PDA

View Full Version : poison ivy

workinghorse
06-08-2007, 12:06 AM
What is the best remedy?

mirrorlandscapes
06-08-2007, 01:01 AM
Try Jewel weed, you can order it online. A friend of mine got it all over his face last year and he noticed big improvements in a few days.

Hope it helps.

jvorwald7
06-08-2007, 01:06 AM
calamine lotion. it makes a pink spot where u put it, but it washes off. but it works really good.

topsites
06-08-2007, 01:08 AM
You need something that breaks up the oil, and washes it off.

Tough Oil-breaking detergents

One thing some folks mention was that one should shower or bathe with "soap". NO!
Soap is only marginally effective at solubilizing cresols [actives in PI].

Use some "high end" dish detergent designed to go after oils and greases, like Dawn here in the US.
Joy would work, too.
Bathe or shower, and use good quantities of detergent, then rinse thoroughly, the cooler the water temperature, the better the immediate relief, to a point.

Poison Ivy keeps its poison in an oil base that is active in all seasons, dead plant or living, and on any surface touched by the oil. Use detergent to release the oil from clothing, tools and you.

Tougher Oil vs. oil, then oil-breaking detergents.

Note: Watch your footing, your shower floor will get extremely slippery with oil-vs-oil!
> Might recommend not standing, this below method is likely to be slick as black ice.

Likes dissolve likes. use an oil product such as Johnson's baby or Neutrogena's body bath oil on areas that may have come in contact with Poison ivy. Rub in with a wash cloth while in the shower, repeat then follow up with a liquid or powdered dish washing detergent such as dawn or joy. then flush with plenty of water. This usually works in reducing the amount of resultant rash significantly. Any remaining rash can be soothed by a colloidal oatmeal containing product like Aveeno.

Toughest

GoJo (but watch where you go with this stuff, keep it away from sensitive areas like the eyes and the crotch).
Then, bathe or shower.

Many other remedies are discussed, but I like the oil-based attack solutions best.
Source: http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/welcome.html

Nosmo
06-08-2007, 06:34 AM
After the cleaning to get relief from the swelling and itching try Solarcaine . It contains Aloe Vera . I tried straight Aloe Vera but the Solarcaine works better. I used the Solarcaine when out in public --- Calamine Lotion at home.

Got into a batch earlier in May and had it on both arms and all over my face. Got rid of it using both products in less than a week.

Nosmo

Bagit
06-08-2007, 07:24 AM
What is the best remedy?

If i contact poison ivy i usually have to make a trip to the doctor.:walking: None of the lotions work on me. I guess i get a mild allergic reaction to the poison.

Bunton Guy
06-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Im highly allergic. If I get one spot...it turns out to be ALL over my body.

I take the most violent approach to poison ivy as I have had it at least twice a year in bad cases. I usually scratch it like I shouldn't ...i know i know
Then take rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab and grace over the open scratched areas. IT will be dry by the next day and quit bothering me. I don't suggest this as most people scar easily & I don't. But this is how I usually deal with it if its in large areas.

Mowing Freak
06-08-2007, 08:54 AM
You can also go to the doctor and get a shot that will reduce swelling in a matter of just hours and will be gone in 2-3 days. Doctor told me to take an antihistamine to help with the itching. I'm not talking about the prevenative shot for poison ivey that you can't get anymore. This is a quick acting medicine.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
06-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Be a man and use clorox. It burns like hell but it works and will get rid of it fast (1-2 days) and its cheap.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
06-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Be a man and use clorox. It burns like hell but it works and will get rid of it fast (1-2 days) and its cheap.

Exactly, works very well and dry's it up quick. :laugh:

slowpoe
06-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Scratch open & bleach works great

Herrick
06-08-2007, 11:41 AM
There's some stuff at Walgreen's that I've found to work good, called Zanfel... about $40 a tube, but it does work. Stops the itching and makes it go away in 3 days or so. http://www.zanfel.com/

causalitist
06-08-2007, 02:23 PM
aww man, i just got that last weekend camping. my legs are seroiusly bleeding and scabbed up. its sooo gratifying to scratch the crap out of it. almost enjoy it if i wouldnt bleed. cheap asz skin lol

was funny, my girlfriend was pleading with me to stop like i was gonna die. "stop! your hurting yourself!" hahahah

johnnywill08
06-08-2007, 05:31 PM
either use"technu" b/f and after you get itno it.... reduces/prevents outbreak... or gas after contact w/ it..... works, i'm serious.

thilawncare
06-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah i scratch and use rubbing alchol it works... i have heard about gas.. it works too i hear.. but never about clorox, i get the most sevre Poison ivy... highly allergic to it.. its bad.. but i will try bleach next time for sure.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
06-08-2007, 07:42 PM
The pharmacists was the one who told be about the clorox.

Bgaz
06-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Hairdryer- low heat setting, few inches from area, takes the itch out for hours.

Jason
06-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Try tecnu Extreme www.teclabs.com/safty

Worked good for me. Used there free samples I got at a show, need to
order some more.

DiyDave
06-08-2007, 09:57 PM
I'll second the post about Jewel weed. It works best when you take a bunch of it and mash the stems up in a bucket half full of warm water, and let it sit in the sun for a day (lidded). When it's ready, it smells like Scope mouthwash-kinda medicinal. You can generally find it in low spots during the hot part of the year (In MD, July/August/Sept) It grows about 4' tall or less, and has orange-yellow flowers about 3/4 inch or less. When the flowers set seed, if you touch the seedpod, it will shoot out at you, that's how it gets it's other name Touch-me-not. It is a native form of impatiens, so if you know what the leaf and flower of that plant looks like, Jewel weed is similar.:cool2: :cool2:

green814
06-08-2007, 11:32 PM
I used A&H baking soda & took a bath in it. Scratched the hell out of my legs, couldn't believe how much better I felt.

At least I think that is what I had, P.I., never had it before last summer, & still not sure EXACTLY which house I got it at.???????

Chris

lawnboyblake
06-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Exactly, works very well and dry's it up quick. :laugh:

Exactly...
I've been doin this for years also. First time I got it I went to the doctor and he gave me a prednisone prescription but the bleach is WAYYYY better. Instant, cheap relief. And no scarring for me....:weightlifter:

Steppenwolf
06-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Hairdryer- low heat setting, few inches from area, takes the itch out for hours.

Not a cure but it is the remedy for the itches I have found.

grapeford
06-09-2007, 11:21 PM
I used to weed whack huge patches of it with shorts on . Doesn't effect me.
Guess you can't hurt steel

Grits
06-09-2007, 11:39 PM
I used to weed whack huge patches of it with shorts on . Doesn't effect me.
Guess you can't hurt steel

Doesn't effect me either. I was pulling it by hand the other day.

65hoss
06-10-2007, 12:05 AM
I keep a bottle of Ivy Block in the truck for the times we must work with it in shrubs or landclearing jobs. Also, I've been known to keep Dawn dish washing liquid around to wash the oils off. It works pretty good.

Two other things that dry up poison ivy pretty quick...Jet fuel or Carb cleaner.

I've personally used carb cleaner many times over the years. Works good with little to no pain.

SpikeGT
06-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Like someone mentioned earlier, get Zanfel from the drug store. Takes itch away and dries it up real quick.

Envy Lawn Service
06-10-2007, 02:24 AM
I got this stuff from AXE.

It's a body wash.
It's a rather bright metallic yellow color with little blue specks in it..
It's called Snake Peel shower scrub with desert minerals and cactus oil.

The little blue specks in it are like gritty little scrubby beads.

I wash with this stuff daily and since I started using it, I have had no new outbreaks.
I guess it removes the oils?

I try my best not to get it. I've had both poision ivy and poison oak bad enough that I guess it's like in my bloodstream. I have told the story here before, but the point is that I have spontanious outbreaks of both from time to time. Seems to be heat activated. Like if I fall asleep laying on my hand and stay on it all nite. Then I'll break out on or between my fingers. Crazy.

I'd like to know how to cleanse my system of it.

I'm to the point now that I've had so many outbreaks that I can just block out the itch and not touch it. If I don't scratch it in my sleep it doesn't spread and it goes away pretty quick.

sheshovel
06-10-2007, 04:33 AM
Forget all that crap and buy the ONLY thing that works and that is Tecnu poison Ivy, poison Oak wash. The U.S. Forest Service uses it, and I use it and I have had many bad, bad experiences using other remedies before I started using Tecnu. Wash with it within ten min of contact and then use it if you already have a rash too. Use it per the directions on the box and buy the stuff they make to put on before you work around it as well to prevent you from getting it again. Immediately remove your clothes and wash them when you get home. Boots and laces. Wash down your hand tools and steering wheel and do not touch your private areas at ALL.

Nosmo
06-10-2007, 11:03 AM
I've had it pretty badly 5-times and the first time my Mom had me help clean out the flower bed. She wound up in the hospital for a few days and my eyes about swelled shut.

I've had it 4 other times since I moved here in 1990. Tried various cures and all will work with time. One saying is use over the counter cures and you'll be over it within 2-weeks -- don't use any cures and you'll be over it within 2-weeks too.

Well you folks who are satisfied with the cure method you have used should stick with it. Another cure which helped was hot water with Epsom Salt. Makes the itching stop for quite a while and helps break up and dry the blisters.

My neighbor across the street uses bleach. Sometimes he uses Gasoline and Motor Oil mixed. He gets P.I. easily.

The methods we prefer are just as varied as the Mowers we are using and swear by.

Nosmo

say'n somthin
06-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Prednizone

cgaengineer
06-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Try Jewel weed, you can order it online. A friend of mine got it all over his face last year and he noticed big improvements in a few days.

Hope it helps.

I will second the jewel weed! Do you know the most ironic thing about Jewel Weed? Jewel Weed grows near poison ivy in lots of cases, so the very plant that makes you itch has a natural combatant growing nearby.

Envy Lawn Service
06-11-2007, 11:34 PM
I just realized the Jewel Weed you guys are talking about is what I used as a kid.
I called them "Touch Me Nots".

It does work really well... much better than the over the counter stuff.
It's not always available though... I haven't seen any in a while.