PDA

View Full Version : Starving... What would you be doing RIGHT now?

sancho_man_orlando
06-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Hey guys... I'm not saying I am... but IF I were...

What would you be doing right now?

Eric D
06-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Finding something to eat!

topsites
06-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Drawing money slowly out of a reserve and hope it don't run out, buy my food at the grocery salvage store, turn the A/C thermostat up to 81 and wear shorts and t-shirt and run fans, and I haven't even scratched the surface, the hot water heater thermostat sits at 130.

My shower has a water saver spigot, the toilets a water saving device as well, the whole house is lit with fluorescents, I hang my clothes outside to dry and wash with cold water only, the dollar store supplies a lot of cleaning supplies, drink water and watered down cheap coffee (no soda here), once a 1/3 of a gallon of milk is used up I fill it back up with water and then use it up, bread and eggs are cheap as is pasta, don't drive the car unless I HAVE to (maybe once / week and I said maybe), what else you want to know?

sancho_man_orlando
06-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Topsites, you're the man!

I read that and I was like yup doing that... yup that too. I own my vehicles outright which means no payment and less insurance, i don't even run the a/c... or the hot water... when i get hot I take a quick cold shower with my high pressure low water usage hotel type shower head, you hit most of them by the way.

That's funny.

I'm referring to as far as finding new business. Would you be out knocking doors at over grown residentials? Stopping in at every commercial spot you passed? Calling real estate agents pushing a "curb appeal" special for their slow selling houses? Calling other lcos to see if they had work they wanted to sub out?

What would you be doing to seek out $$$ paying customers?

I have the "outflow" side of my cashflow whittled down by living econimically, I want to figure out how to increase the other side. The income side.

Thanks Eric D never thought of that one...

MarcSmith
06-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Sancho,

place ads IN HOA Newsletters (usually pretty cheap) and you can target specific hoods with out having to run door to door hanging crap....

I found orlando to a very easy to find work so long as you did good quality work.

Commercial properties are mostly contracted and depending on the company the contract may fron from Jan-Dec. so any thing you do there may not do you any good for a few months.

If you are really down and you don't have a full schedule, go to place like HD or lowes and see if they need part-time help in the nursery or garden centers....

Id work as a greeter at walmart if it made the difference between going hungry or not....

Were in O-town are you. My business was in the Whisper Lakes, South Lakes area down near 417 and OBT

move outside your area. IE maybe head down to Kissimmee or up to sanford or out to clermont set up mowing for one day for those areas....if you don't have enough in you normal area you gotta expand you're coverage...

General Landscaping
06-08-2007, 10:03 PM
I suppose I'd have to try eating at home:cry:

I'm sure the manager at Carraba's would be calling to see what's wrong.

1MajorTom
06-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Drawing money slowly out of a reserve and hope it don't run out, buy my food at the grocery salvage store, turn the A/C thermostat up to 81 and wear shorts and t-shirt and run fans, and I haven't even scratched the surface, the hot water heater thermostat sits at 130.

My shower has a water saver spigot, the toilets a water saving device as well, the whole house is lit with fluorescents, I hang my clothes outside to dry and wash with cold water only, the dollar store supplies a lot of cleaning supplies, drink water and watered down cheap coffee (no soda here), once a 1/3 of a gallon of milk is used up I fill it back up with water and then use it up, bread and eggs are cheap as is pasta, don't drive the car unless I HAVE to (maybe once / week and I said maybe), what else you want to know?

Isn't internet a REALLY big splurge for you then?? :confused:

topsites
06-08-2007, 10:40 PM
I don't normally take cold water showers until July, mostly because the water's still a bit chilly, but yeah.

I forgot to mention, Big Lots is a good place to shop, too.

I just added a $20 box fan in the attic, to draw air through there 24-7, that thing will run until at least end of August, usually saves me considerably on A/C in the evenings (when, without a fan, the insulation would be saturated with HEAT from the day). It's a good 20 degrees cooler upstairs with that fan, for the most part of the day, maybe except early morning, but I run it on high from here on out. Something about that air moving, it still gets around to 120+'ish, but not 140-150!

Worst part is, I was just starting to get my lawn in shape, looks like that's taking a back seat now.

Isn't internet a REALLY big splurge for you then?? :confused:

It's an all in one package deal, with limited cable tv it comes to $65 a month.
The server's a bitty, I'll be moving sites to a smaller unit in July vs. waiting until winter, save me $30 / month there.

The Z is far worse, as is fuel, just got that bill, it finally caught up: $550.

Vikings
06-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Starving or not, Give me Kraft Dinner.

MarcSmith
06-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Starving or not, Give me Kraft Dinner.

Kraft Mac-n-yack. sorry I spend the estra 25 cents and do velveta shells and cheez...:)

HOOLIE
06-09-2007, 07:27 AM
buy my food at the grocery salvage store

I'm almost afraid to ask what exactly a 'grocery salvage' store is....I'm guessing it's the dumpster behind Applebee's???

Lohse's Lawn Service
06-09-2007, 12:38 PM
The 2000 Census shows Orlando, Florida having about 186,000 people. You knock on enough doors, you'll find customers. If the yard is overgrown, charge more the first time or two to get it in "shape" then charge a normal fee. You'll be alright. Just don't plan on "starving"!

MarcSmith
06-09-2007, 05:25 PM
the census is a bit off, as the greater Orlando Area encompaes about 30 miles all around orlando...

if you look on the map. from disney east to St cloud, then north to sanford, then west to clermont and back south to Disney. Is a huge Metropolitan area with tons of developments from the 100's on up to millions in home values....
There is alot of work to be had, but you may have to put in some windshield time... something I did not have to worry about, thankfully...

topsites
06-10-2007, 12:16 AM
I'm almost afraid to ask what exactly a 'grocery salvage' store is....I'm guessing it's the dumpster behind Applebee's???

No way, dumpster diving is against the law, you can get in big trouble for that.

No, we have here in town a small grocery store, they sell things as follows:
Auctioned off / overstock restaurant supply
> example: A gallon jug of Lite Mayonnaise: $3.40 (Yes, a gallon of mayo).
> ex: 13 pounds square piece of boneless ham: $16 (you need a meat slicer, btw retail on ham is ~$3 / pound)
Damaged packaging (dented cans and boxes, and such).
> ex: Breakfast cereal boxes for like a dollar, canned stuff for 40 cents (careful here, dents can release certain things in the steel, if the dent 'cracks' the inner coating)
Near or past expiration date (careful here, remember to freeze, a lot is already frozen at store).
> ex: 16-24 (idk, a pound) slices of wrapped cheese for a dollar, sometimes less, I've found 4-5 for a dollar.
> ex: Frozen cheese pizzas, 14", $1 each (man I cleaned out that day, but it was the only time I saw that).
Stuff that never sold well or past the 'big sale'
> ex: Last year's NFL energy bars, 12 for a dollar, made by snickers or some such big name.
etc, etc...

You do have to watch them, more than anything you have to know your prices, there are always a few items that are not a good deal at all lol. Sometimes still find a gallon of bleach for a dollar (a gallon, not that 3/4 crap)
But I usually fill up a grocery cart, if I splurge, for 60-70 bucks.
If I'm super thrifty, 30 or 40 dollars and I'm stocked for a bit.

My grocery budget is 125 / month, for myself.
I used to find this amount highly challenging, but after so many years it's easy.

sheshovel
06-10-2007, 03:21 AM
Illegally shooting a deer in my backyard and eating that. Along with some wild edible plants. If the world were coming to an end and I could not find work that is. Because the world would have to come to an end the day I could not find some kind of work to do to feed myself.