
ANYBODY in my trucks WILL be wearing their seat belts periold.

d&rlawncare
06-07-2007, 08:54 PM
In MICHIGAN a frequent stop is defined as stops within 1/2 mile of each other. Speed is not a factor.

d&rlawncare
06-07-2007, 08:56 PM

But dont you have to go to court to beat these citations? "every minute counts" as you sit in court to fight it.

LindblomRJ
06-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Lets forego safety to save a minute. Get caught, get a ticket spend time trying to beat the ticket... Yeah real smart, real efficient. Get out of the ticket cause you can beat the system... Only someday get dead when it is preventable or injured think of all the time you saved then. Smart, real smart.

In South Dakota the fine is $20.00 and if you are over age 18 seatbelt violations are a secondary offense meaning you have to be stopped for something else. The fine does not go on your driving record and reported to insurance.

lawnmaniac883
06-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Seatbelt goes on everytime, takes 2 seconds, avoids any trouble with the law and could save your life. Makes sense to me.

DBL
06-07-2007, 10:38 PM
i almost never wear it and i should i see enough driving a tow truck...one time i was driving one and i pulled up on a accident for the state police and i had my seat belt on and i went to jump out and forgot it was on and almost hung myself getting out of the high truck and i couldnt reach to unhook it so i had to slide out it was pretty embarrasing

Darrin A.
06-08-2007, 12:12 AM
If it takes a whole minute to buckle up (which we all know it doesn't) and it takes 15 minutes to get pulled over and get the ticket (we all know it can take more than this) that's allready 45 minutes of downtime you lost. Doesn't make sense to me.
The only time I don't wear a belt is when I am going to a major (actual) emergency IN THE AMBULANCE i.e. heart attack, cpr in progress, dificulty breathing, where seconds really do count (I am a volunteer EMT) anything less, my belt gets put on asap.

Turf Terror
06-08-2007, 12:55 AM
My youngest son didn't think seatbelts were cool...
Crossing the centerline into oncoming traffic and having his head go through the windshield made him think otherwise...
The accident happened a few months ago....BUCKLE UP!!!

No internal injuries--no brain damage--a few broken bones in his face. The team of facial recontructive surgeons at Mass. General in Boston, put him back together nicely. They said they never saw anyone come in with such severe facial trauma who didn't have a brain injury. Scarring should be minimal. He needs another surgery to repair a droopy eyelid. I'm lucky he's alive.

Turf Terror
06-08-2007, 01:08 AM
Mods: I know these pictures may be graphic, but if it can get one person to buckle up--then it was worth it. Delete if you feel they are inappropriate.

LindblomRJ
06-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Been on enough accident scenes those make a point. IMO the pictures should stay. Yes he looks to be in rough shape however there are more graphic pictures out there.

N.H.BOY
06-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Only state in the union with no seat belt law----LIVE FREE OR DIE is our moto here in the great state of N.H. and nooooooooo seatbelt law for 18 over... I do wear mind though.:hammerhead:

lifetree
06-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Seatbelt goes on everytime, takes 2 seconds, avoids any trouble with the law and could save your life. Makes sense to me.

ABSOLUTELEY !!

americanlawn
06-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Yes, if we are ticketed for a seatbelt violation, we have to appear in court in order to speak our case . It certainly takes up our time, but when we do not break any law, I have a problem with the uneducated cop that took up our time -- it's the principal of the thing, cuz "we broke no law"....even though the "stupid cop" saw fit to write up an ILLEGAL violation. We present to the Judge our "invoices" which shows the fact that we have 5 times as many stops or more in a given neighborhood than ANY UPS driver. It never fails.....the charge is "thrown out". Sure - it wastes our time, plus our taxes pay for these poor judgements on the part of stupid law enforcement personel who should have known the LAW in the 1st place. (who trained them???) By the way, I have twice asked cops (at local convenient stores) if they knew "exceptions" regarding seatbelt laws"............neither did??????

II do most of the training, and it always includes the rules regarding wearing seatbelts. There are several exemptions regarding wearing seatbelts in this State. For years, I assumed that law enforcement was informed regarding the laws of my State.

POPO4995
06-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Your in my truck you better be wearing it! Dont need the downtime of getting stopped and its the law anyways. Click It Or Ticket in Illinois!:usflag:

d&rlawncare
06-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Yes, if we are ticketed for a seatbelt violation, we have to appear in court in order to speak our case . It certainly takes up our time, but when we do not break any law, I have a problem with the uneducated cop that took up our time -- it's the principal of the thing, cuz "we broke no law"....even though the "stupid cop" saw fit to write up an ILLEGAL violation. We present to the Judge our "invoices" which shows the fact that we have 5 times as many stops or more in a given neighborhood than ANY UPS driver. It never fails.....the charge is "thrown out". Sure - it wastes our time, plus our taxes pay for these poor judgements on the part of stupid law enforcement personel who should have known the LAW in the 1st place. (who trained them???) By the way, I have twice asked cops (at local convenient stores) if they knew "exceptions" regarding seatbelt laws"............neither did??????

II do most of the training, and it always includes the rules regarding wearing seatbelts. There are several exemptions regarding wearing seatbelts in this State. For years, I assumed that law enforcement was informed regarding the laws of my State.

I agree with what your saying. I do commercial enforcement and am trained in it. We have "regular cops" that give us commercial guys a bad name for "thinking" they know it all. Most regular cops dont want to say "im not sure" when asked a question.

If its one agency your having a problem with I would make an appointment or write a letter addressing this issue. Make them answer.

Take care

americanlawn
06-11-2007, 07:31 PM
The two culprits last year were: City of Ankeny and City of Johnston. Both City officers were young were unaware of State seatbelt laws. The Johnston officer was also unable to remember what type of vehicle he was driving when he pulled my (legally-driving employee) over when the judge asked him ---- hey, at least he was honest.

I'm not trying to pick on "cops" here, just the ignorance of the laws. Driving 5 mph to go one or two houses down does not require being buckled up here.

Current seatbelt fine here = $85 I think. Current helmet fine for motorcycles = "there isn't any". Go figure???

Rizzo
06-11-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm sure out of all the vehicles out there they were watching your guys driving 5 houses down and stopped them. True, frequent stops should be better defined in the code but most jurisdictions feel the frequent stops wording applies to postal carriers and delivery personnel of which all of them still wear thier belts. More likely that your guys were driving farther than you are letting on.... but maybe not. New officers are much more apt to look for any violation but in most places the judge would not give you the pass on the frequent stops deal. Cops don't have to wear the belt either according to code, but we still do...

LindblomRJ
06-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Rizzo I am glad you weighed in on this one. Once again the question should be about safety not about loophole in the law.

ffemt1271
06-24-2007, 05:09 PM
i always wear my seatbelt, especially when driving or riding in an emergency vehicle which is (70% more likely to be in an accident ) La. has a mandatory seatbelt law. PERIOD

americanlawn
07-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks all for your input. Some posters indicatated that we are using "loopholes" - suggesting we are trying to hide from the LAW (breaking laws)......that bothers me. "Loopholes" -- what is that??? Please explain. Please do, cuz Iowa Code 321.445 says you are WRONG. We abide by the LAW. PERIOD! nuf said I guess? rscvp

GreenT
07-02-2007, 02:31 AM
Thanks all for your input. Some posters indicatated that we are using "loopholes" - suggesting we are trying to hide from the LAW (breaking laws)......that bothers me. "Loopholes" -- what is that??? Please explain. Please do, cuz Iowa Code 321.445 says you are WRONG. We abide by the LAW. PERIOD! nuf said I guess? rscvp

I don't think you are getting it. I don't believe anyone is disputing the seatbelt laws in your state but rather the safety (or lack thereof) of not wearing them.

Think about this, you say your crew makes really frequent stops and you are not breaking the law. They know you feel strongly about this to the point of taking the time to prepare evidence and present it to a judge. Now, can you say with 100% certainty that your crew does wear their seatbelts when the law says they have to?

Wouldn't it be much easier, less time consuming, and safer for you, and them, if you had a policy of wearing seatbelts ALL the time.

It's about safety, not the law.

There is no law stoping me from being outside during an electrical storm; jumping from the roof of my house; eating spoiled chicken; letting my 5 year old ride my mower.... I just know it's not safe.

LindblomRJ
07-02-2007, 06:37 PM

I could care less about you and your states laws. You clearly miss the point on safety. Your insurance company must be proud of you.

As I stated earlier safety is of secondary importance to you. And you are clueless about whole cost of that mentality or the potential cost. In fact some business' have safety practices as a condition of employment, if you don't follow those safety practices they terminate your position with the company. Its cheaper than loss time and revenue and deductible on insurance.

I find it funny it took you three weeks to come up with a rebuttal to my post.

americanlawn
07-02-2007, 07:17 PM
I understand, and I instruct all employees to buckle up everytime. They also know the law, but when they risk getting a seatbelt ticket (cause they break the law), they pay the fine out of their own pocket. One the other hand - if they follow the rules, and they get a seatbelt ticket by mistake, I back my guys 100%. This means going to court & providing evidence. Even on private property such as shopping malls, I tell 'em to buckle up. I tell them how my brother-in-law got "t-boned" in a mall parking lot by a young lady...his car was totalled, and he was hospitalizied for injuries. We periodically train employees in driver safety, because we get a discount from our insurance carrier. We adjust mirrors and check for burned out lights every Friday. Each year, we get a rebate from this insurance carrier because we have yet caused an accident (got run into several times). Our insurance rep is actually the person that informed us about state seatbelt laws. I hope this clears this up. Thanks, and I understand where you're coming from. p.s. Our average rebate is about $3000 annually.

TCossuto
07-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Psh, here in GA I don't have to ever wear a seatbelt when I drive my old ranger. Cop pulled me over for it once, started writing a ticket when another officer rolled up and advised him (and me) of the law. Newer ranger is not exempt though.

Not that I really care, cause I usualy wear a seatbelt, just depends where I'm going.

americanlawn
07-12-2007, 06:10 PM
TCossuto....How about "Lawn Ranger"? I saw this name before, but not for a couple of years now. It might be a franchise? Great name though.