PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on sprayer

DGM
06-07-2007, 07:27 PM
I am looking to bring all my chemical apps in house. Would this be a good sprayer to start out with spraying spring & fall pre/post apps.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200329207_200329207

I am looking at features vs. price. So far this seems to pretty desent as far as that, but I have not actually used any big sprayers yet, all the properties we take care of has alot of sqft of turf.

Thanks for any info! :usflag:

indyturf
06-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Well it looks like Northern has improved their sprayers!(they needed to!) but it will probably cost $500-$600 for shipping! I would check Lesco, their should be one close to you. I recommend their space-saver 200 gal sprayer, they run about $3500 and there would be no shipping charge. very good design, fits in the upper half of a pick up and you have room left for other things!

LindblomRJ
06-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Doesn't TSC have Fimco? If there is a farm supply store close by it may be worth your while to take a look.

Nathan Robinson
06-07-2007, 08:18 PM
its a fair sprayer but there are better ones for that money available

DUSTYCEDAR
06-07-2007, 08:20 PM
lesco is a great sprayer i have 3 of them trying to save a buck will bite u later when u need parts and u will need parts

CHARLES CUE
06-07-2007, 08:38 PM
My vote is no i would not buy it for 2 reasons. Number 1 a hand crank hose real you will have the biggest arms in town and you could learn some new words trying to keep the hose straight.
And reason 2 the hole in the top of the tank is to small.It will make it hard to pour in products . i would look at lesco
hope this will help

Victor
06-07-2007, 08:55 PM
My vote is for a Gregson-Clarke skid sprayer. I tried talking my friend into buying one, but he bought a Lesco Spacesaver instead. Now he's trying to fix problems that I never had to deal with, since I bought a Gregson V-200, instead of a Spacesaver.

RigglePLC
06-07-2007, 09:58 PM
The space saver by Lesco is nice--but some repairs and manintenance are difficult. Installing new pump diaphragms has tight clearance--looks like you have to unbolt the motor and swing it out. Keep new diaphragms on hand.
Be sure you can get a reel that unwinds to the side. Electric reel is better.
Will you add wettable powder or fertilizer to tank? If so, paddle agitation is needed. If you use fertilizer--rust will be a problem. Plan how to get it on and off your truck.

Grandview
06-08-2007, 06:31 AM
I would spend the extra money and get a Z-spray or Permagreen. They are quicker and easier to use.

profigala
06-08-2007, 05:33 PM
if i were you id look at either a gregson-clark or a space saver. I have a lesco space saver, its good and all but have had to replace the diaphrams after 1 year of use, and yes you have to pull the whole unit from the tank to work on it comfortably. I wish they came with udor pumps. Our other truck has a udor pump that is 9 years old only thing replaced is the the poly popit, great pump. Oh yea plus i can fit an ARE truck cap over the space saver.

Ric
06-08-2007, 05:58 PM
DGM

Years ago I purchased a Northern sprayer and Had poor luck with the Frame rusting away. The hose reel was the first problem because of the poorly constructed frame it Feel off. But the Hose reel itself ended up in the Junk pile first before the Frame. The Honda Engine and pump are good and the Small lid is a matter of buying an other lip either 12" or 16" and cutting the tank to make it fit.

Looking at the Picture I see Northern has changed the frame and hopefully it is stronger and will hold up. Some one complained about it being a hand crank reel and the Specs say it is electric rewind. My Northern sprayer also had a hand crank as a back up and because of the Cheap quality of the reel I had occasion to use it.

daveyo
06-09-2007, 07:43 PM
This is a good thread I am also looking at the space saver. I saw a guy towing a sprayer but I think thats illegal, not totally sure. So is the space saver good for the money? or is there a better option?

Victor
06-09-2007, 09:49 PM
This is a good thread I am also looking at the space saver. I saw a guy towing a sprayer but I think thats illegal, not totally sure. So is the space saver good for the money? or is there a better option?

Reread post #7 in this thread.

daveyo
06-12-2007, 06:04 AM
Victor I briefly checked it out, what was the final price and where do I get one, it's the V-200 ST right? I would research it myself but I would appreciate any knowledge, thanks.

Victor
06-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Victor I briefly checked it out, what was the final price and where do I get one, it's the V-200 ST right? I would research it myself but I would appreciate any knowledge, thanks.

That's right. It's a v-200. Gregson Clarke is a sponsor of this forum. If you look at the top of this page, you'll see their logo up there. Click on it and you'll be taken to their homepage. Call Rhett and he can give you all the info and more on V-200 skid sprayers.

While Spacesavers are very nice sprayers, I like the fact that Gregsons have a Honda engine,,, instead of a Kawasaki. They also have Udor-Kappa pumps and a hose reel big enough to hold 500' of 3/8" hose. My sprayer also came with a locking lid (something Lesco told me they couldn't offer me in a Spacesaver).

My V-200 is a model of simplicity. I don't have hoses running everywhere. Everything is laid out in a simple, yet effective way. Another thing that sold me on this unit.

I also have more room in the bed of my truck, than I'd have with a Spacesaver. I can't put a cap over the bed of my truck with a V-200 in it though (I never planned to use a truck cap, so that's not a problem for me).

daveyo
06-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks a lot Victor, I was at Lesco today to get some things and I started asking a bunch of questions. One main thing was the diaphragms going a lot, is this true with all spray pumps?

mkroher
06-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks a lot Victor, I was at Lesco today to get some things and I started asking a bunch of questions. One main thing was the diaphragms going a lot, is this true with all spray pumps?

I change mine every year. No big deal. It's fairly easy to do.

boats47
06-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Do yourself a favor and get a split 300 gal with a bean pump. That way you are not limited as I am to what I can do and for simple resale value.

Victor
06-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Do yourself a favor and get a split 300 gal with a bean pump. That way you are not limited as I am to what I can do and for simple resale value.

Gregson-Clarke has injection systems you can add to their skid sprayers that will allow you to do that. They also sell modular tank set-ups that will allow you to go the "split" route also.

Ric
06-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Gregson-Clarke has injection systems you can add to their skid sprayers that will allow you to do that. They also sell modular tank set-ups that will allow you to go the "split" route also.

Victor

I love the Idea of an Injection system and have looked into them very heavy. I would advise anyone to stay away from injection systems until they are perfected.

Victor
06-12-2007, 10:21 PM
That sounds like good advice to me.