PDA

View Full Version : Impact wrench or breaker bar for blade removal?

fritowrdo
06-07-2007, 10:27 PM
I tradionally have had the dealer do my blade sharpening at the end of the year but I am thinking of doing mid season blade changing.

I am thinking breaker bar but would a impact wrench be more useful?

Tadams
06-08-2007, 01:45 AM
Are you talking about the Toro 21"er? If so, an impact will make it alot easier but that is a sizable investment. A breaker bar will do the job. Just use a small piece of 2x4 to wedge the blade so it doesn't move. Take the plug wire off the plug also.

leejp
06-08-2007, 09:21 AM
I have a cheap impact wrench and a small compressor and it didn't budge the blade bolt on my redhawk 36" the first time I took the blade off. A 4' length of steel pipe slipped onto a 1/2" socket driver did the trick.

I put permatex on the threads and hand tightened using an 18" breaker bar.... There's no slipping and I've taken the blades on/off a couple of times with no problems.

I suspect that a larger compressor and a better impact wrench might have done the job. But with my limite use (homeowner maybe 1x/month), I can't justify a $150+ impact wrench (my whole mechanics air tool set didn't cost that much).

nmurph
06-08-2007, 09:45 AM
sharpen once per year?????? did i read that right??

TAZ
06-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Impact wrench for me. Less time and less hassle than using the 2x4 and the bar but I can see that it's hard to justify if your only use as a homeowner is to remove your blade. You should be sharpening about every 8-10 hours of actual mowing time.

-TAZ

fishinpa
06-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Lowe's has an item called "Blade Breaker" and I think it costs about $7.00 to $8.00. It has 1 large easy to use 'screw' that you wedges to the deck and the arms on it hold the blade in place while you remove the bolt. This is MUCH safer than the 2x4 deal which I used to do myself. Highly recommended! Don't forget to try to somehow check you blades are balanced. They also have this $2.00 piece of plastic that you can set the blade on to see if its somewhat balanced. Not very highly accurate by any means, but I think it works well enough for a homeowners purposes.

I'm able to remove the blades from my MFT with a standard length 3/8 driver and socket.

NOTE: I'd have to concur with where I think nmurph is trying to go with his question above... you need to sharpen a bit more that once a year. Once a year... you ought to just replace the blade(S). I sharpen my blades about monthly. So often so that I rarely need more than a hand file to clean up the edge.

Budget
06-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I use a breaker bar on my equipment. Blades are sharpend when needed. If you hit alot of sticks and stone you might have to sharpen at 5 lawns. I inspect them and the first nick i find they all come off.

fritowrdo
06-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I agree with doing the blade changes more than once a year and that is why I am looking at a breaker bar.

I plan on getting a 24" 1/2" breaker bar by Duralast from Autozone unless you guys say not too.

I just plan on having the dealer sharpen my blades since I will do it a couple times a year.

I did pick up one of those blade 'lockers' to hold the blade while you remove the locking bolt.

flgtr95
06-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Arnold "Blade Breaker" (~$10) and 3/8" breaker bar (~$13) from Lowes works everytime. A little Fluid Film helps too.

razor1
06-08-2007, 04:13 PM
1/2'' IMPACT WRENCH WITH CASE $79. at Harbor Freight....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45252

and I've seen them on sale for $39.00 :rolleyes:

Ray Zorback
06-08-2007, 10:50 PM
1/2'' IMPACT WRENCH WITH CASE $79. at Harbor Freight....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45252

and I've seen them on sale for $39.00 :rolleyes:

How big of a compressor do you need for one of those?

twj721
06-08-2007, 10:59 PM
I use a 1/2 dr air impact wrench but when I can not get the nut loose with that I bring out the heavy tools , I have a 4 to 1 multiplyer that and a piece of chain gets them loose everytime

ke5hbd
06-09-2007, 01:53 AM
What I a 1/2 inch electric impact and a blade saver and it works real well.

If your not interested in an air compressor the electric impact works well.

Air compressors nad air tools are great items to have.

If i read you post right you stated you have the dealer sharpen the blades once a year?

You really need to maintain your blades more freguently than that.

Nosmo
06-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Cub Tank and I use two 1/2" breaker bars. Why two ?

One for the bolt on top of the spindle and another for the bottom nut holding the blade. I use the breaker on top blocked into a frame member .

These nuts and bolts take a 1-1/8" socket. An impact wrench would not budge them the first time I pulled the blades. I had to use a 4 foot cheater pipe to break them loose.

If I were pulling these blades more often I might consider the special Lowes has on their electric impact with a set of sockets for just under $100.00.

Nosmo

ed2hess
06-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I agree with doing the blade changes more than once a year and that is why I am looking at a breaker bar.

I plan on getting a 24" 1/2" breaker bar by Duralast from Autozone unless you guys say not too.

I just plan on having the dealer sharpen my blades since I will do it a couple times a year.

I did pick up one of those blade 'lockers' to hold the blade while you remove the locking bolt.
Taking these blades off is very simple ....just use a socket wrench or a plain craftman boxend wrench 13/15". I take many many off of different types of mowers and I am an old man that isn't very strong and have absolutely no problem.

nmurph
06-11-2007, 07:55 AM
i agree with ed. i believe that if you need more than a wrench to break you nut loose, they are probably over tight. others may disagree, but i have never had a problem with them slipping after a tightening with just a wrench. i have a milwaukee impact wrench, but it is overkill for the mower.

razor1
06-14-2007, 03:25 PM
How big of a compressor do you need for one of those?

Sorry for the delayed response.....
The impact I mentioned is 110 volt electric. It usually works but air impacts can have more power.

fritowrdo
06-16-2007, 08:28 PM
It looks like it came off easier than I thought. I just used my bolt onto the frame blade holder and my longest wrench matching the bolt and it came right off. I got a new blade from my daughters for fathers day.

DCE
06-16-2007, 09:20 PM
I've always used a breaker bar. Works fine for me!

Ray Zorback
06-16-2007, 10:54 PM
Sorry for the delayed response.....
The impact I mentioned is 110 volt electric. It usually works but air impacts can have more power.

Thanks, I didn't click the link. I assumed it was an air impact.

jkingrph
06-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Have an air impact, but bought a Dewalt 1/2"drive cordless for both the mower and to take on road trips in case of flats. It is flawless and more convenient than the air impact.

cgaengineer
06-17-2007, 10:19 PM
And if you remove every 8 hours you may not need a breaker bar.