PDA

View Full Version : Redmax 2600 or 3000?

JFizzle
06-08-2007, 01:31 AM
Need to get a new trimmer tomorrow. I've narrowed it down to these two and done a lot of reading on here about each - lots of good things about them both.

The new trimmer will mostly be used for weekly maintenance but I would like to have something strong enough to cut some brush and a few saplings every once in a while. Can the 2600 do this? I'd like to save 70 bucks if I can. Is there a huge/noticable difference between the 26 and 29 CC's? Can someone give me a comparison as far as power goes? How much do I need for what I'm doing?

Thanks.

02DURAMAX
06-08-2007, 01:38 AM
Is that the only brand you want or would you consider an Echo SRM-261T?

JFizzle
06-08-2007, 01:44 AM
I'm kinda stuck on redmax. I had an echo and liked it but over time have just converted everything to redmax mostly due to good dealer support.

02DURAMAX
06-08-2007, 01:46 AM
what is the weight differance on the two trimmers??....if not much i would pay the extra money and go with the bigger one..you can never have to much power..

Envy Lawn Service
06-08-2007, 01:52 AM
Get the 3000.

30cc at exactly the same weight as the 2600... no-brainer...

I don't do any brush work with RedMax stuff though.
So I can't give you a report there.

I use old Stihl's for that instead.
The Stihl's have noticably more rigid, brawny construction for that sort of thing.
So that's why I use them instead and haven't tried the RedMax at that.

I guess they would stand up to it, but get advice from someone that uses them for that.
I can't say either way...

But you WILL want the 30cc for that.

JFizzle
06-08-2007, 01:56 AM
Thanks to you both. I've kind of been leaning towards the 3000 because I'd rather have too much than too little.
I think the thing that has made me hesitant is realizing I'll be spending close to $400.

delphied
06-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Try Wisesales.com

Envy Lawn Service
06-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks to you both. I've kind of been leaning towards the 3000 because I'd rather have too much than too little.
I think the thing that has made me hesitant is realizing I'll be spending close to $400.

Well, I was trying RedMax on a trial basis and my dealer wanted well over $400 plus 7% sales tax for the 3000. I was floored when he told me. That was more than I was willing to put into a trial machine. But if I had it to do over, I would have gotten the 3000 anyways.

For what it is worth, I later caught him selling them online for $379 when he wouldn't budge for me. Pizzed me off because I would have gladly given him $379 for it.

captken
06-09-2007, 12:18 AM
I have 2 of them and no you cannot brush cut with them nor cut small sapplings.
They simply do not have the power. They are as rigid and hold up as well as anything I have used...

I have 2 Shindaiwa T-270s equipped with the speed loader head that will fit the bill. The most powerful trimmers I have ever used....they don't mess around.
The speed head is worth price of admission.

btw, I also have 2 Stihl trimmers, they are okay as well, I have a prefence for the Shindaiwa

Fully load it in under a minute.

captken
06-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Well, I was trying RedMax on a trial basis and my dealer wanted well over $400 plus
For what it is worth, I later caught him selling them online for $379 when he wouldn't budge for me. Pizzed me off because I would have gladly given him $379 for it.

He probably knew you were a pita....and didn't cut you any slack...:hammerhead: lol....kenny.

Envy Lawn Service
06-09-2007, 12:35 AM
I have 2 of them and no you cannot brush cut with them nor cut small sapplings.
They simply do not have the power. They are as rigid and hold up as well as anything I have used...

I have 2 Shindaiwa T-270s equipped with the speed loader head that will fit the bill. The most powerful trimmers I have ever used....they don't mess around.
The speed head is worth price of admission.

btw, I also have 2 Stihl trimmers, they are okay as well, I have a prefence for the Shindaiwa

Fully load it in under a minute.

Yes... the T270's are beasts... I used to run them.
Really strong and probably the best fit out there for a taller guy.

The Stihl FS85's I ran were not as powerful, but plenty tough, and just enough power for brushcutting... nothing over the top. They don't make those anymore though. I bet a 4-mix 130 or something would do pretty good.

He probably knew you were a pita....and didn't cut you any slack...:hammerhead: lol....kenny.

I really wanted that 3000, but wasn't about to pay that much for a "trial machine".
Seeing him selling them for $379 online later really ticked me off good.
That's just bad business to gouge your local guys like that.

He doesn't know it, but it has cost him the rest of my RedMax business I've done since.
One day I'll tell him....

ZX12R
06-09-2007, 06:27 PM
"I have 2 Shindaiwa T-270s equipped with the speed loader head that will fit the bill. The most powerful trimmers I have ever used....they don't mess around.
The speed head is worth price of admission."

I have 2 Shindaiwa T-260 's which is slightly below the T-270. They are the best weedwackers I have ever owned.

How much is the speed head? I may add to my T-260's but was not sure on how well they worked.
"

ed2hess
06-09-2007, 08:39 PM
"I have 2 Shindaiwa T-270s equipped with the speed loader head that will fit the bill. The most powerful trimmers I have ever used....they don't mess around.
The speed head is worth price of admission."

I have 2 Shindaiwa T-260 's which is slightly below the T-270. They are the best weedwackers I have ever owned.

How much is the speed head? I may add to my T-260's but was not sure on how well they worked.
"

I agree the Old T-270 was a very good machine, maybe the best ever but used it yesterday for about an hour and that baby is heavy.

ZX12R
06-09-2007, 08:47 PM
"I agree the Old T-270 was a very good machine, maybe the best ever but used it yesterday for about an hour and that baby is heavy."

Thats why I bought thr 260's. :)

Envy Lawn Service
06-09-2007, 10:10 PM
I agree the Old T-270 was a very good machine, maybe the best ever but used it yesterday for about an hour and that baby is heavy.

Amen...

The dealer I bought the 2600 from has his personal T270 sitting in the floor by his RedMax rack. It's probably been sitting there a year or so now for sale. After taking on RedMax he switched his out.

I grabbed it up when I was there for old time's sake.
Yeah boy... she's heavy... a lot heavier than the RedMax 3000.

captken
06-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Amen...

The dealer I bought the 2600 from has his personal T270 sitting in the floor by his RedMax rack. It's probably been sitting there a year or so now for sale. After taking on RedMax he switched his out.

I grabbed it up when I was there for old time's sake.
Yeah boy... she's heavy... a lot heavier than the RedMax 3000.

Heavy yes. You get used to it. I grab the Red Max every time because it is light and powerful enough.

The T-270s were new last year, replacements for old units, seems that EPA credits for Shindaiwa allowed them to sell the oldie but goodie redux. We use them for tough stuff, I bought them because I thought that I'd never get another chance to buy the 2-cycle polluting powerful trimmer.

Speed feed heads allow you to spool 20+ feet of line in a minute or less. tap and go. Use the Jungle Jims spool with cutter that keep things neat and tidy and fast for reloads.

Shindaiwa sells the speed head for the Red Max too.

The speed feed and the Jungle Jims spool with cutter is the best combo to have.

However,

Light duty, balanced and powerful, the Red Max is for everyday trimming. It's what you grab when its hot.

kenny.

Envy Lawn Service
06-09-2007, 10:50 PM
I'll have to check out that SpeedFeed head to see what it's all about.

I'm still in love with the RedMax 104+ heads.

captken
06-09-2007, 11:17 PM
I'll have to check out that SpeedFeed head to see what it's all about..

Our second year on them, you will not be disappointed.

Slick and easy to load. Run the line to the back of the trailer, from the spool. I had to go out and see what Jungle Jims calls it, [IT] is a Spool Mate. Cut line with the supplied cutter on the spool mate.

You got a piece of line, 20' long.

Line up the arrows on the back of the trimmer head, feed in the line till it comes out the other side.

Level line, pull it through to even it up.

Twist the back plate of the trimmer head and ratchet the line in, even out the lengths of line, and your good to go.

Smooth as silk, in about a minute, kenny.

No disassembly required.

Albemarle Lawn
06-09-2007, 11:59 PM
but keep in mind the dealer is not setting up these machines. New Redmax machines come in 2 boxes, motor in one and the rest in the other.

When he sells online the customer sets it up.

In the store, he has to mount the handle, guard, motor, and connect throttle and wires. Probably about 1/2 hour - 1 hour work.

Shop time is worth about $60 per hour, so if he sells for $379 mail order, that is a similar profit to $449 in store.

Plus he knows that machine won't come back for warranty, and he probably does not have to collect and remit sales tax, saving office/compliance time.