PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Blade Problem?

rgn2001
06-07-2007, 10:00 PM
I bought a NEW blade for this season and 2 months in it appears my blade is not cutting right. I have attached 2 pictures, one close up, one further away. Could anything else cause what is happening? I don't get it.

Thanks for any help.

Skyking
06-07-2007, 10:03 PM
More details, Is the blades sharp? Belts tight? how about the RMP?

Grits
06-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Wow, you bought a new blade.
You have to sharpen it often.:hammerhead:

Grits
06-07-2007, 10:05 PM
What kind of mower? 21"?

JimQ
06-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Blades on upside down? It happens.

lawnMaster5000
06-07-2007, 10:40 PM
i agree the blade is upside down. If not then it is installed wrong in some way or VERY very dull

craglawnmanor
06-07-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm guessing the blade needs to be sharpened. The grass looks like it is being pulled when cut, which is something dull blades will do.

Runner
06-07-2007, 11:30 PM
I'll bet on upside down.

fiveoboy01
06-08-2007, 02:02 AM
Yah, the way the grass is pushed down, I'd guess upside down.

Either that or duller than a bar full of nuns...

rgn2001
06-08-2007, 08:30 AM
It can't be upside down because I have been mowing with it since April and this was not happening until the last 2 mows. Unless somebody took the blade off and flipped it. I guess it already needs sharpening. Unbelievable.

Thanks

themowerman
06-08-2007, 08:36 AM
After two months you guess it needs sharpening??? LOL Did you replace the blades as a set? Did you also check your tire pressures and deck pitch? Worn blades and too much pitch will give you uncut strips.

topsites
06-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Uhm yeah I usually sharpen my blades every single day the machine goes out, on a Wb you should be greasing the zerks as well, and check the oil before each and every cut (or you run synthetic), don't forget the precleaner and check the belts and bearings and clips and pins and grommets and every other part, just a quick go-over does it, once you get good, 20 minutes.

I'd have to guess you did put gas in it :laugh:
You really should be using a name brand premium, but nevermind this for now.

Hardcore, I know, they call me crazy, the rest wonder why I have an attitude.

It can't be upside down because I have been mowing with it since April and this was not happening until the last 2 mows. Unless somebody took the blade off and flipped it. I guess it already needs sharpening. Unbelievable.

Thanks

Yes, it's a blade problem, my vote would've been upside down as well, this is one guess I missed. ;)

Runner
06-08-2007, 10:32 AM
So, let me get this straight...The blade hasn't been changed, sharpened or even touched since April? Oh boy.....

VanceTrendov
06-08-2007, 10:44 AM

Thanks

Our guys try to sharpen there blades and clean there decks daily....but that never happens. Every other day or at min once a week. We also cut about 20-30 lawns a day (small postage stamp). When you say you have been mowing with it since April thats a long time....yet how many lawn care you mowing. make sure you clean your deck well, and sharpen your blade often.

Vance

rgn2001
06-08-2007, 12:35 PM
I know this is a commercial lawn mowing site, but this is just a mower I am using on my own house. This is the only site around where there are people who can help and give information so that is why I posted. There are no other forums out there for personal lawnmowing issues. Well at least that have a decent amount of people on it. So you can stop the jokes because I have not mowed 400 lawns.

I figured the blade should last the season for me since it is one 1/2 acre lawn. I will sharpen and see what happens.

Thanks for any help.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
06-08-2007, 12:36 PM
The blades are dull ,you can tell its not a clean cut. your just tearing the grass to pieces. Sharpen the blades then take another pic and compare them so you can see for yourself.

dvblandscaping
06-08-2007, 12:50 PM
I had an old scag that did the same thing... My problem was a spindle, and a destroyed belt becuase of the spindled being crap. make sure the belt is tight.

TLS
06-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Looks like a push mower that your using?

Is the deck level?

Are you getting full RPM's?

Need a lot more info in order to help you.

How about some pictures of the mower, blade, etc.

bohiaa
06-08-2007, 06:49 PM
WHAT......... you have been cutting with this blade for 2 months ???

and your wondering why it cuts badly ???

O PLEASE,,,,,,, I can only get a month outta blades.......

sharpen 2 sometimes 3 X a week.......

am I missing something here ?

N.H.BOY
06-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Come on cut him some slack, he said he does'nt cut a ton of lawns, just his and he's a home owner.

lawnMaster5000
06-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Considering you are only mowing your own lawn you should not be having a big problem with the blade sharpness, but it is easy to see if the blade is dull. I like to keep a super (almost knife) type edge on my blades, yours should be about as sharp as a butter knife in your kitchen.

Try getting your blade sharpened, most lawn mower repair shops can do that for about $10-15. Make sure you don't pay more than it is to buy a new blade.

Second make sure your engine is running as fast as it was when you bought the mower. Give us a little more information about the mower and we will be able to better assist you in finding the problem.

Best of luck.

Bill M
06-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm just a home owner, I sharpen my mower blade in the spring before the first cut, not quite razor sharp, but sharp. I then check after every time I mow. Sometimes I go for a few months, sometimes one month for sharpening after that. It all depends on the length and thickness of the grass, those wood chips can take a toll if I don't rake them back into the flower bed. I learned mower maintance when worked on a lawn crew in my late teens/early twenty's(now in my thirty's). I just use a cheap sharpener/balancer from Home Depot/Lowes.

mkroher
06-08-2007, 10:29 PM
You don't want a blade razor sharp.

I think you went beyond the point of no return with your sharpening/balancing act. buy a new blade.

hess
06-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Dull blade, Very bad nick or some one needs to back to sharpening school?

twj721
06-08-2007, 11:02 PM
So, let me get this straight...The blade hasn't been changed, sharpened or even touched since April? Oh boy.....
Are you sure that you even have a blade left grease worms might have ate it:laugh:

Bill M
06-09-2007, 12:36 AM
My blade is not Razor sharp, usually about 1/16 point. Last year I only sharpened once after the spring, and that was in late July.

sheshovel
06-09-2007, 01:02 AM
I just have to say YES this is a blade problem! ROFLMAO! Sharpen it!

rgn2001
06-09-2007, 06:01 AM
My mower is a Craftsman 6.5hp How can you tell if it is running at full RPM's?

Thanks

bohiaa
06-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Come on cut him some slack, he said he does'nt cut a ton of lawns, just his and he's a home owner.

I guess I missed that part

topsites
06-09-2007, 08:47 AM
I am sorry, in the first pic it looks like a Z's tracks with an odd stripe down the center, only looking towards the edge of the picture does the 21's tracking become more obvious, I never saw that.

It is thou, the blade is dull, guys like myself sharpen every 5-8 cuts and even then they go dull sometimes, might've got into some dirt or wood without knowing it, good luck and sorry about the bad taste jokes.

kmann
06-09-2007, 09:22 AM

That is an EXTREMELY dull Blade. can you even imagine? I change mine every other day!

lawnMaster5000
06-09-2007, 11:58 AM
According to my calculations you want an engine speed of about 3,300 RPM with a 21" blade to achieve 18,000 FPM blade tip speed.

You can find your engine speed by buying something like this:
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0005943520319a.shtm

-or-

You can take the engine in to a mechanic, but I would think the tach is cheaper option.

Either way, if you have experience with this stuff, as it sounds you do then you should be able to tell if the engine is running slow. To get the quality of cut you have the engine would have to be running pretty slow.

You can also check the bottom of the deck to see if there is something wrapped around the blade.

Possible post a picture of the bottom of your mower deck including the blade and under deck images.

Stillwater
06-09-2007, 12:03 PM
dude, check blade sharpness and tip speed clean your deck Hire someone to mow for you. take the day off.

HOOLIE
06-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Just buy a new mower...

puppypaws
06-09-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what Cabela's has that he is talking about.

Sharpen your blade, if that takes care of it wonderful if not you need to check the engine speed. If the rpm's are correct according to specs you need to check the spindle to make sure there is not a bearing problem. You should have the problem solved by now if not you need the blade tip speed checked and looked at by a professional if you can find one. Mechanic's are like doctor's there is about 1 good one in a hundred. I am assuming it is direct drive.

Grits
06-09-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what Cabela's has that he is talking about.
Sharpen your blade, if that takes care of it wonderful if not you need to check the engine speed. If the rpm's are correct according to specs you need to check the spindle to make sure there is not a bearing problem. You should have the problem solved by now if not you need the blade tip speed checked and looked at by a professional if you can find one. Mechanic's are like doctor's there is about 1 good one in a hundred. I am assuming it is direct drive.

A muzzle loader so he can put it out of it's misery.:gunsfirin

lawnMaster5000
06-13-2007, 08:06 AM
my link to cabellas was supposed to take you to a Tiny-Tach.

Click the link and then search Tiny-Tach and you will get there.

Sorry for the bad link.

lawnMaster5000
06-28-2007, 05:23 PM
figure out what the problem was?

puppypaws
06-28-2007, 05:58 PM
figure out what the problem was?

Maybe he bought a new mower, I would like to have known what the problem was.

johnnywill08
06-28-2007, 06:10 PM

Thanks

already???? dude, its june.

drmiller100
06-28-2007, 08:54 PM

Thanks

Yup, unbelievable.

hess
06-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Maybe he bought a new mower, I would like to have known what the problem was. I think all of us would like to know so we don't do the same thing:laugh:

John Gamba
06-29-2007, 08:52 AM
I know this is a commercial lawn mowing site, but this is just a mower I am using on my own house. This is the only site around where there are people who can help and give information so that is why I posted. There are no other forums out there for personal lawnmowing issues. Well at least that have a decent amount of people on it. So you can stop the jokes because I have not mowed 400 lawns.

I figured the blade should last the season for me since it is one 1/2 acre lawn. I will sharpen and see what happens.

Thanks for any help.

Sharpen the blade and go in a different direction. Let us know how you do.Oh dont cut so fast.

StBalor
06-29-2007, 08:58 AM

Thanks for any help.

Home owners should sharpen their blades every 10 cuts or after every 10 hours of use. More so if your lawn is not ideal. Such as sandy conditions.

hess
06-29-2007, 02:28 PM
:laugh: i thought this was grass cutting not rock cutting:laugh:

John Gamba
06-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Sharpen the blade and go in a different direction. Let us know how you do.Oh dont cut so fast.

I forgot:dizzy: clean your deck out:)