PDA

View Full Version : For your viewing pleasure

DVS Hardscaper
06-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Small, 2 level patio in the works.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/ScapeItWS6360CJ7/Tequila%20Sunrise/

YardMedic
06-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Very nice (so far). What's the plan for house stairs? Have you looked at that stair frame (I forget the name) that's in a thread here on lawnsite?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-09-2007, 10:22 PM
What stone are you using for your steps?

DVS Hardscaper
06-10-2007, 10:52 AM
wall and steps material is Techo 3" mini creta.

No step frames. We build our own steps :)

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-10-2007, 11:05 AM
wall and steps material is Techo 3" mini creta.

We don't have Techo Creta, but we have Paveloc Creta stone. I wonder if they are the same just different label. I really like the look of that block.

DVS Hardscaper
06-10-2007, 03:31 PM
i doubt they are the same.

The owner of Techo prides his company based on that everything they produce is their own creation.

cgland
06-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Looks Lincoln Loggy!

Chris

daveyo
06-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Ive seen nicer i.e Mckee landsdcaping, lets see the finished product. Still nicer than I could do though.

Grn Mtn
06-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Is that a new house? How do you account for settling around the foundation, that always worries me with new construction. Nice work BTW.

YardMedic
06-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Is that a new house? How do you account for settling around the foundation, that always worries me with new construction. Nice work BTW.

Good call on that -- makes sense, though I imagine they took extra care to compact everything three times as much to eliminate settling

neversatisfiedj
06-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Yeah right.

DVS Hardscaper
06-11-2007, 06:20 PM
the house is around 7 yrs old.

ChampionLS
06-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Looks Lincoln Loggy!

Chris

Did you note that DVS Hardscaper is using 2A Stone as the fill material for the raised patio? You haven't said anything about it yet. Wheres the clean stone only comments...

DVS Hardscaper
06-13-2007, 06:45 PM
I have NO idea what "2A stone" is.

But we use what in MD is called 'CR8'.

Which is 3/4-inch aggregate down to dust. It's solid as concrete.

ChampionLS
06-13-2007, 09:06 PM
I have NO idea what "2A stone" is.

But we use what in MD is called 'CR8'.

Which is 3/4-inch aggregate down to dust. It's solid as concrete.

Well, your on the right track. In other words, your using QP, Roadstone, Dirty stone, 2a modified etc etc etc. Yes it packs very well. My point is, you filled (as it appears in your photos) your raised patio with it. -Which is how we have always done from day one.

In the thread "Wright Frames" we have been hashing it out whether or not clean stone (2b) is adequate for this purpose. ICPI technical bulletins specify to build a raised patio, or staircase using clean stone on the outside edges (same as a retaining wall) and use solid, compactable fill elsewhere.

I had a fellow contractor suggest to use clean stone for backfill, as it self levels quicker. We tried it on one job, which also contained steps. Yes, the job went quicker... however water will eventually find its way down and saturate your subgrade. This may or may not cause a problem down the road. With one of my projects that had no overdig zone, it caused accelerated settling and a much longer time to repair. Had I used modified stone (dirty stone), we could have just re-leveled the steps and moved on.. but like loose marbles in a jar, once you remove the bottom step, everything above that comes loose and you have to start completely over. It also makes laying pavers on top more tedious, as the entire area must be wrapped in geotextile to keep bedding sand from migrating down into that clean stone. I wasn't particularly fond of the hollow sound that we heard while leveling the risers on the first construction. The whole staircase sounded like a plywood box. Now it's filled in with dense compacted stone and it solid as a rock.

~A

DVS Hardscaper
06-13-2007, 10:16 PM
I see, I see. I skimmed through that ma-larkie. Not sure what that was all about.

Well......In terms of my company's practices - what we use and what we do are things are derived from loads of first hand experience. Not theory. If something didn't work, then we would NOT do it. I AM huge on reputation. And the last thing I'm gonna do is give our client's neighbors a reason to NOT call us. :)

Yep! Our patios ARE pitched so that the water RUNS off and away. I don't even think twice or worry about drainage or water going here or water goin there. We have over 300 paver jobs under our belt and not one of them has ever had a water issue :)

Ya know, I'm this certified and that certified, attend this seminar and that, but that does NOT mean that I agree and practice with is preached. Some things are learned from trial and error.

There is something that that we do where 2 yrs ago ICPI swore it was a terrible terrible practice. Now...they're advocating it!